No announcement yet.

A toenail-clipping poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: Goodness Linda, you could lose a toe using those clippers! (see above 2 for link) I have similar things for pruning trees in my gardens! I guess losing your toes might solve the problem of clipping, but you kind of need them for balance.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, I got some great suggestions here! I love the extension-clipper gadget Linda linked -- when you're finished with your nails, you can go outside and trim back your azaleas!!!!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Important clipping update

I just managed to clip the nails on my left foot to perfection by crossing my leg over my right knee. I couldn't quite reach the right foot yet -- the right leg isn't flexible enough. But Hubby is happy that he only has to do one foot -- that's my Christmas present to him.....
        Chris

Comment

Joining the toenail-clipping poll!

I am 7 weeks post-op, fused from T-10 to S-1 and so glad to see this poll!!! I sometimes feel that I am unable to do anything for myself in the personal area. I definately can't cut my toenails and I have tried all of the suggestions on the poll. Maybe I don't have much flexibility or...

LindaRacine, I was so glad to see your link, I may just order the tool to clip my own toenails. I can only shave the top of my legs, definately not from my knees down. And my husband is definately not into cutting my toenails or shaving my legs. I still have to wear the brace and it keeps me from doing a lot, but then if I follow my doc's orders I should not twist, bend, or lift.

This forum is great. I don't post often but I do read quite a bit and love the info. I will jump in there in the future when I have something to add because all of you really have helped me. My curve was 62 thorocolumbar pre-op and I don't know what it is post-op. Can you believe I did not ask that question?? I am straighter and a couple of inches taller. Still having quite a time adjusting to all the limitations but knowing the alternative I am glad I had the surgery. I am supposed to be weaning myself down off the pain meds but the pain is still quite strong, so... I just keep trying... Thanks to all of you for posting on this forum. God Bless,
          Susan
          Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
          A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
          Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
          Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
          Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
            I love the extension-clipper gadget Linda linked -- when you're finished with your nails, you can go outside and trim back your azaleas!!!!
            LMAO, Singer ... I needed that. Thanks! ;-)

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Welcome, Susan GP!! So glad to have you join us!!

Hang in there, your flexibility will get better, and so will your pain. Don't rush yourself! This a long and slow recovery that you have good days and bad....two steps forward and one step back... you know how that goes... but you WILL make it!!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                Yikes Carol...

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Weren't you told not to bend more than 90 degrees?

--Linda
                Hi Linda,
                Yes I had the 90 degree restriction but at 6 weeks my surgeon told me I could bend forward but not lift anything while doing that and also not to go further than was comfortable. I was always very flexible (lots of yoga) and being a small person I think helps as well. It is also easy for me to bring my foot up behind myself but I found it easier to lean slightly forward.

I did ask if anyone knows if you are allowed to sit on the couch and lean sideways with a pillow under your ribs. I know it is not sitting straight but sometimes it is so hard to get comfortable.
                CarolS
                68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                Osteotomy March 20,2008
                Thrilled with results!

Comment

I wouldn't dare sit that way myself, as I'm always careful to keep my hips and torso even and aligned. It IS really hard to get comfortable for the first few months.
                  Chris

Comment

I plan on using this as an excuse to get regular pedicures!
                    Geish
                    47 years old, dx at 13
                    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Working...
                    X