4 months post-op visit today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
    ... Sally--my doctor said the same about airport security. He said if it set off the detectors, they would just wand me and possibly ask to see the scar, and any papers of proof wouldn't be acceptable anyway. Another area where most of our doctors have differing ideas, it seems. I didn't set any off. If you're not able to squat down very well, watch the kind of shoes you take-- slip-ons might be easiest. Also, you'll have to pick them up to set them on the conveyor belt. But maybe you're not traveling alone.
    Yeah, I was a bit dubious TSA would accept (much less be able to comprehend ... i.e., they's not gen'rully da brightest bulbs) the letter I got. I could have typed the same thing up on my OWN computer - LOL.

I will probably wear a halter top or something that shows most of the scar anyway, so it'll be easy enough to show them - and I really will probably bring printed x-rays that have both my name and Baylor Orthopedics stamped on them. I'm also leaving at 6:30 a.m., so I'm getting to the airport at ±4:00 a.m. so I can have ample time to get through security. I have an hour layover in Philly, so cross your fingers THEY don't hold me up. Hopefully since I'll have my boarding pass (where I actually got on the plane from IAH) it won't be a big deal.

And, really, who knows ... it may or may not set off anything, anywhere. I'm just preparing for the worst, hoping for the best (as usual).

I have no problems squatting, and I never fly in anything but flip-flops, so that part will be fine. The last thing you need when you're having to go through proving your laptop is *really* a laptop is trying to hop around and tie shoes ;-).

I may get one of our group going to the rally in an RV to pick up an egg crate. We're pulling a trailer on the bike, but it'll be packed full of my luggage/camping gear. I actually am going to probably blow mine up and sleep on it this weekend for a test drive so I know *exactly* what I'm in for - LOL.

The bike ride from Boston is about 3 hours, but I'm not all that worried about it. It's a full dresser Harley, so the back seat is pretty much like a road couch - heh. Arm rests and everything. I refer to it as the "Princess Seat", and have a strange urge to do parade queen waves every time I ride on the bike ...

And, yes, Sally ... it's really pretty up there! Coming from Boston, we go through a short portion of the Berkshires, and then the closest big town to the rally is Schenectady (the rally is actually in Pattersonville - around Mariaville Lake ... i.e., in the boonies!).

Anyway, I'm excited ... headed out next Wednesday, and looking forward to meeting a few Bostonians from here early the next week after we get back from NY!

And, MaryLou, I have NO doubt you guys will ~somehow~ manage to stay entertained in my absence, but thanks - LOL ...

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
      ... I was really upset last night feeling like I would be stuck like this forever but your post reminded me that life will be back to normal soon.
      Your feelings are perfectly normal, Shell, and I think anyone on this side of surgery can relate. That "stuck" outlook comes and goes, and then eventually it comes less ...

One thing that worked for me when I'd get in a funk was to remind myself (and I actually had a few friends I trained to remind me also!) "It's only been ________ weeks, goof. You have a LOT of healing left to do!".

Although it doesn't change whatever initially upset or bummed you, it *does* help keep the recovery process in perspective, you know? At least with me, it helped to remind me how FAR I'd come (and that whole amazing reality) vs. dwelling on an unrealistic, fantasy place I WISHED I'd reached.

It just takes time, Shell ... and I know it's hard to be patient. You're allowed to NOT be some days, and to visit that fantasy place in your recovery, but only for short stays . USE it to set your goals ... not to beat yourself up and take away one bit of credit for all your hard work so far!

You're doing great, hon, and you've been through a lot. I don't think you'll ever realize how many here were pulling for you when you collapsed in the hospital. Give yourself some well-earned kudos (and that is extended to *everyone* who's healing) for how far you've come.

And accept that somedays, that distance might just be a walk to the mailbox - or even the bathroom. It all adds up, babe.

Regards,
      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by debbei
        Can you explain how 'softening of the hardware angles' means that the fusion looks good? I see the white areas, but don't understand the hardware mention.
        Debbe,

If you look at my 3 weeks post-op x-ray (you may need to zoom in), note how sharp the angles of the hardware appear.

Then, look at the 8 weeks. The angles aren't as sharp: That, too, indicates fusion, although "fuzzy" screws isn't all it takes. It just means your body has been stimulated to produce local bone growth formation.

And, yes, Sharon - I obviously buy in to rhBMP-2 (Hanson used it in ACS form combined with allograft). I'll stick my surgical photos back up; you can see clear shots of how they lay the ACS (absorbable collagen sponge ... soaked in the protein) along the fusion area.

Although it's technically "off-label" for scoliosis fusion (it's only FDA approved when used with PEEK cages), it has shown promise - especially in the area of quicker fusion - and also in fusion success with "at high risk of pseudoarthrosis" patients (i.e., smokers).

In the SRS archives you'll find a paper (I used the spineuniverse.com link vs, srs.org simply so you don't have to search the 2006 SRS archives for "Paper #77") that details the results of rabbits injected with nicotine (designed to encourage pseudoarthosis), and revision of the rabbits with and without the addition of rhBMP-2 (ACS or CRM).

In brief, the meat of that study:

Results: Four rabbits (5.5%) were lost to complications. Sixty-four (94%) had pseudarthroses on re-exploration and underwent repair. By manual palpation at 10 weeks, 1 of 16 (6.3%) pseudarthroses that received no graft fused, 5 of 17 (29.4%) pseudarthroses that received autograft fused, 31 of 31 (100%) pseudarthroses that received rhBMP-2 (with either ACS or CRM) fused. Plain radiographs, computed tomography, and histology further characterized the fusion masses.

Conclusions: Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (in both carriers studied) was able to significantly increase fusion versus controls in this challenging preclinical posterolateral lumbar model.

This paper was authored by Lenke (who, I understand, is a big believer in rhBMP-2, and I've been led to believe - as always, I could be wrong - one of the few surgeons who will use it on adolescents).

BTW, I may have mentioned, my surgeon did his SRS fellowship under Lenke. Hanson, on the other hand, does NOT use it for adolescents.

As with anything, we'll see, I suppose. I couldn't find enough detrimental, *proven* data to discourage me from asking for it.

And so far, in my case, that choice has not been one I've regretted.

Best regards,
        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

You're so awesome! Thanks for the encouragement. It seriously made me feel a lot better.

Your trip sounds like so much fun. I hope you have a great time!

Shell
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi Pam,

I will be listening for the roar and rumble of Harley's coming through the Boston area next week and knowing that you will be graciously waving from the Princess Seat! Enjoy.

Linda W.
            Linda
            Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
            S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
            Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
            Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
            X