Sharshe update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
    I'll answer what I can from your posts, but I really don't have details. I believe Bud had originally said that they could not find anything wrong through x-ray or other blood work, so they needed to do exploratory surgery. They found "very bad infections deep inside her lower back" and it "was a very severe staph infection"... and later he said, "We finally got the test results and it is a treatable staph... ...There is a very high probability the hardware will need to be removed after the fusion is set. They think the infection has attached to it."
    It sounds like a non-systemic (if it's not showing in the bloodwork) localized abscess. An abscess from staph tends to happen when staph enters the body (via surgery or a cut), and is closed inside (by sutures or a scab - as in a nick from shaving).

My room at Methodist contained a box of rubber gloves (which of course, also make handy rubber chicken heat packs when filled with water and tied after surgery), and I actually used reverse methods to make sure they "gloved up" by telling the head nurse I was previously infected with MRSA. Funny how they are a bit more diligent when they think YOU might infect THEM.

Anyone could use this reason. Sneaky, but it works ...

Susie, if you get more info, please post it? "Treatable" could mean anything up through MRSA (it's just a Methicillin resistant variety - they screen a culture *usually* against 10 non-penicillin type drugs). While MRSA blows, and hardware removal blows even more, "treatable" is good.

VRSA/VRE is bad news. (this is obviously not what Sharon has as it's been deemed "treatable"). It's resistant to Vancomycin, commonly the last defense against staph when the lesser drugs (Clindamycin, Erythromycin, Cipro, Bactrim, etc.) are ineffective.

Incase anyone's interested, "superbugs" - MRSA, VRSA (and VRE ... the VR indicating Vancomycin resistant) - have developed in large part from unnecessary antibiotics prescribed by doctors, patients taking them unnecessarily ("my throat's sore and I think I have some left over from last time I was sick" ...) - or just taking them until they feel better (hence the "leftovers").

(BTW, yes ... because I have IV Vanco with every surgery, I would probably be screwed if I acquired a VR infection.)

As I said earlier, people can re-infect themselves, but just as often (or more) they're infected in the hospital by lackadaisical staff hygiene.

Infection has been linked to health care workers, as well. I'm as much for screening the patients as screening the people who TOUCH the patients.

(I have no doubt I acquired it in the hospital ... ironically the day surgery section of the same hospital where I was fused - which now sports "WASH YOUR HANDS!" signs *everywhere*, 7 years too late.)

If you see someone reaching for you without actually seeing them put on fresh gloves in the hospital - and I am NOT kidding - tell them to do so. You're paying enough to make those kinds of requests - even if it annoys them. Any nurse worth their salt should understand your concerns.

I'm also curious, do they plan to just keep her on antibiotics until fusion is complete if/when the hardware has to be replaced?

Didn't we have someone here (was is suzyjay?) who had a similar issue?

Please tell Bud and Sharon they're in my thoughts, Susie.

And let's do what we can to minimize this risk. Any health care workers care to chime in?

Regards to all,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Here is what Bud said about the staph infection:

"The staph is NOT one of the super bugs. That was a BIG relief. I don't know exactly what kind but she is getting Nafcillyn to treat it. They will be monitoring her blood counts to determine how long on the IV, then pills. Also to determine if it attached to the hardware. They seemed to think the chances are quite high it has. She had been to the DR. The afternoon before we took her back in and he ordered blood tests but they had not been done yet. The infection showed up when they did the tests in the emergency room.'

Then he went on to say that the MRI had been down, so that's why they had to do exploratory surgery. They reopened the whole back, from her neck clear on down...

Today they removed two of her drains, with six remaining. They cause her problems-- it makes it difficult when doing anything-- sleeping, sitting up, moving. She is starting to lift her right leg just a bit when she walks. She's scheduled to transfer to rehab at 1:30 tomorrow.

