Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heathmoose
    ...wish I could have had the boob job along with the back surgery!
    Oh, GIRL ... trust me ... you do not - LOL! I've had both, and I wouldn't wish that double whammy on my worst enemy ...

Becky, as far as a post-op brace, I didn't have one. If it's a TLSO type, however, it's not *that* different from a Boston brace used for JIS/AIS treatment pre-op (just minus the pushing pads).

Yeah, it's hot, but you'll learn to deal with it for a temporary span. And it's so funny (being from Houston) to see people ask if you have A/C . We're just so used to baking almost year 'round, it's easy to forget not everyone wears shorts at Christmas - LOL.

Whomever wrote something to the effect they took a full bag and could've gotten by with a Ziploc nailed my scenario dead on.

I went to the hospital in yoga pants, a t-shirt and flip-flops ... and came home in the same.

I did bring pajamas, but never changed into them. The first few days, all the extra "attachments" (i.e., catheter and drain line) besides the IV would have made it near impossible to manage without an opening in the back.

Then again, I really couldn't have cared less about changing clothes.

I wore my hair down ... mostly because ponytails hurt my head after more than a few hours. It was prettttttttttty nasssssssy by the first time I washed post op after it "marinated" for 2 weeks ... bleck. I tried to convince myself it was a good thing ("break from styling" ... "conditioning treatment"), but it didn't help much - LOL.

I know you're nervous, but hang in there ... it'll be done and over before you know it!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Holy Crap!

I haven't had time to even check the forum for a few days and OMG, I can't believe the responses! What amazing information you all gave! I'm leaving work in a few minutes, so I'll try to get on later and address some of the issues individually. Most of all, I just want to express, AGAIN, how wonderful each and every one of you are. You are the most caring, willing to share, sympathetic, fabulous people I've ever known. Thank you!

I do have to take a minute and respond to a couple of things. First, those *&$@### hot flashes. Wanna talk about 0-bitch in 2.2 seconds? In fact, I've given myself the nickname Becky the Bitch. I can hardly wait to add the brace to that little recipe.

Speaking of the brace, it's a TLSO brace. I went to the brace-making place Monday and they took measurements and I'll go back sometime before surgery and try it on and they will make any adjustments necessary.

Gotta run grab a kid from school. Again, you guys ROCK! Thanks!
      Becky, 46 years old
      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
      Ignored until 448/07
      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
      Fused T-10 to L-5
      14 titanium pedicle screws
      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
      Email

Comment

I wore the hospital gown the entire time in the hospital. Every gown they gave me had one tie string missing so they had to give me a few gowns so I could tie the gowns together. The lady in the next bed had the same surgery she wore a thin pair of shorts over her underwear so when she got up she wasn't exposing her butt. I was constantly pulling the gown around me especially during visiting hours. There was construction work going on in the hospital next to my room so there were many constructions workers in the hallways. My roommate and I had to pull our curtains closed because we seen them looking in at times.

Sue

Comment

Well, here is the deal...
          I did not get a brace post op... however I wore a milwauke brace for about 10 years growing up... I lived in the tropical heat of Central Africa (long story parents were missionaries) .... It was HOT HOT HOT HOT... and I had a lot of prickly heat rash... but that is another story....
          As far as what I took to the hospital...
          I agree that all I would have needed was a galon size zip lock...
          I liked the hospital gown..
          when I got home I wore very loose night shirts and loose fitting pj bottoms when I had to go do something......
          Of course the bra story is that I have always hated bras but I really took about 7-8 weeks before I could stand to have one on... of course I also had the rib recession and that may home something to do with it....
          Just relax.. I know you are nervous.... and this surgery is very painful.. but you will come out on the other side like many of us being glad you did it..
          Hugs
          Paula
          Me: almost 43 .........
          scoli since age 6.. milwaukee brace 10 years
          surgery 04/04/2007 ...
          13 verterbrae w/ rib recession ...
          1 year post op.. feeling MUCH better.. still rib and shoulder paid but no back pain!!

Comment

Working...
          X