Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A working calendar ...

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
    ... Hopefully they'll get the NSF calendar working so we can use it rather than needing to post.
    If it's not fixed in the next day or two, I'll toss a simple calendar app on my own website and put a link to it in my sig.

People really need to be able to add/edit/delete their own entries since so many things can change a surgery date.

Sound okay to all?

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Michele,
      Sam will recieve Physical Therapy while she is in the hospital beginning the day after surgery. They will get her standing, taking some steps, and eventually sitting in a chair and walking.
      Before my most recent surgery I attended a Spinal Fusion Class where one of the nurses explains what happens on the floor, answers questions, etc. and a physical therapist, occupational therapist and other people involved in post-op care come and talk. It is helpful to meet with PT before surgery when you are still lucid so that you know exactly what they want you to do before surgery. The physical therapist showed us how to log roll, and showed us a few basic exercises to do while in bed to prevent pooling of blood in the legs while laying in bed. It was easier to remember after surgery since it was explained before surgery when I was not already medicated.
      Depending on her doctors preferance and her recovery, she may or may not require physical therapy after she gets out of the hospital, many young people do not.
      Wishing her good luck on her upcoming surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Thanks CURVEYSAT05 for the heads up. I will be sure to bring a pen and paper to the Physical Therapy Pre-Op appt and take notes so we don't forget anything. Also think that I need to start looking for another treadmill to have at the house since ours broke a few months back. PAM, if I get any pointers that I think you can use as well, I will definitely post!
        - Michele
        Samsmom
        Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
        42 Degree Lumbar Curve
        Fused T-4 to L-2
        Yale New Haven
        2/5/08

Comment

Originally posted by samsmom
          ... PAM, if I get any pointers that I think you can use as well, I will definitely post!
          LOL, Michele ... while I really AM trying to cross things OFF the list, it's still growing! If I take in one more bit of info, my brain may shut down completely ;-).

I did another nocturnal cleaning/organizing last night, and I swear I came up with a whole 'nuther page of things to do (i.e., change all the lightbulbs ... I have 11' ceilings - and they all tend to go at once, get my teeny bedrail - with pocket to hold stuff - installed, pick up the tilting laptop tray I ordered, etc., etc., etc.!).

The upside of this is I have NEVER been this organized (ever, ever, ever). I look at some of the stuff I'm tossing, selling or freecycling and have to wonder "WHY have I moved some of this crap at least 4-5 times???".

It's unfortunate it took surgery to get myself in order (and be ruthless about divesting stuff I don't use), but I'll just chalk it up as the first mark in the positive column (hopefully followed by many more!).

Regards,
          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Love the calendar, Pam!!!

Thank you for helping those us that are not quite as crafty to keep up with all of you going into your surgeries! You are a very competent lady, as well as very funny! You're either going to keep your nurses rolling in the floor laughing, or keep them on their toes.

To all of you getting close to going in for your surgeries, we'll be here praying for you and waiting to hear back. Please send word with someone to let us know how you are. Each and every one of you are very, very special. God Bless...
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
              Samsmom,

I only had a pre-op consult with Anesthesia ... and none scheduled for PT. The only thing I can think of is maybe to learn/practice logrolling before it's absolutely necessary?

Please let us know what all it involves ... now I'm curious ;-).

Regards,
              Pam
              Hi Pam,
              It ended up being like a little meet and greet because the PT will be the one seeing my daughter in the hospital after the surgery. She just asked questions about the layout of the house, her school, etc. The only thing the therapist showed her was how to get out of bed. So, it turned out to be no big deal. Oh, and by the way, they were able to get the other unit of blood out of her today for banking her blood. Thank goodness that is over. She likes your idea of just having a good time till the surgery now that everything is done!

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

Hi txmarinemom

My daughter Annessa is due to have spinal fusion surgery on 7th February 2008 in Scotland. She is 14.

Great idea about the list!

Kind regards

Anne
                Mum to Annessa, age 15
                53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Surgery date is getting nearer!

Hi Samsmom

The time is going in fast for our daughters and I hope you and Sam are coping ok. We went to see the spinal liason nurse yesterday at the hospital and she showed us around the ward and introduced us to the nursing staff. We also met the theatre co-ordinater who was lovely and sat with us and explained to Annessa everything that would happen to her pre-op. She showed her what a drip looked like and how it worked and had a book with photographs in it and used them to demonstrate each stage that Annessa would go through before theatre. She was quite funny and I ended up feeling a lot calmer than I had for ages, although I did start to get a bit emotional but managed to control it! (Annessa gets mortified when my eyes start welling up - which is quite a lot these days!).