In the big picture, she's making progress, so that's very good.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sharon got moved to rehab on Saturday, and is happy to be out of the hospital and moving on with her progress. She's been approved for 5 days there, but they will evaluate how she is doing after 3 days and then extend her time there if needed. I'll let you know when I hear anything else.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Just a quick update...
          I've been home from rehab since June 24 My sister helped me get out of a hell hole of a place, please please find out what rehabs your insurance covers and check them out(ask people who have loved ones inside if they have complaints, it was mostly the night staff that were awful) before your surgery. You may not plan on rehab but if you need it at least you'll have a better idea of where you'll be going. I had them trying to give me wrong meds, my IV antibiotics were given anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to over 6 hours apart (should have been every 4). linens not changed for the 9 days I was there...just a few of the problems.
          Anyhow on a brighter note.
          I'm doing great with PT (last visit next Tuesday).
          I'm using a cane now except at night I prefer the walker( a little steadier when 1/2 asleep), I push a wheel chair when we walk outside then if I get tired Hubby pushes me-really dog pulls me-then I walk some more. Doing it this way I don't have to worry about going too far and not being able to make it home but I can get as much walking in as I can handle.
          My IV PIKK line came out yesterday, I see the infectious disease DR tomorrow and should just be on oral antibiotics
          Today I saw the plastic surgeon who closed me after the 4th surgery(4 in 3 weeks ). He gave me the all clear as well as my visiting nurse clearing me this morning.
          My OT was in for 1st evaluation last week and said I was doing fine and unless I needed her she didn't need to come back(I said no need).
          I am able to go up/down a full flight of stairs (though I wait til hubby is behind/infront of me, I'm playing it safe). and I pick one "big" task to do a day
          ie wash and hang laundry(next day take down), iron,(someone else sets up the board and only a few items at a time),clean bathroom (can't do tub though , dust etc.
          My sister left a lot of leftovers so I've only cooked a handful of times and hubby has cooked some too.
          I'm also painting my brace, if I have to wear it lets spritz it up some.
          I plan on sending some pics to Susie but I won't have my after x-rays 'til after my August appt (no driving 'til then), but they did look really good.
          well I guess it wasn't much of a quick update, oh well.
          To all you up and coming surgeries, good luck and its not THAT bad, you'll get through it and be glad you did it Just keep a positive outlook.
          2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
          surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
          Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
          5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
          5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
          6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
          (left open with just clear dressing)
          6/6/08 recleaned and closed
          3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Sorry its been awhile.
            I was taken off Nafcillin after 6 weeks of the iv, they didn't switch me to oral antibiotics so 1 1/2 weeks later I was back in the ER. I woke up and could barely raise my arms. The infection had reappeared in my upper back, the MRI showed no large pockets of it so no surgery, I was admitted over night and put back on the nafcillin for another 4weeks. That will be up next week. I spoke to Infectious Disease DR. (what a fiasco, trying to get an appt with the right DR!) today and all 4 ID DRs and Dr Anderson have decided that PICC can come out Tuesday and they'll switch me to Bactrim. I can't wait! I'm glad I hadn't needed another debridement but having a PICC for 10 weeks is no fun either.
            Pam, you've been on Bactrim before, how is it? We're going to Cancun in October so I am a bit concerned about the precautions about the Bactrim as it says to wear sunblock(I would anyway) and protective clothing while outside. I hope I'll be off it by then.
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

3 weeks

Bud - Thank you. My husband has been right there with me, as you seem to be. Are you getting any help?

I posted a thread about the three weeks around surgery, today. May be it will help you. There's lots of detail ... such as shampoo caps.
              Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
              Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
              by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Hi Sharon,

It's good to hear that you are doing better. How are things with Bactrim? I took that often a few years ago for recurrent UTIs. It's one of the few antibiotics that didn't have any noticeable side effects for me. I hope it's the same with you!

