Nancy Joy's second surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all~~~

I am sorry for my silence. Long story short, I have been back in the hospital twice since surgery. I developed an extremely rare (the only kind I ever do) complication of a hemocele. I do no think I spelled that right. Anyway, a lymph node started leaking in my abdominal area creating a large cyst. They drained 1 1/2 liters of fluid on November 19th and I went home to wait. By the 22nd, it was definitely refilling. I came back to KU again (these 3 hour trips are very long when you are in a great deal of pain). and surgery was done to "rechannel" drainage into my abdominal area- 2 liters drained the 2nd time- on Nov. 25th. I will be here until tomorrow morning. I just discovered they have this family resource area a couple of days ago and the strength to sit here this morning to contact you all. NOW all I have to do is work on my back recovery!!! We missed any Thanksgiving celebration but Christmas is coming and I will be good to go for that!!!!! Everyday covered was a day of improvement on my back healing and I have my first "official" followup on Friday the 5th. Looking forward to a normal meeting with my doc. I have thought of you all so much and look forward to catching up on all the posts when I get home and can. I kept holding "even with complications, we would all do this again"- as a mantra through this. and I totally have the faith this is the way it will be for me also.

Your sis!!~
    Nancy Joy
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about the complications you've endured!

Was the hemocele a complication of the surgery? I hope it's under control now and you can concentrate on the healing of your back. It sounds like your positivity hasn't been too badly affected.

Thanks for updating us Nancy Joy. I hope from now on your recovery is as remarkable as your first.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yes, Nancy Joy-- thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I'm so sorry about the complications, but it sounds like you are doing ok now. Keep us posted when you can about your progress. Your attitude is great! Big (but gentle) hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh, Nancy ... I hate to hear you've had so much trouble. Sending good thoughts your way and hope you continue to mend!

Thanksgiving is a state of mind more than a day: My celebration will be sometime in the next few weeks as I head to Miramar to cook for my Marine kiddo (he's in from Okinawa for a month), a portion of his squadron that came over with him, and his buddies from Camp Pendleton - none of whom are able to go home for the holidays.

There could be 5 Marines ... there could be 30. In any case, they'll get their homecooked meal (even if we all have to sit on the floor), and no one will even *think* about the calendar. ;-)

Your attitude will carry you through this ... one step at a time. THEN you can have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Hugs,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry to hear you had complications, but it sounds like you're on the right path now! Continue to get better and better!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wishing for you a 'road less traveled!'

It's so good to hear from you Nancy Joy! There's no need to apologize for your silence - we are relieved to know what's going on with you. You have had quite a time of it haven't you? I feel for you making those extra trips to KC - 3 hours is 3 hours even if it is I-70! Just wanted you to know I have been thinking of you every day and greatly admire your grit, determination and positive attitude. Way to go!
              Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
              Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
              Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
              A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
              Achieved +70% Correction
              Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
              New Spine 03/19/2009
              New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Nancy Joy - It's GREAT to hear from you...but I had hoped you'd come bearing fabulous news as well The absurdly rare complications are my favourite kind, too, lol - I'm so glad you sound like you're in good hands & that the haemocele does not (??) affect the fusion. I so hope you have a smoother recovery from here on out. Even if I'm not here to post, I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Take care.

Comment

Hi Nancy Joy,
                  So good to hear from you and I also am sorry that you have had complications. I hope and pray that you won't have to deal with that ever again. I will pray for a rapid recovery from here on in. Gentle hugs from me also. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am back- again! I ended up having another surgery as the rerouting was not enough. I had another surgery on Dec. 11th- hopefully the last. It seems to be working alright. I am just happy I have been home over a week and it doesn't look like I will be going back!!! Thrilled to be home for Christmas. I rest a lot more now than I did before but I think this bod has said- "enough already, let me heal!!" Each day does see progress, even if it is little steps. I try to write things down to see the progress. You are a great group of encouragers and I am starting to read all that I missed. Merry Christmas to all!!!
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Great to hear from you again but so sorry that your second surgery brought forth a third! Little wonder you rest more these days. Please take it easy, be patient and get yourself right. Have a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year, Nancy Joy!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Nancy Joy,

You have been in my thoughts. I'm glad that finally they fixed your problem. How wonderful that you are able to be home for Christmas. Let us know how you're doing when you're up to it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi NancyJoy,
                          It is good to hear from you and I'm so sorry you have had these extra complications. Stay well, enjoy Christmas and don't overdo. My friends prepared my Christmas meals for me last year since I came home from the hospital the day before Christmas. I hope you aren't trying to do the cooking!
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                          X