X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A definitive study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Apr;89(4):742-6.Click here to read Links
    Detection of orthopaedic implants in vivo by enhanced-sensitivity, walk-through metal detectors.
    Ramirez MA, Rodriguez EK, Zurakowski D, Richardson LC.

Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, Shapiro 2, Boston, MA 02215, USA.

BACKGROUND: Since the September 11, 2001, World Trade Center terrorist attack, airports worldwide have heightened their security standards in efforts to discourage terrorist attacks. Patients have become increasingly concerned about whether their metallic implants will set off airport metal detectors. The purpose of this study was to assess rates of detection of various orthopaedic implants by airport detectors with the new security sensitivities. METHODS: One hundred and twenty-nine volunteers with a total of 149 implants were asked to walk through an M-Scope three-zone metal detector at two sensitivity settings. Low sensitivity was equivalent to the United States Transportation Security Administration setting for regular security, and high sensitivity was equivalent to its standard for high security. RESULTS: Of the 149 implants in 129 patients who were screened, eighty-four (56%) were trauma hardware, including intramedullary nails, plates, screws, and Kirschner wires, and sixty-five (44%) were arthroplasty implants. Seventy-seven (52%) of the 149 implants were detected by the metal detector at one or both settings. Multivariate analysis revealed that the type (p < 0.001), material (p < 0.001), and location (p < 0.001) of the implant were independent predictors of detection. The overall rate of detection was 88% for prosthetic replacements compared with 32% for plates, with the likelihood of detection being fifteen times greater (odds ratio = 15.0, 95% confidence interval = 5.9 to 39.1) for the prosthetic replacements. All total hip replacements and 90% of the total knee replacements were detected at the low-sensitivity setting. Intramedullary nails and Kirschner wires were not detected. The overall detection rate was 67% for implants in the lower extremity, 17% for those in the upper extremity, and 14% for those in the spine. The detection rate for implants in the lower extremity was ten times higher than that for implants in the upper extremity and eleven times higher than that for implants in the spine. CONCLUSIONS: More than half of all orthopaedic implants may be detected by metal detectors used at commercial airports. Total joint prostheses will routinely set off the detector, whereas nails, plates, screws, and wires are rarely detected. Cobalt-chromium and titanium implants are more likely to be detected than stainless-steel implants.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Interestingly, though my daughter set the detector off 100% of the time at various in the past, she didn't set it off at any point on our trip to NYC.

I conclude they are at a lower security level and tuned the sensitivity down this summer compared to previous times when we flew.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

The signal readings have to do with mass and density. The hip and knee prosthetics use a ball shape approx 1.25 dia, where our screws are of a much smaller size and mass.

Implants that are used down low in the body will naturally have to have more mass and density due to the increased loads. The screws used for skull plates are very tiny.

And now the comedy,
        Cucumbers can set off detectors also. LOL
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXkOplqrWo

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Classic clip.

The movie reviewer for New Yorker magazine said "This is Spinal Tap" is arguably the funniest movie ever made.

I love all the mockumentaries and don't understand how the actors got through some scenes without laughing.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

When you have scoliosis, those spinal t-shirts really grab your attention.
            Its like, wow I "really" like that.

Its hard to explain.

Like #11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7rWiY5obI

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

That's a good one.

I don't understand how they sing some of these lyrics without laughing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0hyExZ9Dfo

Also, this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRRTc...eature=related
              Last edited by Pooka1; 08-22-2009, 06:31 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Airport Security Stops Me Everytime!

I have flown on 6 flights since my surgery. Have made the security alarms go off every time when I walk through. I just say I have had recent back surgery with lots of hardware and they find a female guard to wand me. Or some airports just have you scanned in a new booth they have. No big deal really. Just say something before you walk through. Just a little entertainment for the passengers.
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Sharon,

That's deadpan. It comes from being depressed, from being too serious.

Mike Meyers is quite a serious person when he isn't doing comedy. I've read that when he does a film, the other actors actually get physically sick from the laughter. Most of the time they(comics)don't even think or realize its funny.

Its a release that comes naturally.

I can relate as I do the same thing. I can be dead serious at work, or I'm on a roll. That's how I blew my belly button out.

I will admit, I'm not depressed at all about my scoliosis. That is something I initially had to deal with as a child. I came to a psychological resolution, back in 1975. After all the stress of the diagnosis and the doom and gloom of it all, I figured that it wasn't worth worrying about it mentally. I steamrolled through everything I wanted to do, and scoliosis wasn't going to stop me. Yes, the pain was there all along, but I never got depressed about it. I put that big wall up a long time ago and its been there ever since.

My knees hurt from skiing all these years. Now that's depressing being a skier. Its the next thing I will have to deal with, hopefully my belly button will hold up.

Sometimes you just have to laugh at your problems.....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    I will admit, I'm not depressed at all about my scoliosis. That is something I initially had to deal with as a child. I came to a psychological resolution, back in 1975. After all the stress of the diagnosis and the doom and gloom of it all, I figured that it wasn't worth worrying about it mentally. I steamrolled through everything I wanted to do, and scoliosis wasn't going to stop me. Yes, the pain was there all along, but I never got depressed about it. I put that big wall up a long time ago and its been there ever since.
                    I think I understand this only from the point of view of a parent.

The scoliosis diagnosis was bad and being told my one kid needed surgery was worse. I had to accept those things and didn't have a choice w.r.t. the surgey. So that lightened the load a bit.

But for some reason, the absolute lowest, most despondent, worst I have felt was simply reading of a symptom of a connective tissue disorder. Both my girls had the characteristic blue sclera for a few months when they were infants but the pediatrician told me not to worry... that it probably wasn't anything if I didn't have people in my family with a connective tissue disorder. Well I didn't as far as I knew.

The blue sclera PLUS all their symptoms... it seemed inescapable. It is still painful to recall that.

They have something going on. Because of that, I like to think of the scoliosis as alerting us to this other more problematic thing that requires monitoring. If they ever develop heart/aorta symptoms, we will know it very early, the key to successful treatment. The scoliosis may have saved their lives.

Anyway, that's how I look at it theses days. I also really admire your approach, Ti Ed and try to be that way also.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I just flew to St. John, USVI and set off the cow bells each time. They then have a female guard wand me and pat me down front and back. I also have two hip replacements along with my spine but I think it's the wire in my bra that actually sets it off.
                      avis
                      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Boston vs. Las Vegas airport security

Avis,

Our first "real family vacation" since my surgery was a trip to Las Vegas and the National Parks of Utah (Zion and Bryce) and Arizona (North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon) last month. We flew out of Boston's Logan Airport. I told them before going through the security check point that I had a fusion with plenty of metal and might set off the alarm. They told me to "go for it" and to see what happened. Well, all the alarms sounded pretty loud to me and the passengers around me. The security guard who "wanded" me told me about her sister who has scoliosis and asked me lots of questions about my surgery while my husband and son were cooling their heels and lots of people looked on! Coming home through Las Vegas, the alarms were quiet. I guess in this economy that they need all the gamblers they can get and are not too choosy. I only gambled a $1 and lost ALL of it! My husband also gambled a dollar, and he won $10 -- enough for coffee for each of us at Starbucks.

Sleeping on different mattresses, sitting in a different car seat for 1300 miles and walking on more uneven surfaces than I am used to made my back and hip pretty unhappy. The jaw dropping beauty of what we saw, however, made it worth it. A facet block with cortisone into S1 when we returned also helped. I never could have done the trip if I had not had the surgery. Thank you Dr. Rand!

Linda
                        Linda
                        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                        X