No announcement yet.

Travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be embarrassed to ask for mobility assistance at the airports, esp. if you have a connecting flight at the opposite end of a huge airport. In Philadelphia, my flight landed at terminal F and my connecting flight left from A.... each terminal has i think 25 gates.... there was NO way i could have managed my carry-ons and gotten there in time. I asked for assistance and there was the sweetest little old fellow waiting for me with a wheelchair when i stepped off. He knew all the shortcuts to the front of the lines, didn't mind asking people to move aside, told me what paperwork to have ready at the next stops...helped me thru security ... he was absolutely great.... (earned a generous tip, too!)

Just ask for help. They want you to.... and don't be shy about it.

Comment

Hooray!

I'm so glad your trip went well vndy! I didn't set off any metal detectors either.

Geish--and anyone else planning a trip... Regarding pillows on the flight--if/when I go on another, I will definitely take my own--at least a little neck bolster type one. Don't figure on using the airline one--it just doesn't always happen. I have discovered that my back doesn't conform to the way those airline seats go--in a sort of a gentle "c" shape with the neck a little forward. They are so uncomfortable to someone with a pretty straight, non-flexible back--we have great posture, but can't relax it any! If you try to sit back, it pushes your head forward. I asked for one of the little flight pillows and was told they were all out! About an hour later I asked again, explaining that I had a medical problem--and my husband was really put out when I was again told they didn't have any... fortunately someone a seat or two away heard and gave me theirs, so it ended up a little better for the remainder of the flight. By the way, it wasn't some little airline--it was United.

The seats in my van also curve that way, but not as bad. Plus you're not usually confined for so long!

vndy--just curious--did you have any problem with your shoes in going through security? Did your boyfriend deal with picking them up for you? Or any other tidbits for others that you can think of? Is your next trip in a few more weeks? Have fun!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Vndy - I'm so glad your trip went well for you! It is nervewracking the first time flying after this surgery, wondering if the detectors will go off and how comfortable/not comfortable you will be on the plane.

Speaking of travelling, my boyfriend and I will be going to Peru in March! I believe this proves I am off my rocker, so to speak, since we will be getting there from ALASKA, but I'm hoping to take advantage of the time between flights to stretch out and walk around. Has anyone done much foreign travelling after surgery? I'm wondering how 30 hours of travelling felt (specific to your back -- I know the rest is crap!) I also worry a little about explaining this surgery to foreign security folks if the detectors go off in Bogota or Lima.

Also wanted to say I second bringing your own pillow. And, I used one of those little seat wedges, which helps your butt not sink down and back into the seat.
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Alicia - Susie is exactly right about why the pillow is so important. Particularly because I'm "petite" (okay, SHORT) the shape of the chair is NOT the shape of my body (even before surgery. The pillow really solved that problem. Regarding sleeping, I was comfortable in the hotel bed. It was really wide, so I'd have to log roll multiple times to get towards the center, but I slept very well. Driving still makes me nervous too. I change lanes VERY slowly, to give anyone in my blind spot time to get out of the way. I'm also driving slower than usual, because getting in an accident is just terrifying. That said, I think I'm more comfortable than I was 2 weeks ago... slow and steady progress I guess?

Susie - Oh, shoes! I made the mistake of wearing cowboy boots (thinking they take up so much room in suitcase, I may as well wear them). While it was a bit awkward, I've gotten fairly competent at balancing on one leg and lifting the other up in order to take of my shoes, and I was able to do that with the boots. I did have to sit down to put them back on though. My boyfriend had helped me, though, when I've struggled with them (he calls me Cinderella!). The only other "tidbits" I can think of... keep in mind pre-boarding is an option - while it may not be totally *necessary* it does mean getting off the plane sooner! I preboarded on one of our flights, but decided it wasn't worth it for me. Also, I packed my carry-on VERY light. I took out some things that I usually care with me, like my medicines, camera, and a book "just in case" I wanted it and packed those in my rolling bag (which my boyfriend handled). All I really had was an Ipod, our tickets, wallet, and keys, and a few other incidentals. I think that made a big difference for me.

You'll also laugh at the fact that I called my surgeon's office to ask his assistant (who is always wearing the greatest shoes) whether or not heels would be harmful for me. We decided that the stillettos should wait a while longer, but lower heels or wedges were fine.

Geo- Peru! WOW! I'm jealous! We had a layover between our flights in one direction, and I took the time to pace the terminal. I also was sure to walk while we were waiting for our flights, which may have helped me out. Have an AMAZING time!

Our next trip is in 2 weeks, when we'll go to see my boyfriend's family. I also have my 2 month post op tomorrow... eek!
          2000 34*L/39*T
          2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
          (initially planned T4-L1)
          12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

You had me laughing....

I can just imagine cowboy boots! What fun! And now you're talking stillettos??? Ah, to be young and foolish--and able! You also had me laughing about logrolling several times to get to the center of the bed... Tell us how your appt. goes tomorrow. I'm still wondering when I'll get released to do a little more... my 10 month appt. is in March. And yes about the pillows--it's not that I needed it for my head--it's for the upper back through neck area... I never considered myself to be short--used to be 5'4.5" (and still think of myself that way)--but had shrunk to a little under 5'2". Now I'm back to a little over 5'3"... but even when I was the "taller" me, I had a short torso. With the scoli, it got even worse. They just don't make car/vehicle seats one size fits all comfortably.

Gosh, geo, that's a L-O-N-G flight... I don't have any tips for you other than stretching and changing position and walking around some. Two of my three daughters have been on long ones (China, Australia, Sri Lanka, etc.,) but they don't have the medical problems... Maybe you can start a new thread so it can catch people's attentions. Surely there are some post-ops that have gone on long flights. It might be worth a try, anyway.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X