No announcement yet.

My experiences....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting your best wishes Suzie and Lynn. Yes those screws sure look scary - very impressive when you show pics to people!!!
    I am very pleased with the results - a 200% correction from approx 70 'c' upper thoracic curve to a 20 degree with small compensatory at the bottom which I am hoping will in time straighten out a little. My surgeon was very pleased with the result considering my age.
    All the best to you Lynn - I can soooo sympathise with your waiting - hang on in there girl - your time will come and the waiting will soon be all over with.
    Louisse
    Ps - my scar is amazing - can hardly see it in some places - I have been very lucky that it has healed so well.
    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Hi Louisse!!!!

I was sooooo happy to read you post. I had my surgery on Oct 6th. It was a lumbar correction from tail to T10 / 50 degress to 3 degress. I pretty much have been doing everything. walking, shopping, wrapping, going out to dinner, etc, etc ,etc and wondering why I feel like crap most of the time. Your made me feel so normal. I am totally numb all around my low back and have pretty much constant pain when walking or standing on my low right side (where I used to and where he did the most work). I feel like I am raw and have a constantly pulled muscle. I KNOW I am doing alot and maybe too much but I was so active before the surgery that I think I go into denial and wonder why I'm not better. I don't have anyone around me except physical therapy to tell me that this could take 6 months to a year to really feel normal and it hasn;t even been 3 months. Next week my sister and I are going to Florida from Ct. for 5 days to take a break .My husband is going to take care of my 5 year old and hopefully I will relax and swim and sit by the pool. I am going to get a 'metal' card from my Dr for the airport I KNOW i am doing great but does anyone ever worry that they will be in chronic pain forever?
      I cut back the round the clock pain meds to 2 pills (dilaudid 2mg) per day.....so a total of 4mgs a day. My Dr says this is fine and when my pain goes down to a better level I will not have withdrawels. I love it that I am straight and almost 2 inches taller but can't wait to JUST BE NORMAL and not feel like a walking stiff. Please check out my pics (I love to show off my beautiful daughter!) she has saved my life through this-my wonderful husband too......thanks for listening to me vent. wendy-age 49-in Conn.
      wendy from Ct
      surgery Oct 6th 2008
      50 degree lumbar curve
      corrected to zero

Comment

Spellcheck

Please excuse my bad spelling. I rely too much on spellcheck! Wendy in Ct.
        wendy from Ct
        surgery Oct 6th 2008
        50 degree lumbar curve
        corrected to zero

Comment

Hi Wendy

Thanks for your post - great before and after pics wow 2 inches taller - I just made about 1 inch!!! It was great to read how you felt my post helped you - 'made you feel normal' I have gained so much from everyone else's posts so it is good to help! There are many different experiences to read on here isn't there and you can't help but compare?

You are right your daughter is a beautiful girl - don't we mums just love to show off our kids - I'm just the same. Great photos of you too - 49? you sure?

You sound real busy and this is probably why you are still sore - but keep using those muscles and things do improve. I'm still so sore and achey all the time but things are improving slowly (now nearly 4 months post op) if I remind myself how I was feeling a few months ago!

I hope you have or 'are having' a fab time in Florida.

Thanks again for your reply - it was great to read.

Louisse
          Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
          X