Skoshi314 Surgery Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Real Great You're Doing OK! Have been real busy lately and my wife is the one keepin up. Don't let the rehap folks push you too hard. I have to run!
    Prayers n Best Wishes,
    Chris n Cathy

Comment

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on your successful surgery and for having all your wits about you so soon. You are doing exceptionally well, in my opinion! They practically had to call out the National Guard to get me to poop 10 days after my surgery. Stock up on MiraLax -- it's absolutely the best laxative around and you can take it for months if you need to. Continued good luck to you!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Becky,

I had that delicious bomb and still had to have a ducolax suppository to get things moving. You are doing great to have your wits about you. I couldn't even figure out how to use the television remote or my cell phone for several days. Take care, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Becky,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I can completely relate to the bathroom problems as I'm still having some trouble. I didn't go until day 9, shortly after I got home from the hospital. I took a very long list of things in the hospital that didn't work and then drank a bottle of magnesium citrate when I got home which did the trick. Are you on percocet? My doctor said that is the most constipating drug. I switched to vicodin a couple of days ago and have been a little better.

Shell
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Yes, I am still alive! and update

Wow, what a long week. My computer has been part of the problem but in all honesty I've just not felt like posting. All I've wanted to do was try to find a comfortable position and lick my wounds. But, I finally decided I'm gonna have to force myself back into the real world, so here I am!

The rehab hospital was such a completely opposite experience from the Spine Hospital. The care at the Spine Hospital was so amazing. The nurses were caring and constantly checking on me. I would never hesitate to recommend the facility to anyone.

The rehab facility is not considered an acute care facility so the nurse response time to a call is a bit slow. The physical and occupational therapists were really pretty good. All in all, it was an ok stay. It was better than being sent home 4 days post op and poor Rusty having to figure out what to do for me!

I was released last Tuesday and came home. I seem to have gotten a handle of the regularity thing but what a trip that's been! The drain was finally removed last Thursday during an appointment with the surgeon. He also removed all the bandages and steri-strips. That felt absolutely amazing! The scar looks really good. My stomach swelling is gone and the swelling in my back is slowly going down. My biggest problem right now is trying to get the pain meds to keep me consistently comfortable. I do pretty well for several hours but start to hurt pretty bad before it's time for my next dose. I guess I'll call the doc tomorrow for some suggestions. I'm also not sleeping great except when I take Ambien but I don't have many of them left.

I am a bit curious if anyone else had trouble staying comfortable temperature wise. It seems one minute I'm hot and sweaty and the next minute I'm freezing. There just doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Did anyone else have this problem?

It's really great to have my computer back so I can be in touch with you all. I've missed you!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
            Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            14 titanium pedicle screws
            Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
            Email

Comment

Welcome back!

Becky-- thanks so much for the update! I had barely gotten home from the hospital by this time after my surgery, so I think you are doing fantastic to be posting! Sorry the rehab hospital was not that great... I bet it feels so great to be home! It's good to hear that most things are getting back to normal-- and yes, I've read many, many posts that talked of how people either froze or were too hot, or went back and forth between the two. So your temperature regulator being whacky is really normal. Sorry. Hope you can get the meds figured out better. It seems like there's so much trial and error testing involved. And we've sure missed you too! (Even though Rusty was so good at letting us know what was happening.) It's wonderful to have you back posting!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, Susie Bee for the welcome back. I've decided that just about everything about this deal is trial and error. I do believe that each day is one day closer to being completely healed and that makes it worth putting one foot in front of the other.

I think part of the temperature problem is my brace. It's quite warm even in a very chilly house. So I perspire and my undershirt gets damp and then I get chilled. I think the key is to change the shirt often. Makes for a lot of laundry but I think that will help.

I've been married to Rusty for 22 years and he's always been so sweet and supportive. He was so much help after the birth of all three kids and anytime I've been sick, he's taken wonderful care of me. But this is different. There aren't words to explain how wonderful he has been. He has taken such great care of me and has handled every whine like it was so important. I'm a very lucky woman!

I'm hoping to add some before and after pics and x-rays later, but I feel a nap coming on. Maybe I can get that done later today.
                Becky, 46 years old
                Ignored until 448/07
                Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                Fused T-10 to L-5
                Email

Comment

2 weeks post-op

Yesterday was the 2 week post-op mark and I celebrated it by going to the park with my mom and youngest daughter so she could feed the ducks. I was out for about and hour by the time we stopped and bought the duck bread, got a snack at Sonic and finally got to the park. By the time I got home I was totally wiped out but the fresh air had been wonderful. I was in quite a lot of pain later in the evening but managed to sleep well once the meds kicked in.

I'm getting around pretty well, but I'm so very tired of this brace. It's going to take some serious self-determination to make myself wear it for the full 3 months. All in all I think I'm doing good, I'm just getting impatient. I need to call my surgeon today and find out when I can drive. I think that will help.

Thank you everyone, again, for the good thoughts during surgery and after. They have been more comfort than you will ever know!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  Email

Comment

Hi ya Becky!

As for the no driving... I think it is due to the meds some of us are on. I was able to drive once I backed off the Valium. You are ONLY 2 weeks out MS. IMPATIENT! LOL! I thought I was the scoliosis poster child (untill Pam came along with her great recovery.) and I drove at 5 weeks. I did cheat though, I have a back up camera. That to this day is about all I can't do with ease, twist around to look when I back up. (If in a different car.) You can always pull through a parking spot in the beginning when you are out driving so that it wouldn't be an issue.

Time for your great attitude to kick in regarding your brace wearing. O.K. 3 months right? Well, remember how long a pregnancy is? 3 months not so bad Huh? It is going to be over before you know it. Think back three months prior to your surgery, didn't that date arrive before you knew it? You are going to LOVE putting that great new torso into new clothes, start a wish list as you look through magazines. The hardest part is behind you.

I was going to give you a call but thought you might be resting, guess not!You probably won't be home!!

Comment

Thanks, Mom. I needed a good scolding! And you're right, 3 months isn't that long. I was just having quite a pity party today but thanks to you wonderful people, I'm feeling better.

Thanks again for the encouraging words. I'm about to head to bed, but give me a call anytime. I don't really feel the need for naps during the day, just resting spells. I am sleeping very well at night so that could be why I don't feel the need to nap.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Love ya,
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      Email