Later on we sat with the spinal liason nurse and she spent a long time answering any questions we had and told us what to bring and trainers being better than slippers, although someone here on the forum had mentioned that they wore "crocs" which I thought sounded a brilliant idea but Annessa said she doesn't want them. She said we could bring in food for her if she takes a fancy for anything, which I was relieved to hear as I'm not sure she will enjoy hospital food. I can stay with her once she is on the ward and they will make a little bed for me. Annessa's main questions were when could she have her friends into visit and could she use her ipod! She has started her iron tablets and although she is apprehensive about it all she is coping well.

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going. I am thinking about you all.

Take care
                  Anne
                  Last edited by Neesasmum; 01-25-2008, 05:33 AM.
                  Mum to Annessa, age 15
                  Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                  Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Hi Neesasmum,

Good to hear from you. We are right on track with you and Aneessa. Our appointment for the hospital tour was yesterday also. Everyone could not have been nicer there and although Sam did not want to take the tour initially, I am so glad that we did and I think she is as well. She was in better spirits today than she has been in awhile.

The first night after the surgery Sam will be in the ICU. I am assuming that is how it will be for Aneesa, right? My husband or I will be able to stay with Sam when she is in a regular room as well.

It is a good thing that Neesa wants her friends to come up to visit. I think that will do the girls a world of good to see their friends.

If Neesa is apprehensive, perhaps she would like to e-mail Sam. She is apprehensive too of course, but she is a little older and it might be good for them to chat and complain to each other. I asked Sam if she would like to talk and she would like that very much. I will send a private message with her e-mail address if you would like.

Best to all,
                    Michele
                    Samsmom
                    Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                    42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                    Fused T-4 to L-2
                    Yale New Haven
                    2/5/08

Comment

How'd it go, csc???

I was just wondering how your angiogram went--and if you're still "on" for the 29th. I know you must be swamped with getting ready, but if you get a chance, just do a quicky like "it's a go" or something. Thinking of you!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Samsmom

Great to hear from you again! How about our two girls having their hospital tour on the same day!

Yes, just like Sam, Annessa will be in ICU for the first night then onto a ward.

I think that would be a brilliant idea if Sam and Annessa got in touch and Annessa said she would love that. I will PM you with all the details now.

Take good care.
                        Anne
                        Mum to Annessa, age 15
                        Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                        Fused T4 - L1

Comment

It's a go!!

Thanks for thinking of me! The angiogram showed a weakness in one of the valves so I'll be on beta-blockers at some point. I feel fortunate that it was caught. Heart problems aren't always discovered in women.
                          Soooo thrilled!!! that my surgery date won't be changed. There is so much to go through before this surgery. I'm all hyped up for it and as ready as I'll ever be!

CSC
                          Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                          S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi csc

Good luck with your op on the 29th January. I will be thinking of you and looking forward to your next post.

Take care and all the best.
                            Anne
                            Mum to Annessa, age 15
                            Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                            Fused T4 - L1

Comment

New Calendars

There are two new calendars available:

1. Surgery & Bracing Dates

All registered members can now post their scheduled surgical or bracing treatment dates.

Please be mindful that this calendar is an opportunity for the community to keep other patients in their thoughts and prayers or send their best wishes as they or their family members prepare for their treatment for scoliosis and related spinal deformities.

This is not a place to question or debate what option or method someone has chosen, but rather it is a time to come together as a community to offer respectful support and encouragement.

2. Scoliosis Support Meetings, Events, Conferences & Clinics

All registered members can now post schedules of important patient information meetings or sessions. Please let the community know what scoliosis related activities are scheduled in your area that may be beneficial for them and their families.

Both of these calendars are viewable only by registered members. Go to the Jump section on the right hand bottom of the Calendar Page to select the new calendars.
                              Best Regards,

JOB

Comment

Originally posted by Joe O'Brien
                                There are two new calendars available:

1. Surgery & Bracing Dates

All registered members can now post their scheduled surgical or bracing treatment dates.

Please be mindful that this calendar is an opportunity for the community to keep other patients in their thoughts and prayers or send their best wishes as they or their family members prepare for their treatment for scoliosis and related spinal deformities.

This is not a place to question or debate what option or method someone has chosen, but rather it is a time to come together as a community to offer respectful support and encouragement.
                                Thanks for getting this fixed, Joe.

If you'll read this thread all the way through, you'll see no one is questioning anyone (the calendar I put together is just *that* ... a calendar).

There's actually very little conflict on the board these days (pop in now and again to see for yourself ;-): That noise pretty much *ceased* when a certain member stopped posting.

And off you go, all who have your names listed in the first post of this thread - and any who don't. Let's get this calendar rolling!

Regards,
                                Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X