No announcement yet.

Almost 3 Months Post-Op Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from my 4.5 post-op appointment. Dr. Fras said my spine is fusing much faster than normal and he's really pleased with how I look. I asked him about the sit-ups/crunches and he said to not do them and try again in a few more months. He said it was normal not to be able to do them and kept reminding me that 4.5 months is not far along post-op. He suggested I try running but only start out at 1/4 mile or less. I'm afraid to try but maybe I will this weekend. I brought up the difficulty standing and he said that was normal too. Regarding the itching, he suggested I ask for Atarax or Vistaril from my PCP.

Overall, it was an encouraging appointment. I go back in February.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose View Post
      I just got back from my 4.5 post-op appointment. Dr. Fras said my spine is fusing much faster than normal and he's really pleased with how I look. I asked him about the sit-ups/crunches and he said to not do them and try again in a few more months. He said it was normal not to be able to do them and kept reminding me that 4.5 months is not far along post-op. He suggested I try running but only start out at 1/4 mile or less. I'm afraid to try but maybe I will this weekend. I brought up the difficulty standing and he said that was normal too. Regarding the itching, he suggested I ask for Atarax or Vistaril from my PCP.

Overall, it was an encouraging appointment. I go back in February.
      YEAH Shell!! Great news!! I thought of you this morning as I packed 3 of the shampoo caps Do you think that's enough to bring?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
        YEAH Shell!! Great news!! I thought of you this morning as I packed 3 of the shampoo caps Do you think that's enough to bring?
        Hi Debbe,

I think 3 should be enough. I was in the hospital for 9 days and my husband washed my hair twice. You can always ask the nurses for another shampoo cap if you need it.

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by Sharshe View Post
          ... I've been having awful phantom itching for a long time now, and its getting worse. Dr Anderson said there's really nothing for it. ...
          Sharon, many of us are on Gabapentin (generic Neurontin) or Lyrica for it, and have had success in controlling it to a large degree. I wonder why he told you there was nothing available?

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

... He suggested I try running but only start out at 1/4 mile or less. I'm afraid to try but maybe I will this weekend.
            Let me know how that goes ... it still feels kind of "jarring" to me, but not painful ...

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

For running have you thought of using an eliptical machine instead? No impact at all, which for us I think is very important! We bought one a few years ago along with a recumbant bike and my wife uses them daily! I need to start back up on them as well.

You can get machines that just alter tension or also have different programs that can be used as well. My wife says its one of the best purchases we have ever made.

Shell there are also ab exercises you can do that use your legs instead of sit up type exercises. Those would be better than straining your back I think.
              Last edited by Qikdraw; 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM.
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

Pam- I will let you know how the running goes. My plan is to run to my mailbox and back (probably 1/10 of a mile) on Friday evening so I have the whole weekend to recover. Was your first run post-op really painful?

Brad - I would love to try an elliptical machine but unfortunately money is extremely tight now so I can't buy one. Thanks for mentioning it though. When I graduate college and get a job, we may be able to afford one. I do have a recumbant bike but I don't feel like I get a good work out from it. The leg exercises I do help my abs a little, but nothing compared to good old crunches. I used to do Pilates a lot too but I don't even want to try because I know I won't be able to do most of it.
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                  For running have you thought of using an eliptical machine instead? No impact at all, which for us I think is very important!
                  Brad, I'd just like to note it's hard to make it around the bases on an elliptical.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam- I will let you know how the running goes. My plan is to run to my mailbox and back (probably 1/10 of a mile) on Friday evening so I have the whole weekend to recover. Was your first run post-op really painful?
                    Shell ... no, not painful at all. I just started with walking a mile or two, then interspersing 30 yrd (or so) burst sprints, full out.

I just felt the impact more when I ran, and I am *sure* it's because every other muscle that absorbed the shock was weaker than before.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Brad - I would love to try an elliptical machine but unfortunately money is extremely tight now so I can't buy one. Thanks for mentioning it though. When I graduate college and get a job, we may be able to afford one. I do have a recumbant bike but I don't feel like I get a good work out from it. The leg exercises I do help my abs a little, but nothing compared to good old crunches. I used to do Pilates a lot too but I don't even want to try because I know I won't be able to do most of it.
                      Shell,

I can understand the money crunch, I think a lot of people, including me, are feeling that. We were lucky that at the time we bought it both my wife & I were working and had the money to pay for it. My wife has been using it pretty consistantly for about 2 years now and the combination of the elyptical and recumbant bike, she has lost around 40 lbs. Now she is tight and trim, and gets compliments from strangers about her legs. lol I'm really proud of her. Now I need to get onto the machines before I weigh too much. lol

I hope you can find something that will not put too much of a strain on your back. Listen to Pam though, she'll have the best ideas I think.

Brad
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                        Brad, I'd just like to note it's hard to make it around the bases on an elliptical.
                        What? I would have thought you could lift that onto your back and still sprint around the bases!
                        2 Harrington rods
                        Luque method used
                        Dr David Bradford
                        Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                        X