No announcement yet.

How to explain this to others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All those tub "helps" are invaluable... I've put away my shower seat and don't use the hand held shower head anymore, but even now (9 months) I always use the tub rail when getting in and out of the tub. It hooks over the edge of the tub and gives you a hand rail to hang on to. I've got it right in the middle, so it works getting in/out from either end of the tub. It gives me support when I'm drying off, etc. -- and I hang on to it when I dry my feet off. (How do you guys do that???) I flop part of my towel on the edge of the tub, put my foot on top of it, and then pull the towel towards me... it pretty much dries the bottom of my foot off that way. All these fun challenges!

Anyway, I'm just fused to L4 but I was able to step into the tub ok too--although it gave me a sense of security to have someone help me in and out at first. It used to just exhaust me to take my shower. I used the shower seat and hh shower head for probably 4 months because it really made it easier. Then I thought I'd better grow up, since I could manage. That's about when I took out the raised toilet seat also. It was so handy with those arms on it--and I could swing my feet if I wanted to. There was no problem getting off of that baby!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Sammi,

I'm wondering how your surgery went and how you are coming along in your recovery. From what you wrote in your introductory post, it looks like you had surgery a couple of months ago. As a single woman myself not too far behind you in age, I'm about to embark on this journey and would love to hear how you are doing and coping. Please drop us a line to let us know how you are doing if you are up to it.

Take care,

Chris

Comment

I understand: posted also to Chris Web

If I had had surgery, I would have had the same problem; not married, no children, etc. I will reveal something else to you about my medical history. Six years ago I had surgery for pancreatic cancer. I have survived. I got along without family, but I did have a visiting nurse.
        I think you will do just fine. The hospital will provide whatever help you need. My cancer surgery was at Northwestern and they took into account that I was essentially alone. I do have a brother, and a friend drove me to radiation treatment.
        One of the issues being examined in my new psychotherapy is why I would seek scoliosis surgery after surviving one of the deadliest of cancers. Perphap I thought is if I had one miracle, why not another?
        Dr. Gupta did recommend, at first, a 2 stage surgery. I asked him which part of the spine was the most risky to operate on. He said, the riskiest was the cerivcal spine, then the thoracic spine, and the least risky, the lumber spine.
        So maybe if your major curve is in the lumbar spine, it will probably go well for you. But so far, very few people on this board have a curve as severe as mine. I am still trying to accept being turned down for surgery, but I am happy for you and others.
        Donna
        Last edited by scoli125; 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

There are all sorts of odd inventions which you might find helpful, there is an automatic kitty litter tray scooper that cleans out the cat tray for you, and also automatic feeders and waterers, all somewhere on amazon. I haven't used them but have seen them mentioned on here.

I would suggest getting in the pool to get fit proir to surgery, it's really helpful to increase your lung capacity and is relaxing too. I just do water walking at the moment (post-op) but pre-op I did frestyle swimming, kickboarding etc. I totally agree that you should build up your leg muscles, swiss ball squats are great for that. I did pilates too with the physiotherapist (PT).

As for the social support thing, I would suggest going to your church leader and telling them how major the surgery is, what the expected recovery time is, and saying what you will need from people. Often churches can put you in touch with organisations that do home-care type things. Most of my support came from family as friends couldn't cope, but I'm in a different generation! If you tell them how little family that you have, they should step up more as the assumption that someone else will be there is gone.

Freeze meals ahead! Order in, order groceries online, all those good tips. Look for posts from TX marine mum when she was preparing for surgery, she was going it alone for a lot of it, so she had done huge amounts of prep.
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

On Your Own

I am very fortunate to have a wife to take care of me. I don't want to sound like a broke record (mentioned in prior thread) but have you considered a lift chair? You mentioned arthritic knees, if your doctor will prescribe a lift chair insurance will pay on it, and it should help you immensly. Also if you look in classifieds or local advetiser/trader papers you can sometimes find good used ones for a decent price. Also ask the folks at church and they may know of one you could borrow!
            I wish you the best and GOOD LUCK,
            Chris

Comment

I was wondering how Sammi2 was doing as well. I talked to her Feb 6th and surgery was 2 weeks away. Hope everything went well!
              CarolS
              68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
              Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
              Osteotomy March 20,2008
              Thrilled with results!

Comment

If you are home now Sammi, do you have "Meals on Wheels" available to you where you live? I understand they provide not only meals to elderly but also to people recovering from surgery or major illness. This could be a resource for you so you don't have to worry so much about groceries and meal preparation.
                Hope you are recovering well and out of rehab. Let us know how you are.

Comment

Working...
                X