April, May, June 2008 surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gayle...

Yes, Krysi's surgeries were scheduled for then, although the second date was tentative, depending on how she was doing. But regardless it would have been fairly soon-- I think the 21st if not the 18th.

I've been wondering too. I PM'd her a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I'm assuming she just isn't up to looking at the computer yet, and will hopefully let us know soon. If you (or anyone else) hears anything, please share.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

sometimes...

Hey guys-- just wanted to pass on a little "flag" for those of you about to have surgery. Before I had mine, the nurse at the school where I work said to be sure and warn my hubby that sometimes your face gets really puffy. Her father had extended back surgery when he fell off a roof (in his 70s!), and even though she was a nurse, she was totally unprepared for how he looked after the surgery. His face was all bloated and his eyes were bulging. She thought for sure something had gone wrong... but it hadn't. It is sometimes a side effect of being on your stomach for such a long time. That said, I need to also say it doesn't always happen... I didn't get that way, although my torso itself looked a bit swollen (no jokes, please!!!) Maybe it's just a sporadic thing, but also, for my surgery they used a Jackson table (I think that's what it's called), where they release some part of it so your stomach can hang free (again, definitely no jokes! I'm sensitive!!!) I think that relieves a lot of the pressure and prevents some of that excess swelling.

Anyway, you might want to prepare your family that it's a possibility your face might be swollen afterward. That way they won't feel alarmed if it is.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

For me there wasn't any swelling in my face but I did have 5 small areas that "broke open" and left me with 5 small scabs. I used the "Mederma" and if attended to right away it works very well in reducing or almost eliminating the chance of a scar.
        My stomach swelled a great deal.....6" to the waistline. At almost 7 weeks post-op it is still at 4" greater than normal. Oh to wear jeans again! Carol
        CarolS
        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
        Osteotomy March 20,2008
        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Okay put me down for June 9th

It's a little tentative at this point but I'm pretty sure we're going to try and make it work.
          Susan
          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
            His face was all bloated and his eyes were bulging
            Great. That's just great. Can this surgery get any worse? Now, I'm going to tell my kids I will look like a fat guppy.

Sigh. Oh well, thanks for the heads up Susie. Knowing is better than not knowing (I think).
            Susan
            XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

C. mama-- Don't worry about it-- just don't be alarmed if it happens. Life gets better! And chances are good that it won't, I think. You'll get through this! Take courage from us-- Been there, done that, movin' on... And I added you to the first post... let me know specifics if you want them there too.

Carol-- You made me feel better that you were swollen too. I NEVER (hardly!) measure things like my waist-- way too depressing (!), so I have no idea how swollen I really was. As for jeans it was a good 6 months or so before I tried them. There was no way to wear them, even if I'd wanted to, with the brace I had, because it came down too far. No way to fasten or unfasten pants. That's why those drawstring ones were so great! And I didn't even have to tie them-- just sort of squoosh the ties up under the brace and I was fine. When I was done with the brace it was still hard to pull up something tight and fasten... But I'm a jeans gal through and through, so I manage!

PS--David Wolpert addresses the swelling issue in his book... p. 114.
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM. Reason: add "ps"

Corrected to 15°

Comment

loves to skate

Hi everyone,
                I just wear my fat jeans now. I did manage to get my skinny jeans on one day ( I lost 10 pounds with the two surgeries) and they were very tight, but couldn't get them off as they were the pegged legs. I couldn't get them past my feet so had to have hubby pull them off for me. Does the abdomen ever go back down to normal and when might that happen?
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

surgery seems like a preety tuff thing 2 go thro 4 some ppl. the Lord will always be with us, He promises, and He won't break that promise either.

GOD BLESS U ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Last edited by sparklegirl59; 05-07-2008, 03:14 PM.
                  Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                  I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                  My curves were 30 and 31
                  I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                  I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                  I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                  I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                  Don't be shy...
                  Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegirl59
                    surgery seems like a preety tuff thing 2 go thro 4 some ppl.
                    Hey Sparklegirl.

Yes this surgery appears to be a very rough road for the adults.

