Hi, I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening, Jen

I've not yet talked about expected correction, but he was confident that he could do pretty well. To be honest, I'd happily take even modest correction. It's definitely something I'll be asking him when I see him again, or at pre-op appointments. I'd be thrilled with 60-70% correction - it'd take me down to only 20-30 deg. curve!

With regard to your question about possible vision problems, Dr. Askin did speak to me about this, too. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I think he put the odds at about 1 in 3,000. Perhaps I'm getting mixed up with other possible complications with that figure, but he did say it's quite uncommon. It can happen due to the pressure that builds up behind the eyes from being laid on the stomach for hours (9-10+ in my case). Any vision damage is to the peripheral vision (the edges of your vision fields), so wouldn't actually send a person "blind" in the traditional sense. As far as I remember, if this did occur, it can be in either one or both eyes. BUT - Dr. Askin did say they now use some type of head rest or something to help reduce the risk of it happening.

Hope this helps some. Goodnight

Comment

It does, thanks! Debbei told me about the pins they use in the States now, hopefully the headrest does the same job. I know the vision problems are rare, but in my negativity, I'm thinking someone is that one in......

But I'm getting less and less negative and this forum has definitely helped. I can even laugh at some things, I couldn't before. I think knowing many have gone through this before and come out of it with sense of humour intact, means a lot.

I agree a 20-30 degree curve would be fantastic, it's what I'm hoping for too. I think it would be barely noticeable and at least we'd know it won't go any further. I'd be very happy with that.

Have a nice day!

Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pins sound like fun!

I'll have to ask Dr. Askin or pre-op clinic what they actually do use, now I'm curious, lol. Perhaps I had things a little muddled with the head-rest (as you know, not all the details get absorbed when you're bombarded with them!).

I'm so glad things are feeling a little better for you. It is such a scary thing, but an exciting thing, too - you're right that no matter what the correction, it at least won't get worse

Post-op sucks, but post-post-op is Fantastic, I swear.

Best to you.

Comment

When do you next see Dr. Askin? - I'd be interested in what he says too, about the pins/headrest!

I've only had the one appt. and it doesn't sound like I'll have another but have decided if anything's worrying me, I'll ring and ask them to ask Dr. Askin and get back to me.

I am definitely feeling less "out of control" since joining the forum. I've been doing lots of reading.

Jen

Comment

Let me be late in welcoming you to the forums! As you've found there is a number of people that have a lot of good information.

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Ah! Now I understand why you're so calm and accepting of these surgeries, you're an old hand at it. And only 22! You have been through the mill but have not lost your positivity or humour. I do hope this upcoming op will be your last and you can get on with your life without having surgery hanging over you, as it must have done most of your life.
            Humour is important. I think we who have been 'blessed' with difficulties in life tend to have a greater sense of humour, an are generally happier with life. I also do not mean 'blessed' in a sarcastic way, what we go through in life is how we form who we are. Speaking for myself I am happy with who I am, and would not change much at all.

Did Dr. Askin say how much of a correction he is hoping to get? He told me 60% and he told Di, the former patient I spoke to, the same, but got 70% for her, which she was very happy with.
            I know that with my surgery my doctors were only telling my parents that they were going to keep the curve I had. (See xrays below) But they performed a miracle and straighted me big time. That may not be the case for everyone, and its not somethng to put a bet on, but it is possible.

I did see a fusion surgery on Youtube but a week later, I went back for a second viewing and couldn't find it. It was a NZ video, judging by the accents of the surgeons.
            I saw one a while back and my wife & I watched a good portion of it. It was completely facinating to me as it was a completely different proceedure from what I went through. If you look at my xrays, and others here on the forum you'll see the difference. Most people here have Harrington rods and I have Luque rods.

Again welcome to the forum, its always nice to have more people on the forums spelling words properly. 'humour', 'colour', 'metre', etc... All this American spelling can be trying.

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

its always nice to have more people on the forums spelling words properly. 'humour', 'colour', 'metre', etc... All this American spelling can be trying.
              LOL! Way too true, Brad! BUT - it's all better than "text speak" (aka. TXT speek lyk dis dat sum ppl think is all kewl n gr8 but make me WANT TO STRANGLE PEOPLE!! ).

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Qikdraw. I'm so glad I found these forums. I do love the internet!

Comment

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
                  LOL! Way too true, Brad! BUT - it's all better than "text speak" (aka. TXT speek lyk dis dat sum ppl think is all kewl n gr8 but make me WANT TO STRANGLE PEOPLE!! ).
                  LOL Yes txt speak is pretty bad! Its even worse if you are a video gamer like I am and see it a lot.

I live in the US, and have been for 7 years, but I'm originally from Canada. There is a lot of friendly teasing that goes on between the US and Canada about speech. Back when I was working I don't think there was a day that went by without a Canadian joke at me.

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  Thanks for the welcome Qikdraw. I'm so glad I found these forums. I do love the internet!
                  It is a great place, it brought so many of us, with the same problem, together. There is so much to learn here.
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                  X