Go Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geish
    I must be really weird...I never had a moments worry or panic. I was so excited I could hardly wait!
    Alicia,

Can you please send me some of your weirdness? When I had a top Chicago surgeon tell me (after I asked him if this is the worst surgery anyone can undergo) that he would rank it second to amputation, excitement at the thought of going through this isn’t exactly the emotion I’m feeling.

BTW, I had my stress test this morning and when the technician asked me what this was for and I told him, his eyes widened with this look of horror as he said “you mean that surgery with the rods?” This surgery certainly has a spine-tingling stigma attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS

when the technician asked me what this was for and I told him, his eyes widened with this look of horror as he said “you mean that surgery with the rods?” This surgery certainly has a spine-tingling stigma attached to it.
      Someone should SMACK that guy!!! What the heck is the matter with people, especially in the healthcare field, for getting someone worked up when they are clearly worried already.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

... I had a top Chicago surgeon tell me (after I asked him if this is the worst surgery anyone can undergo) that he would rank it second to amputation, excitement at the thought of going through this isn’t exactly the emotion I’m feeling.

BTW, I had my stress test this morning and when the technician asked me what this was for and I told him, his eyes widened with this look of horror as he said “you mean that surgery with the rods?” This surgery certainly has a spine-tingling stigma attached to it.
        I find that EITHER said that ridiculous, but *especially* the surgeon! SECOND worst to AMPUTATION?

How very negative and misleading to post that here, Chris. There are a lot of scared people here AND people who *know* that statement is sh**.

How do you manage to ALWAYS miss the positive things? That's just sad. Attitude has *everything* to do with recovery.

I'm fuming here. That is quite possibly the most irresponsible thing I've seen you post. EVER.
        Last edited by txmarinemom; 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

**I'd rather have the amputation - very straightforward is that surgery and it certainly doesn't take 9 hours, which ranks spine fusion surgery as the worst. Great, just great.**

The above is exactly what I thought when I read that. My surgery is two weeks from Monday and I am trying to be a Big Girl about it. It's hard though, reading something like that...and amps the terror factor to 10. It takes a very long time...days sometimes, to talk myself down from those terror attacks. So I'm trying to keep the terror attacks to a minimum.

Debbei hit the nail on the head "when people are clearly worried about it already" - that was a nice way of putting it.

Chris - I can say without a shadow of a doubt that normally, I can whip myself to worry frenzy better than anyone else can. I am my own worst enemy. Don't do that to yourself - be your own best friend. Try to look for the positive in this surgery - for me it means walking my dog again. I can't freaking wait to do that! It is my compass for measuring success and if 4 of the 5 surgeons I saw told me I could run in a race after surgery? I'm going to believe them.

I'm just trying to say don't scare yourself!

Best,
          Susan
          Susan
          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Try to calm down, everyone. I didn't take Chris' post quite like some of you did, but I'm on the other side of the surgery. I was feeling her anguish when I read it. Susan and Debbe-- and Chris too-- just look at the sheer numbers of us post-op people on the forum and please realize that this is a do-able surgery. It is also a tough one. If I can get through it ok, you can too. Just keep telling yourselves that and try not to freak out too much.

It's unfortunate that the technician and surgeon made those statements. Let's leave it at that, if possible.

I know that I do not regret going through this surgery and recovery, and I doubt very much if you will either. Just think-- you will be straighter and probably taller, you won't be having continued curve progression and all its worries, and you will be a stronger person in general. It will all work out. Keep the faith!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Chris WBS -
              Those statements are absurd! I can't imagine any doctor, surgeon, technician, nurse I have ever had contact with saying something like that. Where do you find these people?? Are you sure you aren't hearing, seeing, encouraging or projecting your own feelings?

It's obvious from many of your posts that you are extremely fearful and a real "Debbie Downer" (from Saturday Night Live) about your surgery. It's unfortunate that you feel compelled to post comments like this and feed the fears of others who are facing surgery for the first time.

For whatever it's worth, I have had four back surgeries and I'll take those over an amputation any day! Amputation indeed!!
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

That surgeon made that remark to me based on his recommendation to fuse my spine from T2 to the sacrum in anterior and posterior surgeries. He made no bones about it…it would be rough as hell. And that’s when I asked him if this is the worst surgery. And while I most certainly did not like what I heard, I appreciated his candor. There’s the psychological trauma of having to adapt to a permanently altered body; and given the emotional element of this surgery, this particular surgeon includes a psychiatrist on his staff to counsel his patients before and after surgery.

And as for the technician, he did do a number on me with his look and comment. My blood pressure shot through the roof.

Comment

That surgeon made that remark to me based on his recommendation to fuse my spine from T2 to the sacrum in anterior and posterior surgeries. He made no bones about it…it would be rough as hell. And that’s when I asked him if this is the worst surgery. And while I most certainly did not like what I heard, I appreciated his candor. There’s the psychological trauma of having to adapt to a permanently altered body; and given the emotional element of this surgery, this particular surgeon includes a psychiatrist on his staff to counsel his patients before and after surgery.

And as for the technician, he did do a number on me with his look and comment. My blood pressure shot through the roof.
                  I still do NOT Understand why you think that negativity belongs here when we have newbies close to surgery barely hanging on.

And furthermore, I'm with Felicia ... where do you find these people??? The technician was just a technician - and an idiot at that. I'd LOVE to know the name of this top surgeon, however ... remind me to remind people to stay away from him.

Just like you made the blanket statement "Pashman says A/P's are better", (that's just silly when not everyone NEEDS them), you take the most extreme, most negative, and apply it across the board - with a LARGE brush.

