No announcement yet.

Hospital bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry, I can't help you here... I was 15 when I had the surgery. I would of flipped out if my mom tried to sleep with me, although, she slept in the same room for a while, but don't tell her I am thankful for that!
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

hospital bed

7 months post-op, fused T2-T12, age 55, UK.

I would have liked a hospital bed for the first few weeks at home, but managed quite well without it. I slept with my husband from the time I returned home - I was worried about disturbing him but he really wanted to be close to me. It was also a comfort having him there and holding his hand as I went to sleep - first while back home is quite regressive. It took a while to sort out a comfortable surface - mattress was too hard so we piled quilts on it, a friend lend me a fleece etc. until we got a mattress topper. It was not expensive but made all the difference and is comfortable for both of us. Plan to take it with on holiday! I haven't found it hot (nor has he) but I am experiencing sweats, in my case probably because of discontinuing HRT just before surgery.

It really does make a difference to be comfortable lying down, but things improve reasonably quickly, when the stiffness, numbness and muscle spasms reduce.

Best to all,

Lavinia

Comment

Carebear,
        I slept with my husband from the 1st day home from the hosptial. I actually found it easier to sleep with him, because I could use him to help me turn over or change position at night. The first week or so I was rather weak and the weight of the TLSO brace made it awkward to move, so I like him in bed.
        SandyC

Comment

I visited 2 rental places today and found I can rent hospital beds for $155 and up/month. It uses a crank to raise the entire bed, which should be done probably just once, to get it the right height for Erica to sit comfortably. The other adjustments for head and knees are automatic and it has bed rails and a mattress. I notices an air mattress also available but they don't have information right away regarding rental, as they usually deal with medicaid or medicare for it. I will also look into my insurance for rental. Maybe I'll be lucky! I heard someone on the forum mention the air mattress, but the salesman said it is mostly if you have open bed sores, etc. Not sure if there is a difference is need for comfort between having your whole back healing or bed sores. He said it's a few thousand dollars for the air mattress. Unless I find the rental reasonable and worthwhile, I think I'll pass on the air mattress. Anyone know of using an air mattress? They also said the memory foam would not be made for a hospital bed, as the hospital bed is not a twin size mattress, so I won't look into getting a topper if I rent the Hospital bed. Kris

Comment

Hospital Bed

Kris:
            You probably won"t need a Hospital bed. I had surgery Feb 8,2005 at 63 years and also considered It. We ended by buying a Tempur pedic topper at Sams. It was great. I had a huge operation, instrumented all the way to the sacrum, so, recovery is hard. The topper is great, my husband likes it too. He could not sleep with me in the beginning as I could not sleep at night. I simply watched t.v. all night for months. You will probably do well with three pillows propping youand another thicker smaller pillow between or below your legs for turning. You will log roll out of bed. Kathleen

Comment

Hi,
              This is my one year anniversary and I would like to add that the hospital bed made my life after surgery very easy....My reasons were simple.....getting in and out of bed made easy by the push of a button to help raise my back to a simi sitting position to help me get out of bed...or when getting into bed, to help me lie down....The hospiatl bed also raised my knees up so it took presure off my healing spine...I missed sleeping with my husband but it was good for two reasons...first him moving around could cause any unnnessary movement or pain with my back,,,plus he slep better ..knowing that his movement didnot bother my sleep....I rented the bed at a surgercial supply company..and only for one moth....when I moved into my bed I did get a mattress topper...but that was only so good...the best thing to help a healing spine after surgery is TIME......
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism
              complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
              increasing pain at the T4/5
              point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie, thank you for your comments on the hospital bed. That is exactly what I hope will help: getting the back lifted and then eased down with the push of the button, as that should encourage her to get up and around easier. I sure don't need to stress my back by trying to help her around more than I have to. We have the dining room table moved out and ready to call and get the bed put in when she is ready to come home. Thanks for suggesting a month rental being an appropriate time needed. Kris

Comment

Working...
                X