Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it my imagination or are more people having posterior-only surgeries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susan, it took months for my belly to go down, and the incision side of my belly is exactly as you describe, hard like a muscle. It is also numb but painful -- hard to describe. Sometimes it itches inside but of course I can't scratch numb skin! It's very weird. From what I hear, that can take a year or more to feel more normal again.

Trulyaries, I feel badly that you are facing yet another surgery. But the anterior approach will be worth it if it finally stabilizes your spine!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris, I thought about the incisional hernia myself. I finally just a moment ago called my surgeons office. He is out of town until next Tuesday, but one of their PA's will be getting back to me either today or tomorrow to address my concerns. I may sound like a big baby but I just do not want any other surgery right now (or ever). I know none of us do and several are looking at revision and other surgeries and my heart goes out to them as well. Thanks for your input.
      Take care,
      Susan
      Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
      A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
      Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
      Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
      Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Singer - Sounds like mine, so hard to describe and mine feels like it itches inside too. Did your swelling finally go down? Is it still hard like a muscle? Sorry you have the same problem but hearing from you helps me feel like I may not be so different after all. Maybe in time it will go away, I hope.
        Thanks for your input!
        Susan
        Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
        Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Yikes, Susan and Chris - you're not making me feel any better about the anterior surgery! Susan, please post and let us know if you find anything out from your doctor. My stomach has already gotten so big just from my inactivity and bending over for so many months - I asked my doc if he could do a lipo and tummy tuck while he's in there. I hate to think that my stomach will get any bigger than it already is!

The hardest part of all this is family and friends asking why I have to have yet another surgery. "Can't those doctors do it right the first time??" That's mainly what got me down during the holidays.

Anyway, thanks for your kind comments and support, and allowing me to vent a little. I'll be interested to follow your progress.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Certainly didn't mean to make you feel worse about anterior

Trulyaries, Boy I didn't mean to make you feel any worse about having your anterior surgery. I really feel that the healing is good and the pain level is minimal compared to prior to the surgery. I just sent a message to Chris and hadn't checked the forum yet or would have posted here first. I had some encouragement tonight. My 38-year-old daughter (she is a nurse) stopped by tonight to check my abdomen. She doesn't think it is a hernia. She feels that it is muscular by the way it feels. Of course she doesn't know for sure but I do feel better and I will let you know what I hear from the Dr.'s office. Before my surgery the left side of my lumbar area in the back was huge with this hard muscle, all my muscles were twisted every which way. My daughter said that with all the hardened muscle I had that it had to go somewhere when they straightened my spine and perhaps that is what I am seeing and feeling. I still look 99.9 percent better than before but when you don't know for sure what something is and it feels hot inside your body you worry. I do anyway. I will keep you in my prayers for your surgery. Keep the faith and keep us posted.
            Take care,
            Susan

Comment

Not to worry, Susan - I won't let your experiences stop me if I decide to go ahead with the surgery,which looks more and more likely. My 1/15 appointment will be the "go/no go" decision day. I had an abdominal surgery many years ago (my spleen was removed) so I have some idea of what to expect. Hope the news from your doc is good.
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

My abdominal incision was the easiest of all

Dear Trulyaries,

I was more than a little nervous about having an abdominal incision to deal with as part of my second stage. My incision starts at the navel and runs down to the sacrum. A vascular surgeon was in charge of making the incision and moving all the assorted organs out of the way so they could place implants at L3,L4 & L5. I was very pleasantly surprised that it was minimally painful compared to having my back opened on both days. Sorry to hear that others have experienced far more discomfort for side incisions. My scar is healing nicely at six months and looks good to me. I have an old scar going crosswise from some gyn surgery many years ago. If I have any more surgery, I will be able to play tick tack toe on my abdomen!

I spoke with a 59 year old patient of Dr. Rands who at 9 months postop from A/P surgeries had a hip replacement. She said it was a piece of cake after having the "big kahuna" of spine surgery. You are a strong surgical veteran and a "big kahuna" as well! Best of luck to you at your appointment on the 15th.