You haven't even HAD surgery and you want to even *broach* psychological trauma of a "permanently altered body"? Please. All you do is toss out non-contextual quips from various surgeons ... none of which fits EVERYONE, but are always credible to you because *a surgeon* said it.

And I suspect more than a few post-ops will take umbrage, Susie*Bee.

I'd suggest some positivity, Chris, or you're in for a LONG ride.
                  Last edited by txmarinemom; 05-28-2008, 05:20 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Dear ChrisWBS,

I can understand the negative thoughts you're having. As many on the forum have described the roller coaster ride they have before the surgery. I,too, have ups and downs but I try to push away any negative thoughts and concentrate on the positive. Keep the faith. Just think that the pain is something we go through for a wonderful result. And there are much better pain management medications available now. I have had health care professionals in the past make some insensitive statements to me in an apparent attempt to be supportive; they obviously had no experience dealing with these issues on a personal level. You just have to stay grounded. You have a wonderful surgeon and have researched this surgery to the nth degree.
                    Good luck to you Chris. Before too long, you will be posting your success story.
                    Rita

Comment

I still say I never had a moments panic, doubt or worry. I was so happy that "something" could be done to make me better that it really wouldn't have mattered what they told me. By the time the surgery rolled around my poor ol body had had it. It was crumpled, smooshed and in pain all of the time. When I made the decision (in July, 5 months prior to surgery) I was still feeling pretty good. I had ambition and was preparing to play Ms Hannigan in Annie in my town. By November I was just too damn tired and I know now that the role would have wiped me out. I went down hill rather quickly there towards the end. So when I say I was excited it wasn't thrilling by any means, but I was sure happy that soon it would all be over and I could move forward with my life and my new back.
                      Geish
                      47 years old, dx at 13
                      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

O.K. I have calmed down a bit after first reading your post, CHRIS WBS. I will personally call the surgeon who told you this ranks 2nd to amputation. That isn't candor, that is crap. Do you have the nerve to post his name IF in fact that is what was said to you?? I have a feeling that this isn't true. If it is, then no wonder he has psychiatrist's on the staff!! Still I want to call him, give up his name. As for the tech, that is ignorance speaking. I had an x-ray tech tell me "I would never have that surgery." I asked if she even knew what scoliosis surgery was all about. She did not have a clue.

"Psychological trauma of a Permanently altered body" you have got to be kidding... Do you have it in you to EVER post something positive? Of course your body is permanently altered. Does a straightened spine not appeal to you?

Susie-bee, I know you tend to stand up for CHRIS WBS but you have not had to put up with all the negative posts she CONSTANTLY writes for as long as some of us have. Why not take some time to read back just how many non-helpful, negative, poor me posts she has made in the past. I think even you might just have to agree with those of us sick of it all.

Even if YOUR own surgery and recovery were to go flawlessly, CHRIS WBS, there is no way you would EVER post about it. You seem to hunt out the worst of everything. You seriously need to change your forum name to Debbie downer it fits you to a tee. I wish we could vote you off the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                          I still say I never had a moments panic, doubt or worry. I was so happy that "something" could be done to make me better that it really wouldn't have mattered what they told me. By the time the surgery rolled around my poor ol body had had it. It was crumpled, smooshed and in pain all of the time. When I made the decision (in July, 5 months prior to surgery) I was still feeling pretty good. I had ambition and was preparing to play Ms Hannigan in Annie in my town. By November I was just too damn tired and I know now that the role would have wiped me out. I went down hill rather quickly there towards the end. So when I say I was excited it wasn't thrilling by any means, but I was sure happy that soon it would all be over and I could move forward with my life and my new back.
                          Alicia-- your story is such an inspiration for this surgery. Thanks so much for posting this... I am so happy that you are now back to being in musicals!!! Yay for Morgan la Fey! I'm so glad you got a fun role in Camelot!
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have to put my two cents in here. I usually only have time to peruse the threads regarding kids where I think I can help, etc. but somehow I stumbled on this one.

As the mother of a child with scoliosis who hopefully will not need fusion - but for whom it IS a possibility later on in life, I find those statements shocking, appalling and inexcusable. How could ANYONE say or repeat them???!!! What purpose does it serve????

I am involved in several scolisis-related sites (co-moderator of one) and I speak to LOTS of parents, many whose kids have had fusion. I realize there can be a difference in recovery rates, etc. between kids and adults. HOWEVER I have found that no two surgeries are quite the same. One friend of mine has a daughter who is about 5 weeks post op and she has had a great recovery - in fact she is "enjoying" her time at home. Even when I spoke to mom in the hospital, the pain was well under control and there were no horror stories to be told because they just didn't exist. Another mom whose child had fusion recently told me her child described the pain (just a day or two post-op) as "annoying" rather than excrutiating.

All that being said, WHAT WOULD POSSESS ANYONE TO COMPARE FUSION TO AN AMPUTATION OR ACT AS IF IT IS SHEER TORTURE??? What good can come out of someone going into surgeries petrified and with a negative attitude????

I also believe that going in with a very POSITIVE attitude (as my friend and her daughter did and as Pam also did) does have a POSITIVE effect on recovery - it certainly can't hurt.

I hope the moderators here delete what was posted above before someone reads it and jumps off a building or something, God forbid.

Irresponsible to say the least!!!
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I'm with Suzy ... I want that doctor named HERE. I also intend to call and confirm he's telling patients this drivel.

IF it's true, I'm filing a complaint to the Illinois state board - and if he's SRS, they'll get the same. This doctor isn't "candid", he's incompetent.

Who *was* this (in your opinion) "top surgeon", Chris WBS?

And, yeah, Maria ... heaven forbid what future readers will glean from this thread. I'm still fuming over this sh** today.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X