Surgery June 23 or 30 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've come a long way baby!
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Congratulations Chris. I am excited for you. We are both on this countdown together and will have post-op stories to share. Looking forward to hearing about the "new" you. Take care.

Comment

Congrats!

It's a tough decision to make. Now everything will fall into place. Wishing you all the best!
        CSC
        Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
        S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Again, thanks everyone for all your comments and support.

CSC: Yes, it’s taken me close to three years after much research to make my decision. But after seeing my spine looking more and more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa that’s about ready to topple over, I knew I had to take action. In addition, I turned to my strong faith and prayed for guidance which I was given.

Comment

Chris--your wonderful faith will pull you thru this....prior to my surgery, I wish I had more belief in the higher powers! It's something that was learned thru this experience....Ly

Comment

Look luck with your surgery

Hi ChrisWeb
              I have consulted with Dr Gupta. Even though he didn't think I was a surgical candidate, he is a wonderful human being and surgeon. I wish the best of luck and a good recovery. I also find his assistant, Maria, quite wonderful. I will be checking on you on how things are going. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.
              Donna

Comment

Good for YOU!

Hi Chris,

Good for you for making a decision to go ahead with the surgery! Making the decision and saying it out loud to yourself and others is a major step forward. Take advantage of the the time before surgery to make your plans and preparations. I kept a small note bedside that listed the reasons I was going to have the surgery. It was a quick reminder and kept me focused on the future. I have absolutely no regrets for making my decision, and I was glad I did not wait any longer. I will be one year postop when you have your surgery, and I will be celebrating for both of us!

Linda W.
                Linda
                Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Thank you Lynne, Donna and Linda.

Donna, I’m sorry you were not offered more encouraging news from Dr. Gupta, but I am one who believes that there’s a reason for the whys and why not’s in our lives. My preference would be to avoid this surgery altogether, because I would rather have a mobile spine even it that means living with a deformity, but my worst fears were realized when I saw x-rays of my spine that showed significant progression within just one year. In addition to Dr. Gupta, I consulted with Dr. Hammerberg, Dr. Schafer and Dr. Bridwell, all of whom have excellent reputations. I then turned it over to God and asked to be led to the doctor who is right for me, and I felt myself being guided to Dr. Gupta. I’ve read your earlier posts and you state that you are not in pain in spite of your 125º curve. That in itself is a blessing. Surgery is by no means a perfect solution and as you read through many of the posts here you will learn that many people live with chronic pain even after surgery, and sometimes as a result of surgery. Nonetheless, I will keep you in my prayers. Oh, and for the record, like you, I have never been married and I will turn 59 this year.

Chris

Comment

ChrisWBS ... sorry to interrupt your thread, but I wanted to tell you your PM is full!
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Chris W,

I just have to chime in here, to wish you all the best!!!! I know you have struggled with this decision for quite some time.

I am SO glad you have found the Doctor that gives you the peace and comfort you needed to go through with it.

You will have all my thoughts, prayers and best wishes!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Shari

Comment

Has anyone heard about ChrisWBS?

I've been thinking about her and wonder how her surgery went.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

5-week post-op update

Hi Karen,

I survived my 12-hour surgery but it has been very rough. My fusion is from T4 to the sacrum. I can feel the rods in my back and the pelvic bolts. My recovery is anything but remarkable. It's slow and painful. I did get a very good correction and gained back most of my lost height. I now stand two inches taller at 5'6". Walking is difficult for me as I feel very unsteady and fearful of falling. I'm using a cane indoors but need my walker when I go outside. My doctor though is not in favor of walkers. I have weakness in my left leg which is slowing my progression. I was in the hospital for six days (4 days in ICU) and then two weeks in rehab. I'm currently staying with my brother and sister-in-law. I sure hope I'll see some better days ahead soon.

Thank you to all the kind people here who were asking about me.

Chris

Comment

CHRIS!!! Welcome back!!!

It will get better, I promise. Remember, I used a walker for 3 months and today I took a 3-mile walk. You can do it!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

YAY, Chris! It's wonderful to see you back on the forum! Singer is soooo right. It just takes some of us awhile to get going. You're doing just fine. Keep us posted with how you're doing!
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Great news, Chris. YOU DID IT !!!!!

It is difficult at first, but it really improves in a fairly predictable sequence. You will see many better days soon.

Although I lost 2 months of recovery due to my stomach obstruction, now at 7 months I am doing almost everything I want. I started in-home PT in April and got out of the house in May, started driving soon thereafter, been in hydro-therapy 3x / week since end of May - it has been a huge help. I have regained a lot of strength, and my balance is far better than it had been for the past 30 years!

My thoughts are with you.
                                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X