But it seems like it is much easier on kids. My daughter had this surgery and, though there was lots of pain, she has no regrets and is glad to have had it. She was saying that by the second week after surgery.

I just wanted to tell you that in case you ever need surgery. I hope you don't and that your brace holds your curves below surgery territory.

sharon
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

With all the bloating comments being raised I figure I better run and pick up some stretchy shorts I had the yoga pants because original surgery was supposed to be in February. It will be a long hot summer without shorts.
                      But this is also making me think some, does the long term bloating seem to happen more with the anterior surgeries? Good luck to all, don't know if I'll have time to post much now, trying to get all the last odds and ends done.
                      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                      (left open with just clear dressing)
                      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Originally posted by Sharshe
                        But this is also making me think some, does the long term bloating seem to happen more with the anterior surgeries?
                        I submit that Sharshe has posed the Question of the Month....other than the fact that this is surgery month.

Frankly, it's all about Bloating. Doesn't matter if we're thin. Doesn't matter if we're fat. Doesn't matter if we're daunted by the most difficult surgery of all time.

It's all about BLOATING. I intend to ask God about this someday.

(All silly and stupid comments are intended for the humor of the situation....which is better than laying awake at night worrying...at least for me).
                        Last edited by Chihuahua Mama; 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM.
                        Susan

Comment

Surgery date changed

I just wanted to give an update on my surgery. My doctor called me this evening and said he would rather do the surgery May 27th because most of his regular surgical team will be away May 20th because of the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. It was really nice of him to let me know about this because I wouldn't have felt as comfortable if my surgery had been with a group of people my doctor doesn't normally work with. I'm kind of annoyed that I have to wait an extra week, but it's better to be more cautious!
                          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                          2003- 33 degrees
                          2005- 37 degrees
                          2006- 44 degrees
                          May 2007- 47 degrees
                          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                          Fused T1 to L2
                          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

news from Krysi! -- and more...

I had sent a couple of PMs to Krysi (Dalmatica), who was scheduled for surgeries on April 14 and 18... and she sent me a PM last night. Here's what she said...

Originally posted by dalmatica
                            Hi and yes I survived not two but three surgeries. I will post a bit about it on the forum as my memory and skills come back to me. Krysi
                            (Just saw that she also posted in her thread "surgery dates are looming"...)

Briarrose-- I got your date changed in the first post. Sorry you have to wait an additional week, but you're so right-- it will work out for the best. Enjoy your extra week--somehow!

C.Mama and Sharshe-- by all means have loose comfortable clothing for afterward. I'm sure your doctor (or his nurse) will tell you to bring loose clothing to the hospital, etc. I think it doesn't matter which surgical approach is used-- there's apt to be some swelling in your torso from the trauma of the surgery. Mine was posterior. I think the possibility of face swelling was attributed to being on your stomach for so long, so that's in line with posterior surgeries. It's not that big a deal.

Sharshe- we sure are thinking about you as it's getting close to your date! We understand you may have other priorities for your valuable time! So know that we will be thinking of you and praying for successful surgeries-- and the same for Kjungrl's daughter and Tngirl07, who are also having surgery this next week. I know when it was just before my surgery date, I kept thinking "YIKES!" and having my insides do that flip-flop thing that happens when you're a bit stressed... and VERY emotional! But there was also a part of me that was celebrating, thinking "Yay!--it's almost over!" You'll all do fine. Big hugs, and if you don't get back on here much before your surgery, know that we'll be looking forward to that first post when you are "on the other side" of surgery-- and are able. Susie
                            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM. Reason: Krysi posted too...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I have finally got the scoliosis book delivered took a while....its a good book lot of information in it that helps, and my mum and dad have found it intresting aswell.

I have been reading it page by page everything
                              Thanks for recommending it everyone.

Angela
                              Angela, 25 England.
                              75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
                              Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
                              Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
                              May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Yes, it's a pretty interesting book! I'm glad your parents are reading it too. Just remember that it gives you a really good idea of the "big picture" of it all, but everyone's own surgery and recovery are different, so expect yours to not follow everything he says... like some of us take longer with the pain meds, etc. Since you are so young, I am sure you will recover a lot quicker though. Thinking of you! Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Working...
                                X