Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wearing soneone else's back and it ITCHES!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had that same itching on the ridge of my rib hump and I'm pre-surgery. Geish is right, the more you rub or scratch, the more it itches. I've tried to describe it before and couldn't find the right analogy, but I like the ants. That's exactly what it feels like!

Pam, it's amazing to me how different meds affect everyone so differently. Some that you've mentioned in the past (can't recall which ones at this moment) that haven't had an effect on you just kick my a**! The Gabapetin makes me relaxed but I haven't noticed any problems with depth perception. I refuse to drive once I've taken it for fear of becoming SO relaxed I'll float right through a red light. So I take it about an hour before I go to bed. My doc did say that you will build a tolerance of sorts to it and won't feel the loopy effects. Maybe that'll give you a little hope!

FeliciaFeliciaFelicia, if I took 300mg 4 times a day I'd be a Jello jiggler just lying in the bed jiggling. I'm impressed!
    Last edited by skoshi314; 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Ant bites!!

Ant bites is the PERFECT description. I know exactly what you're talking about... it is nerve regeneration, like they're reconnecting. You'll be sitting there and just bolt straight up at the these little electric shocks. I never came online much after my surgery, but 7 years later it's SO great to hear that you guys are experiencing what I was experiencing and I wasn't totally nuts.

And "wearing someone else's back" is so right! I called it my "new body", your ribs are in different spots, and after a lifetime of your insides being in one place and then so drastically moved, it takes some time getting used to. I remember always having a numb itchy feeling in my right ribs because they rotated them so much during surgery, my skin wasn't used to the sensation of having ribs under it in this new location.

You guys are great.
      lisanicolegrace
      29/F/Canada
      Surgery - 11/10/2000
      80° curve to 19° post op.
      www.lisanicolegrace.com
      @lisanicolegrace
      facebook
      x-rays
      picture of my back

Comment

Yes, it does take time to a body that's been "rearranged".

I could not walk a straight line for ±10 days - LOL ... my entire center of gravity was OFF - lol.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I was told years ago that itching is a form of pain. I have a spot on my face that when I scratch it, I feel it on my back. My daughter had a spot on her stomach that she feels on her back. Some of the itching is the nerves growing back. I had to put up with the itching inside a body cast. I learned to ignore it.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

That's so weird - but I can relate! I occasionally have itches on my fingers, and the place to scratch is NEVER where it itches (it's usually on the other hand!).

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

It took about a year for that itching/tingling/numbness to subside. I would feel itchy but yet couldn't feel myself scratching. So don't worry, the sensation should come back in some form or another.

As for Lyrica (Gabapetin), I can't take it. Tried again the other night and 75mgs will hang me over the next day big time yet I live on Oxycodone. I know it can be a miracle drug for some but I can't tolerate it. I have tried it several times over the years and same results. Krysi

Comment

Originally posted by skoshi314
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia, if I took 300mg 4 times a day I'd be a Jello jiggler just lying in the bed jiggling. I'm impressed!
                I LOVE that mental image!! It's amazing to me once again the varying effects that drugs have on different people. Like me on valium - just plain loony tunes!!!
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by csc
                  Samsmom,
                  I hope you don't mind a word of warning. When I went to my two week visit, I was told not to use a heating pad. Since areas are numb a burn could develop without that person being aware of it. When I had used it, I used the lowest setting. Advised to use ice packs instead.
                  I have not developed that "itchy" feeling. My back does not feel like it's a part of me. It seems so swollen at times and that is when it really bothers me. I wore a
                  Milwaukee brace as a teen-ager and now it feels like it's inside me. It feels like I am leaning against bars when I lean back in a chair. Anyone experience this?
                  Thanks for replies. Sorry, I don't have an answer for the itchiness, Pam. Hope it goes away soon for you.
                  Thanks for the word of warning. I honestly never thought of that!
                  Samsmom
                  Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                  42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                  Fused T-4 to L-2
                  Yale New Haven
                  2/5/08

Comment

Working...
                  X