Home Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duh

I've been fused T3 to L5 not S5. Can I put that down to age, too much anaesthetic, lots of pain meds or plain stupidity? Your call......

Hazel
    Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Comment

Well you do have an excuse Hazel, yes your heads foggy from pain med! What's my excuse for typing that and not picking it up. The Sacrum doesn't have S1-S5 it's one solid piece - isn't it??

Why the crutches, oh that sounds so dangerous to me! Did your Dr recommend them or did you just think they would help you get around?? If you need something to aid your walking for a little while to keep you steady, what about one of those gieatric (sp?) walkers?? Elysia was asking for me to get her one BEFORE her surgery - I didn't get it for her, she didn't even need any support in hospital to walk - but then she's just turned 13!
      Here is Aus you can hire them for very little from the local pharmacy!

Keep up a positive frame of mind - one step backwards, your reply? - two steps forward!!!

xx
      Del
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Crutches

I was given the crutches at the hospital by the physiotherapists to use until I could walk properly again. I assumed it was "normal" to be given them.

Hazel
        Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Comment

Crutches ... ???

I, too, have never heard of crutches after fusion surgery (which may very well mean absolutely nuttin! - LOL). As a crutched veteran after countless knee and ankle, um, "incidents", I'm just thinking out loud here ...

Are these "under the armpit" full crutches, or hand grip, waist height stabilization crutches (think Tiny Tim)?

Proper use of full crutches dictate *not* resting on the armpit area, but supporting your weight on the mid-level crossbar. It seems full crutches would exert FAR too much load on the fusion used *either* way. You're supporting the entire weight of your body through your torso, and I'm seriously confused why they'd want you doing that anytime soon.

Additionally, waist height crutches - actually, either type - bring to mind "just one more thing over which to trip!".

Most commonly, a walker is prescribed (if anything, post-op - and simply for balance). Crutches, on the other hand - especially for someone who isn't used to crutches - can *cause* imbalance. Again, even if you *are* used to them, it just seems they would pull on your fusion.

I'm going to see what I can find out today on the use of crutches after fusion sugery: This prescription really concerns me, Hazel ... it's certainly not standard. Maybe I'm overreacting, and they were provided for some reason of which I have no knowledge; I just can't imagine *what*.

I hope you're feeling better ... you've been in my thoughts!

Best regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X