No announcement yet.

I'm now 6 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you just sounded like "a picture is indeed worth a thousand words", but I appreciate your second post as I'm a little alarmed at the thought that this (could) be me?!? so emotions are running a bit high to say the least.

I have emailed the surgeon to get some clarification with a specific question about this curve and that it does, indeed, look unnatural.

I'll post back if anyone's interested.
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Let us know what he says!! I'm curious to know. Although, I have a picture (as crazy as this may sound) of the American Idol top 6 and if you look at Carly Smithson's (who should not of been voted off, but that's another story) profile, she has a swayback. So maybe we are taking this a little too far. I don't know. I am curious though.
      A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
      T2 to Sacrum
      Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
      Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
      Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
      Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
      Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Sway backs

Hi Debbie, So good to see you posting. I don't know if you remember me or not? We had surgery on the same dates (Oct. 15 and Oct. ). We talked on the phone a long while back. Anyway I was amazed when I read this thread. I thought maybe I was the only person with a sway back. My surgeon said he balanced my spine and that was very important for many reasons (which I don't remember). Like you though my back sways inward and my belly sticks out (very pronounced). I wasn't fused up as high as you, maybe that's why my chest doesn't stick out. There is no way to stand and hold my belly in, the way my back is fused the sway back is just the shape it is and it won't bend. I sure understand what you and Cathy and any others with this problem are going through.
        All the other issues you mentioned are definately with me too. I hope they do get better with time. I'm having headaches almost every day now too, don't know if it's tension, or if my neck and below (I knew I had a couple of pinched nerves there before) is working too hard. I know I don't want another surgery to be fused higher... I see my surgeon next Tuesday for my six month visit. He has been out of town so it will be a little past six months. I can't wait to hear him say everything is okay. I won't go into a lot of detail right now but I took a couple of falls this week and am pretty sore and nervous. Didn't mean to get so carried away here. This forum is great.
        Susie Bee, you really described the climb of this recovery to a T.
        Take care all,
        Susan
        Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
        A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
        Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
        Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
        Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
        X