Linda W.
                Linda
                Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Susan,
                  I had an A/P surgery on 12/5 with a horizontal incision just a couple inches long a little below my belly button on the left side. I feel the exact same thing you are describing and I had wondered if it was normal and what it was. I hadn't really started to worry about it yet since I am only a month post op today. I will ask my surgeon on the 15th what this is and how long it takes to return to its pre surgical state when I see him. I also found that my anterior surgery was easier to recover from than the posterior. While from time to time I get some minor pain at the incision, I don't really notice that it is there (besides when I sneeze).
                  I also have problems with having a regular bowel movement. I have been taking senna kot (stool softener with a laxative) to help aid in keeping things moving.

You can mark me as a A/P December surgery on a young person (20 y.o.). I had my 4th surgery for Flatback, Loose Screws/Pseudoarthrosis, Herniated discs, a curve above the fusion and correction of junctional kyphosis. The surgeon did the anterior procedure first and removed the discs at L4-5 and L5-S1 and replaced them with bone wedges and BMP. Then he did the posterior procedure and removed all my old hardware (T4-L5) and replaced it from T2-Sacrum also anchoring it in the ilium on both sides. I had 96 staples in the posterior incision, I havent measured it to see how long it is. I spent 6 days in the hospital and went to rehab for another 5 days. I am now recovering at home using a walker and a wheelchair to get around.

Comment

LindaW: Thanks for your good "big kahuna" comments - I appreciate the support!

CurvySAT: You go, girl! That was some surgery you had. I feel for you having so many back issues at your age, but it sounds like you are coming through with flying colors.

My appointment can't come too soon so I can plan the next few months of my life. I feel much better with the support I'm getting here. Thanks to all.
                    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia

Comment

Experience not as bad as I guess it sounds?

Hi CurvySATO5, Trulyaries, LindaW, and others,
                      At the end of the day I think I had a good surgical experience except for this weird "pouch" thing. My anterior incision was also horizontal, a little above the belly button down to the sacrum, started a little to the left and then below the belly button it is right down the center. The incision area itself is hard from the scar tissue, this other thing is???
                      Anyway yesterday after my husband went to work I discovered my phone didn't work. I called (from my cell phone) a friend who reported it. Then my cell phone wouldn't hold a charge so it was out. Needless to say I didn't hear from my doctor. I think instead of worrying I will wait until my Jan. 15 appointment since it is only 10 days away now and see what he says. I don't have unbearable pain, just strange feeling.
                      Wow, Curvy, that is a lot for a person your age. Having it done while you are young is a plus. My husband works with a woman in her 50's who had the surgery when she was in her early 20's and she works for the Post Office, on the dock, lifting packages, heavy items, pushing carts, working hard and on her feet all day and handles it very well. All the best to you Curvy. I must be wordy, ran out of room. Susan

Comment

CurvySATO5,
                        I just noticed we both have appointments on Jan.15, guess we will find out what is going on with our abdomen. I too take stool softener every day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. You are all an inspiration to an oldie like me...
                        Susan

Comment

My appointment's on the 15th also. It's going to be a big day in Scoliosis World ...
                          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia

Comment

This woman’s curve looks identical to mine. http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2007/...orrection.html
                            The only difference I can see is that her thoracolumbar curve has the more common right convexity whereas mine is to the left. Note the rib cage resting on her pelvis. That’s exactly what has happened to me. Within just the past few years I have lost my waistline. There’s so much discussion about heart/lung compression with a big thoracic curve, but I think these big lumbar curves can be just as detrimental to abdominal organs. I have noticed changes in my bowel habits and am experiencing intestinal problems. Last year I had a colonoscopy to rule out anything serious, but I seriously suspect my scoliosis is the offender. I note this woman was treated with a posterior only approach.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I have been looking through Dr. Hey's sight for several months now. I am very impressed with the blogs, info. provided about the surgeries, pictures, videos, testimonials, etc...very interesting . It is me I'm sure, but on the x-rays does it look like screws are fewer and more spread out? Maybe there are different schools of thought on this???

Mary
                              age 41
                              T-64
                              L-35
                              Mary
                              T-64
                              L-40
                              Wore Milwaulkee brace from 6th grade until 11th grade. Surgery was scheduled Oct. 1983, did not go through with it.

Comment

Mary,

I think these surgeons are comparably trained in screwing techniques (no pun intended), but as in any profession, some are obviously more skillful than others.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X