No announcement yet.

Hi, I am new here...I'm am considering surgery and terrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d like to see some scientific evidence too. So much so, that if you can show me substantiation of long-term studies proving that curve progression was halted and in many cases degree of deformities reduced through exercises, I will cancel my upcoming surgery and visit a Schroth clinic.

Chris

Comment

Oops, my apologies -- I just now returned to this thread and noticed the questions.

I agree about the chiropractors. I was treated by several. Nice people, not expensive ($45/visit), but a waste of time aside from short-term pain relief. I have never seen any solid evidence that chiropractic can work for scoliosis.

In contrast, there is a quite a bit of scientific evidence for the Schroth method. A Turkish study (50 patients, 2005) over a 1-year period recorded average Cobb angle decrease from 26 to 18 degrees, and increase in vital capacity (lungs) from 2800 to 3200 ml (about a pint).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

A 1992 study of 107 patients at the Bad Sobernheim clinic recorded average Cobb reduction from 43 to 39 degrees. Half were unchanged, a couple got worse. Over 40% got at least 5 degrees better, and some of them must have gotten much better than that in order to increase the whole group's improvement average as much as they did. The Turkish study did better, probably because small curves are easier to correct than larger ones (26 vs 43 degrees).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Here's another study by Weiss (the director of the Sobernheim clinic) of 181 patients over a longer period.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

I have offprints or photocopies of several of Weiss's studies including the 1992 one above, both in English and German. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Search at PubMed on "schroth scoliosis" for other studies -- there are quite a few.

Also, seeing is believing. Christa Lehnert-Schroth's book on scoliosis treatment has lots of pictures of cases she treated, some very dramatic. Here's one of a 24-year-old woman whose left side was completely caved in and atrophied at the start. The photos depict her Before at left, then After 3 inpatient treatment courses of three months each, and finally After the fourth course. Still not cured, obviously, but improved.

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image.../img4/glowfoto

Schroth is not a miracle cure, and it won't work for people who cannot commit to about a half hour a day of exercises they learn in training. I've looked around for ten years and have not found any complete system of techniques that collectively make as much sense as this method. It will surely be modified and supplemented in the future by creative practitioners, but right now it seems to be the most effective conservative program for scoliosis.
      Last edited by Writer; 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM.

Comment

You've come to the right place!

Hey Rach! Just wanted to let you know that you are in the right place to get good advice and to hear other's experiences. I am close to your age and I just had my surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I won't lie, it was very tough, probably the toughest thing I have been through, but guess what, I am already making such a great recovery! The first three weeks were the toughest for me but out of nowhere, it seems like in the last couple of days, I have been taking leaps and bounds and really doing a lot more on my own. I still have some pain, but it is so much better. My point, if we can do it, so can you. You are young and hopefully will have a speady recovery. Just listen to your doctor and do exactly what he tells you. Keep us posted on how your appointment goes.
        Jamie Age 29
        Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
        2008 Curves - 39/63/44
        Surgery Date - 3/25/08
        T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Hi Welcome

You found the right place!
          Those folks gave you a lot of good advice. I hate to admit it (I'm a guy!) but I was scared too! The thing that helped me most was siting down with the right doctor. Plus getting things ready for the main event helps me by occupying my mind. Last but not least all the great folks on this forum that really do care. I'm pretty new here and just thought it would be good if we had a How To Prepare heading or maybe Getting Yourself And Your House Ready. Then newbies like us wouldn't bug the experienced folks as much! BUT I know they REALLY don't mind!
          Best To You!
          Chris

Comment

Hi, Chris!

Thanks for responding Chris. You are right, there are a lot of great people here and there is a lot of helpful information. I think your thread idea on How to Prepare for Surgery is great! Are you scheduled for surgery?

-Rachel-
            Upper curve 36*
            Lower curve 55*

Comment

Hi, Jamie!

Hey, Jamie!

Thank you for sharing with me. I can’t believe your Dr. got your curve down to 15 degrees! Congrats!
              I am glad that you are making a speedy recovery. If you don’t mind me asking, what was the hardest part for you? Something I keep thinking about and granted I know it’s different from person to person, but can you bend after surgery? I have a lot of questions that I didn’t think to ask my doctor. When I go for my follow up in 6 months I will be sure to have all my questions down on paper.

Well, please keep me posted on your recovery. I hope the very best for you.

-Rachel-
              Upper curve 36*
              Lower curve 55*

Comment

Working...
              X