No announcement yet.

Surgery June 23 or 30 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy to hear from you Chris. I guess not everyone can have a remarkable recovery, but slow and steady sounds good too. I am glad that you are able to stay with your brother's family.

Take care and let us know more when you are feeling better.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Chris, I'm so proud of you for your strength so far!!! Congratulations for being 'on the other side'!! You might have some discouraging days, but the ENcouraging ones will outnumber those more and more. We 'aint spring chickens' anymore so don't expect to bounce back like some chicks do.... but just keep clucking.... we'll get there!!!!

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
      JoAnn

Comment

Congratulations Chris. I'm glad you are back and on the recovery side. Recovery is tough, and for some, it is longer and tougher that for others. Just keep the faith and put a smile on your face and you will do just fine. God bless you. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Chris is great to hear from you. I've been thinking about you and was happy to see your post. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Paul

Comment

Dear Chris,

It is good to hear from you. Congratulations on your great correction and regained height. You had a very large lumbar curve, and I am sure you have quite an adjustment to make being realigned. I would image you have to adjust to walking with your new configuration. I am now 6 weeks post-op and have left leg issues, but have always had a slightly weaker and slightly shorter left leg. I just took myself off the walker and now use a cane. I'm starting to do more but am a little pokey and have to rest intermittently.
            Good luck with your continued recovery. Your muscles need to take their time to heal after your big surgery. Take good care. Rita

Comment

Thank you all for your well wishes. They are much appreciated. Chris

Comment

Dear Chris,

Weakness in my left leg really plagued me in those first few weeks. I'm now two months post-op and finding that the leg is getting stronger and stronger.

Hang in there!

AND, I am WAY HAPPY that you returned to share your story on the forum. I've appreciated so many things you've written!

Ginger
                Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Thank you, Ginger. Earlier this week I ditched my walker. My leg too is getting stronger. My PT has given me some at-home exercises to strengthen the muscles and they have helpd a lot. I'm using my cane now when I go outdoors. I walk like a little old lady, but at least I'm walking.

Chris

Comment

Yeah Chris!

You seem to be making great progress, and it will continue to improve. Just keep walking and doing the PT exercises. Before you know it, you'll be driving again. I keep my cane in the car, and still use it when I go into a crowded location - sort of a warning signal to others.

Ditching the walker was a real high emotionally for me - mine is somewhere in the back of a closet, and if I ever find it I'll donate it so I won't have to see it again (or maybe I just won't clean out my closets )

Has your doctor or PT recommended hydrotherapy? I have been doing it since the end of May, 3 x / week, and it has made a huge difference. Most of the workoouts are to strengthen core muscles, and I can really feel them kicking in at this point.

Glad you have returned to the forum - we are here to support you.
                    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris, I'm so happy about your surgery and recovery, but may I ask a question of Janet who just posted ahead of me. How do you get your doctor to measure your post-surgery kyphosis? Does your kyphosis change during the time you wake up to the time in the evenings? I hate seeing myself in mirrors and usually just won't look. I've got to find out more about this kyphosis that didn't happen until this past 5th surgery.

Chris, again, bless your heart. Your faith came through for you in a big way. You've, like so many of us, have walked the valley of death.... and made it.
                      Diane in Dallas
                      Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                      Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                      Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                      Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                      Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                      Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                      Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Diane BCSW-

It sounds like your experience with kyphosis is somewhat different than mine.
                        I went into my surgery last December with a 100* kyphotic curve that had developed over the past 50 years; 1 month post-op it was about 57*. It was measured in the same manner as the pre-ops: standing x-rays that are marked up with all those geometry-class tools the names of which I don't recall.

I don't know what it is now 'cause I haven't had a real post-op exam (due to other circumstances) but I am seeing Dr. B on Sept. 15 and I'll find out more then. However, I think it is holding at about 57* degrees.

I hadn't even thought about differences between AM and bedtime measurements but I am sure there is a difference later in the day - my muscles feel overworked and I'm sure I am slouching somewhat - but at least the next morning I am straighter again. I think that any change I might experience is due to just plain slouching rather than the rigid curve from pre-op days.

Hope this helps somewhat.
                        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris WBS

Chris:
                          I was wondering how you are doing?
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                          X