Wanting your photos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie,

It's so great to "see" you! You are so sweet and helpful and I have been wondering what you look like!

I have been giving some thought to how I can get some digital prints of my xrays and get a hold of some pics from back in the day from my mom. 10 years ago we weren't quite digital yet with our pictures

Here is a most recent picture of me...I'm a little sweaty...getting my dancing out while I still can

http://picasaweb.google.com/jennifer...77173743225842
    26 year old female
    wore a brace in junior high
    fusion of T4-L4 at 15 years old
    broken hardware at 23 due to failed fusion
    November 10, 2008 hardware removal and fusion of L3-L4

Comment

Jen-- I love the pic! What a smile!!! You are gorgeous and you look like you're having a blast! Enjoy your time! Can you scan older photos? And see what I suggested to Debbe in the last post about getting x-ray pics if you don't have digital ones. It is kind of fun to have them to look at, even if they aren't like the digital, really nice ones.

Talk about sweaty-- I added a couple more pics-- one so you can sort of see where I walk weather permitting (treadmill if not) and the other (since Janet asked for a recent one!) was taken just a month ago-- and fits with the scoli theme for sure... Me and my PT "bud" (he's my therapist, of course)-- taken at my last session. I miss him, but at least I have his pic! And yep, you guessed it, it's for my scrapbook of course!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you Susie!!

I have my xrays, so I have thought about taping them to the window, but the window needs a little cleaning first I will try to make that my weekend project.

What a pretty walking space you have!!
        26 year old female

Comment

Photographing x-rays

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
          ... Debbe-- I don't have digital x-rays either-- my x-ray pics are just that-- pics I took of my x-rays, at the doctor's office. But I know Del (Aussiemom) just hung her daughter's up in a window and took pics that way. Of course, you could see a house across the street through them, but they were perfectly ok to see the x-ray itself too. Just not top notch quality ...
          Before Qikdraw actually joined the list, he'd emailed me and I suggested a way to photograph standard films that seemed to work okay for him ... here it is:

• Cover a window (large enough to accommodate the x-ray) with a layer of wax paper (taped with sides meeting ... you'll need to dull extraneous outside objects)
          • Disable camera flash and any interfering inside light
          • Tape the film over the wax paper photograph
          • Crop the edges if necessary.

Worth a shot!
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks txmarinemom!!
            26 year old female

Comment

Laff ... and bonus, Jenlw ... no need to clean the window! Heh ...
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Yeah that worked out pretty well. Just taping it to the window it doesn't come out as nice. You can see teh results on the photos I took in my sig. They came out pretty decent, about as good as they will come out without being digital that is.

Pam is one smart cookie!

Brad
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

They did turn out nicely AND I don't have to wash the window hehe

Thanks tons and tons!!
                  26 year old female

Comment

SUSIE!!!

I didn't have wax paper, but I think they turned out well. I am so excited to have them digitally!! I have written captions under each of them, then are in order.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jennifer.wilken/Scoli
                    26 year old female

Comment

Yay!

Jen! They did turn out super! That's exciting! Thanks!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie, I'll get something to you right after the 3rd of August. We're to have some formal photos made and I'll send you one. I've also got a couple of photos taken of my back right after the first surgery, that might be interesting. I mentioned to the group that I was having problems last week with lower back pain and with a pain that went down my right leg. I saw the doctor on Thurs and he sent me to another part of Baylor Hospital (downtown Dallas) and I had a bone scan. It was truly very uncomfortable but wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for the leg pain. I still haven't heard from the doctor as to the results. I still have the bad lower back pain in the mornings, most certainly necessitating a hydrocodone, but the leg pain has almost gone away (I should have waited another few days). This really pisses me off that the doctor can't give me the courtesy of calling me or having someone else call me. The last thing I asked him was about continuing the water exercises and he said to wait on the results of the test.

It was interesting seeing the photos of different ones. I need to get to bed, so didn't have time to really *look*. I was impressed with Ginger's blog. Very imaginative.

Take care everyone.
                        Diane in Dallas
                        Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                        Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                        Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                        Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Everyone-- thanks sooooo much! I am getting really excited about the "forum family & friends" with lots of my scoli bros and sisses being part of the scrapbook. So far all I've done is get together lots of pics on my computer, but I have the "vision" for it all, and it will be GREAT! For any who want to still send me pics-- I'm hoping for a regular type pic of you (could be doing something you enjoy) and hopefully before and after x-rays if you have them, and/or back shots. And anything else. Then I'll have your forum moniker and other name if you sign it that way, and info about curves and surgeries... or whatever. And PLEASE don't think you need to look good in pics! We are all unique with our own special appearance, and I will enjoy seeing the real you above all, including all our outward "challenges" that society may deem less than perfect, but which make us whom we are. As someone once phrased it "God don't make no junk!" You are perfectly "you" just the way you are. (And hardly anyone will ever see my scrapbook, too!)

I guess I'll stick my email address here so you can easily send them without PMing me for it: Email me (Or if you just want to email me to "talk"!)

Those of you that are part of this "scoli family"-- but are parents rather than scolis, please don't think you can't be part of this scrapbook too. I'd like your pics as well-- and then I'll just put "Mom to..... with info." Is there anyone out there that can email MATJESNIC and ask her to join in? I miss her!

Diane-- I'm looking forward to that photo! Wow-- a formal photo! I'm pretty much a snapshot person-- I think the only formal ones we've had are wedding pics!) So that sounds so nice! I'm sorry about your doctor not getting back to you yet-- it sounds like it's time for the squeaky wheel to get going; time for you to call him instead and remind him you are waiting to hear... I think sometimes they just don't realize we are on tenterhooks waiting to hear results. Or, in your case too, waiting to resume your water exercises. The only positive thing I can think of regarding his failure to let you know, is that often that means it was nothing big-- and hopefully that's the case. I'm glad your leg pain has decreased-- do you think there could be a correlation with that and halting the exercises? Yes, Ginger's blog is REALLY entertaining. I asked her where she gets all those cool pics (like all the rolls of toilet paper!) but she must not want to disclose her source.

Well, I'm off to go do my "big shopping" today-- 2 weeks' worth of groceries, etc. I am hoping to get a bunch of these pics made into actual hard copies while I'm out... I told hubby I have about 50 pics to have prints made of... Keep 'em coming! This is great! And THANKS again! You guys are so good! Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I love the fact that us post-surgery folks have these most amazing and unique "insides". I can, however, walk down the street and people can pass by, having NO IDEA that they've just had an encounter with a rare specimen, like a one-of-a-kind butterfly. I also love the fact that I can choose to share my very special secret by simply pulling out a photo. It's fun to see how people readjust their perceptions with this new reality.

Actually, last night I wrote a little piece about this subject on my blog. Oh! That reminds me . . . thank you Diane for your compliment about my blog. I received so much help from other people's blogs and I hope that I can also support those who are on the front end, preparing for surgery.
                            Last edited by Ginger W.; 07-22-2008, 02:30 PM.
                            Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                            May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                            Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Ginger,

Your blog is fabulous. I enjoy reading it very much, and look forward to any new entries. I loved the latest on your PT and your 'uniqueness'.

By the way, you look incredible and by looking at your pics, I'd never know how 'special' your insides were!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X