No announcement yet.

I'm back-and need to vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Sally. You're not being critical at all, it was just a bone-headed move to wear the heels. It's just an automatic thing to put them on because I've worn HIGH heels since high school to compensate for being 5 foot nothing. And you're right, I really need to go find some cute flats now that I'm a full 2" taller! I definately learned my lesson. Fortunately during this time of year I can get away with jeans and tennis shoes. My office is situated out of the way and a lot of days, I'm not even noticed, and I like it that way. Flying under the radar, so to speak.

I haven't heard back from the doc yet, so I think I'll give them a call after lunch to get his thoughts on the neck thing. It's a little better today, so that's a plus!

When I woke up this morning and before I got up, I told myself that it's going to be a good day, I'm going to feel great, and all is well with the world! I'm trying very, very hard to change my thought process and maybe the rest will follow. I can do this!
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

You CAN wear heels again.

Hi Becky,

Remember you and I have pretty much the same fusion? I am back into heels. The key is work gradually into them. Wear your heels for a bit then go to flats the rest of the day. Gradually increase the wearing time of your heels till your body gets use to them again. I have gotten back into my 4" favorites but had to get rid of the one 5" pair I had. 2 1/2 -3" are the norm for daily wear for me, you will get there. Keep the positive thoughts and in time you will think back and smile at how far you have come.
      All my best, Suzy

2/22/06 T10 -L4 Now 8* (And 6' in heels!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
        Hi Becky,

Remember you and I have pretty much the same fusion? I am back into heels. The key is work gradually into them. Wear your heels for a bit then go to flats the rest of the day. Gradually increase the wearing time of your heels till your body gets use to them again. I have gotten back into my 4" favorites but had to get rid of the one 5" pair I had. 2 1/2 -3" are the norm for daily wear for me, you will get there. Keep the positive thoughts and in time you will think back and smile at how far you have come.
        All my best, Suzy

2/22/06 T10 -L4 Now 8* (And 6' in heels!!)
        Thank you THANK YOU Suzy, when I read that post last night, it got me down. It's not like I want to get back into heels right away, and I usually work from home and have NO shoes on . But it's good to hear that once I'm recovered enough, for special occasions I can wear heels.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

You'll get back in them when you're ready. I was actually in heels quicker after this than after ankle reconstruction.

At 7 months post-op, I can handle 4" stilettos easily - and taller platforms. Somewhere on here, long ago, I worried about the same thing ... and swore I'd wear them in bed if nothing else - LOL.

You'll get there.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X