Shell
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees
                December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2
                Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by Sharshe View Post
                  Pam, you've been on Bactrim before, how is it? We're going to Cancun in October so I am a bit concerned about the precautions about the Bactrim as it says to wear sunblock(I would anyway) and protective clothing while outside. I hope I'll be off it by then.
                  Sharon, I had no ill effects from the Bactrim (I mean NONE), but Cancun will even fry this olive-skinned Texas girl's a** in 10 minutes - LOL. Take your Bullfrog 36 gel, and apply liberally - and often. Wear a hat. Keep a light long-sleeved shirt with you (dark in color, because you can even burn *through* fabric).

Dorky as it may look, zinc oxide works. No worries people will think you're a tourist: 90% of the people in Cancun are tourists - laff.

You realize October is still hurricane season right (till Nov 30th)? And the Yucatan Peninsula is kinda like Florida ... merely a speedbump ...

(... written as Hanna chases Gustav in the Gulf!)

I am THRILLED you're down to oral meds. How long a round did they rx?

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Shell and Pam,
                    Thanx for the info on your experiences with Bactrim. Things are so far so good with it. I finally was able to speak to the Dr about it and she said most people aren't bothered by the sun. I have put on sunblock before going out up here and the sun hadn't bothered me a bit.
                    We've been to Cancun 4 times and I would never consider going w/o sunblock and a hat (even with a good base tan, which I do not have this year). We're taking my 5 y.o. granddaughter this time so have stocked up on spray on sunblock and zinc(clear) and a 30spf stick sort of thing that Bud can run down my scar to double up protection.
                    I have 6 months of refills on the Bactrim and I see the ID doc 9/19 to check on my labs and see where we go from there. It's nice not being on a leash (PICC), or to have blood drawn every week(my veins started to rebel after all the needles from the surgeries and infections). I have also switched to Tylenol now and occasionally hydrocodone at bedtime if I've REALLY over-done it. It's great to being feeling more myself
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Sharon--I'm so glad to hear that all is going well now. You sure had a time of it! I hope your trip is wonderful and that you have continued good reports in the future. That's super that you are feeling more like yourself!

PS-- I've taken Bactrim before, but since I wasn't going to be out in the sun much I'm not sure how sensitive that can be. It sounds like you've got it "covered" (sorry about the pun!)

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Sharshe View Post
                        I finally was able to speak to the Dr about it and she said most people aren't bothered by the sun.
                        Hah. I tried to send you that same bit of info in my response to your PM, but I was running out of room.

I was on it 10 days (or was it 2 weeks? I can't remember now) pre-op, and was still tanning every day. The photosensitivity side effect wasn't one I had, nor was it the first time I took it when I contracted MRSA in 2001.

As long as you're familiar with the ant under a magnifying glass effect of the sun in the Riviera Maya you'll be fine. Just protect yourself normally! (... and I'm sooooooo glad "normal" is back in your world )

With a 5 year old in tow, I guess no "behave yourself!" is required, eh? - LOL!

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

problems again... back in the hospital

I received this PM from Bud, and am passing along the information to all of you.

Sharon has been admitted to ST. Marys tonight.She went to the ER about 1:30 this afternoon. She has been having intermittent tightness in her chest, shortness of breath and fatigue.They suspect a blood clot problem but the testing has been inconclusive. They have done x-rays, blood work, ekg, and a cat-scan. The cat-scan was a bit blurry in the part of her lung where she is feeling some pain so they are keeping her for observation.
                          That' all we know for now.

Bud

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Oh, man ...

Yes, please ... keep us posted.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Just got this update from Bud... so relatively good news.

We just got home. The tests did not show any blood clots and her heart is fine, but were inconclusive as to what it is.
                              The best guess from the doctor is inflammation of chest cartilage. There was not a test for that. This can be caused by both physical and mental stresses which are both present.
                              The doctor told her to take Motrin. That would be a bad thing at this point in the fusion process so it's grin and bear it. At least we have ruled out anything serious.
                              Bud

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Oh Jeez, I'm so sorry she's having more problems. I hope the pain resolves itself quickly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                                X