No announcement yet.

Now that I'm scheduled, I find myself defending my decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My in-laws more or less dismissed my upcoming surgery as "elective" and never understood the extent of either my pain or the surgeries done in 3 stages. They never came to the hospital while i was there for 11 days... nor did they visit me at home afterwards. I'm not sure they are convinced to this day that all of it was necessary. However, i realized that it didn't matter what their opinion was. I knew my body was deteriorating and that something had to be done before it got worse.

Comment

negative reaction from acquaintances

the reaction you are getting is not limited to scoliosis surgery, in fact it happens to people getting almost ANY kind of surgery - yes, everyone is an expert and they often say the worst possible things, ones even patently ridiculous (e.g. i heard a friend's cousin's aunt had .......... (fill in surgery) and both legs turned black and fell off...)

you have to ignore it; only you and your doctor know the individual details of your case

depending on who i'm talking to i am more or less patient but in general i'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible

perhaps a good forum topic: what's the ideal thing to say to such people to shut them up without being rude? (it should be applicable to any kind of surgery or treatment, not just scoliosis surg)
      junosand
      59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
      schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
      with titanium cages
      Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Working...
      X