Body Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for the little people

I was somewhere between 5'0 and 5'1/2" pre-op, I'm I am now a FULL 5'2 (maybe even a quarter inch over!). I still feel like I'm in someone else's body; wearing heels feels like walking a tightrope (talk about an altitude change!), and all of my shirts are suddenly too short. It's a good thing, I think, but it takes time to get used to. Before, I always felt like my ribcage was too big for my body (because it stuck out to one side) - Now, each time I look in the mirror, I'm pleasantly surprised every time. I wonder when this body will feel like "mine"!

Those of you "little ones" heading into surgery, I think that the slight growth makes a bigger difference for us - proportionally, it's a bigger change!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
      I don't know if anyone else here is in this situation...
      while i am really excited for a normal looking back, I am dreading the height gain. I am already 6' 1/2'' as it is. I think I wouldn't freak if i was 6'2'', but any taller than that and I think I would be really, really self conscience. It has taken all 20 years of my life to get used to how i am now, I can't imagine starting over. I am just fearing that I am going to feel like i do when I put on a pair of tall shoes. UGH! I'm excited, but NOT for this part!
      Also - don't feel too self conscience about it! You can pull of anything with confidence.

Comment

Wow - I didn't think there were so many shorties here! What compounds my lack of height is that I am so thick around the middle - my "trunk" is like a tree trunk - straight up and down - and wide! My surgeries helped that only minimally. Even though Pam and I are close in height, there's NO WAY IN A HUNDRED YEARS that I will EVER look like she does in her photos.

This all reminds me of when I informed everyone after my first surgery when I gained back most of my height, "no more short jokes," my niece (4'10") said "Short??? I always thought you were tall!!"
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Good to know there's some other "tallies" out there!!! As for everyone else, if I could give you a couple inches I would in a heartbeat! My height is something I guess I'll have to deal with... tall boys, come my way!!! haha.
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
            Good to know there's some other "tallies" out there!!! As for everyone else, if I could give you a couple inches I would in a heartbeat! My height is something I guess I'll have to deal with... tall boys, come my way!!! haha.
            lol - there you go, that's the spirit.

I have to say, the only thing that sucks about being this tall is finding ties that aren't too short

Comment

And while we're all in a giving mood, I have about 30 lbs. I'm more than willing to give anyone who will take them!!
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Trulyaries, you can post those on the "durable medical supply" forum I suggested, or the (still non-functional) surgical calendar ...

:-)
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Abbie,
                  I'm with you on the height. When I was first diagnosed with scoli I was 5'8". I grew to 5'10" before my first surgery and I think I am around 6'0"-6'1" now but have not been measured since my surgery on 12/5. It is hard to find the "tall boys" since even the tall ones are not as tall as I am.

Comment

what do you mean by sway backed??? or sway back?

I'm considering surgery so it's been interesting to read all your replies

-x-

Comment

Was shrinking, now tall!

When my surgeon pulled me out of bed two days after surgery so I could stand, I saw shock and awe on my husband's face as he saw me now nearly 3" taller!
                      I used to be around 5'5", shrunk to around 5'4", now up around 5"7. I put on a pair of my heels (4 1/2") and I was as tall as my husband!

Sway back is where the lower back has more curve than normal, so a person appears that they are leaning back more than normal. In some people it is just the way they are. It can be somewhat a result of the surgery, degeneration, or abnormal muscle physiology.
                      2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                      2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                      Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                      Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Working...
                      X