brace question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie,

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who can not drink the last sip of soda . my fusion starts at T3, but I was also fused from C4 to C6 the preveous year so I figure this has a lot to do with it.

I do have a hard time turning my head, but force myself to stretch it everyday as I'm worried I will loose what little movement I have.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

I am still in my brace post-op, too. Shelokov does brace all his high thoracic and cerivical surgeries. I've heard that it's mostly that the presence of the brace will help remind us what movements we are not supposed to make. But that doesn't stop me from doing after that last drop of canned Diet DP =)
      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
        Again ... *wow!* ... amazing x-ray ...
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
          In my case I was developing a kyphosis problem too-- I don't have my pre-op lateral x-ray posted, but in it one can see my upper back is rounded more than it should be. I was developing that "dowager's hump"... Now I have a nice straight back, just the normal kyphotic curve that should be there.
          And, funny ... mine was just the opposite - LOL. Whether is happened via nature or an almost constant attempt over 30 years to compensate for the dropped shoulder, etc., I had almost NO kyphosis. Hanson basically sculpted normal kyphosis into the rods, and it's still a bit causes a bit of fatigue because I guess I fight it. Stretching my chest wall - and across the front of my shoulders - is helping to combat that.

I have the odd sensation of "laying on rockers", for lack of a better term when I'm on a hard surface (the tanning bed, for example ... I usually do the stand up or reclining one now vs. the flat one).

Here are my pre-op and post-op saggital x-rays ... I swear it's why I only gained 1/4" - LOL!

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X