No announcement yet.

Body Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 5 weeks post op and I have to say that I cried the first time I got ready to shower. I hadn't seen a waist on both side of my body since I was about 12. I couldn't believe the difference in how I looked. The night before surgery I had my daughter take pictures of my back and stomach so I would have documentation of my progress. When I looked at the pictures on the camera I was stunned at how twisted and warped I looked. I knew my stomach had a fold just under my ribs that I couldn't hide caused by the rotation of my spine, but I had no idea it looked so bad. I still can't believe that my stomach is flat or that my torso has elongated so much. Everyone I have seen since the surgery can't believe the difference. Not only am I 2 inches taller, but I am standing up straight and the habitual lean to the left is gone! Sorry to go on and on but I am still in awe and can't quite believe this isn't I dream I have to wake up from.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

How wonderful for you!
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
      (left open with just clear dressing)
      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Geish-I can relate to your post! I am about the same age & was so happy with having a waist and having the rib hump gone. I now often wear belts which I never did before surgery(as I got worse)
        Funny how after a yr &1/2 post-op, I tend to take it forgranted as I tend to forget now how badly disformed I was....
        about your other post on being tired, I was always tired at the stage you are now at. It's normal. Your body has been thru so much that it just wants to sleep & repair itself..........Lynne

surgery-aug 2006 fused T11 to L5/Boachie/Kim
        95 curve to 60 Kyphosis was 85
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I am 3 months post-op and I am not all that happy yet about my new body. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled at the fact that I so far have no back pain from the scoliosis anymore. I have gained 20 lbs. (I am 5'1" and 147 lbs. way too much for my height) since my surgery, the most I have ever weighed in my life. My doctor said that some of it is still swollen from surgery...maybe he was just trying to make me feel good...LOL. So, needless to say, my pants (Jeans) do not fit me anymore and I refuse to buy any. I have about 15 pairs. I have been wearing sweat outfits for 3 months now and I am getting very tired of wearing the same things. I think that when I lose weight that I will be happy with my new body. I kind of feel like I have a sway back. Does anyone feel that? I'm thinking that maybe it's because my back is the way it is supposed to be now.
          Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
          Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
          Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
          Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

I'm with you, DebbieM!

I too, am not happy yet--but that has been a problem most of my adult life! (On and off I've gotten my weight down.) I had to laugh also about what your doctor said, since it's been 3 months. Of course, maybe he knows more than we do! You and I seem to be in the very tiny minority who gain weight from the surgery. I mentioned to David Wolpert that I had actually gained 8 lbs. in the hospital, even with an ileus, and he said he had never run across that before... I am working on my weight now, with the go-ahead from my scoli nurse to lose a pound a week. That will be very slow progress, but actually could be 15-20 lbs. by summer. So there's hope! Sure would be better than staying the same or, HORRORS! the chance of gaining even more. IF/when I lose it and actually like the way my back looks, I may post "year after" pics. We'll see! Some of you older post-ops have really inspired me with your "young looking" backs! You look as young (fit?) as the young gals do.

I am thrilled with the amount of correction--just wish the extra padding would disappear too! Busy working on it-- Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Body Image

When I started to seriously research surgery last spring, the reason was clearly to stop the radiating pain from buldging discs and to stop the progression. Then I found this forum and so many of you have had great cosmetic results, I hoped for that as a side benefit. By time of my surgeries in Dec my curves were in the 60 degree range. My Dr says I got ~ 50% correction. On xray it looks like the most correction was in the lumbar area, perhaps because of both the posterior and anterior approaches in that area. I still have a bit of a rib hump in the thoracic area. So I am not perfect but I have to remind myself the real reason for the surgery was to stop pain and progression.
              Jan Lotherington,
              56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
              A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
              at age 55
              Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL
                ... My Dr says I got ~ 50% correction. On xray it looks like the most correction was in the lumbar area, perhaps because of both the posterior and anterior approaches in that area. I still have a bit of a rib hump in the thoracic area. So I am not perfect but I have to remind myself the real reason for the surgery was to stop pain and progression.
                JanL, while my curve isn't progressing (it's held since I came out of my Boston brace at ± 14 yrs old ... I say ± because I think 14 is when my parents finally gave up the fighting over it. I was SO non-compliant, I don't really remember *when* I wore it 23 hrs a day), I too, am having surgery due to disc protrusions above the curve and increasing pain.

Cosmetic "adjustment", personally, is just a possible bonus in my case.

My surgeon estimates correction of my structural thoracic curve to ± 20°, and about a 50% reduction in my rib hump (no thoracoplasty - and, in fact, no bone harvest at all for me ... Hanson will use a combo of allograft/BMP). The rib hump has never really bothered me anyway, so not a big deal.

Actually (and I know it sounds vain), what concerns me most about appearance post-op is what the correction will do to the aesthetics of prior breast augmentation. My plastic surgeon spent an hour or so making sure each side was unequally sized, yet symmetrical. As I've written before, if he'd filled each side equally, right boob would have led the way every day.

What if, after surgery, LEFT boob takes charge of daily navigation? I'm fearful - LOL!

Funny how my left hand can catch a 100 mph softball, yet can't manage to get a fork to my mouth. There are some serious road closures between my left side motor skills and brain. It's entirely possible if left boob gets the wheel, I'll just walk in circles ;-).

And Geish, I love that "tummy tuck" line ... a while back I asked if getting taller would smooth out my lil' love handles. Some said yes, some said no.

I'm going to surgery sleep with my fingers crossed anyway ;-).

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I don't know if anyone else here is in this situation...
                  while i am really excited for a normal looking back, I am dreading the height gain. I am already 6' 1/2'' as it is. I think I wouldn't freak if i was 6'2'', but any taller than that and I think I would be really, really self conscience. It has taken all 20 years of my life to get used to how i am now, I can't imagine starting over. I am just fearing that I am going to feel like i do when I put on a pair of tall shoes. UGH! I'm excited, but NOT for this part!
                  aBbiE
                  22 yr old F,KU college student
                  Kyphoscoliosis...
                  Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                  Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                  I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                  Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
                    I don't know if anyone else here is in this situation...
                    while i am really excited for a normal looking back, I am dreading the height gain. I am already 6' 1/2'' as it is. I think I wouldn't freak if i was 6'2'', but any taller than that and I think I would be really, really self conscience. It has taken all 20 years of my life to get used to how i am now, I can't imagine starting over. I am just fearing that I am going to feel like i do when I put on a pair of tall shoes. UGH! I'm excited, but NOT for this part!
                    I found this funny - I'll be in the same boat! Oh well, I can deal with being tall

Comment

Canadian Bacon-
                      If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?
                      aBbiE
                      22 yr old F,KU college student
                      Kyphoscoliosis...
                      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                      all smiles!

Comment

Y'know, there's just no justice! All my life I was 5'2", with my scoli I shrunk to 5'-3/4"; had surgery, went up to just under 5'2", and now this week was measured twice at 5' even, with me standing up as straight as I possibly could!! Amae28, what I wouldn't give to be able to take about 4" away from you and we both would be happy.
                        Just call me Shorty!
                        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hey Shorty, I got you beat at 4'11" - and that's AFTER surgery. Standing as tall as I can, with my neck stretched. Making them measure me on top of the poofy part of my hair.
                          Chris
                          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Amae and Canadian Bacon ... I'm 5'2" (pre-op) and all I could think when y'all were talking about your height is "DAMN, I bet they actually get to see who's on stage at a concert!!" - LOL ;-).

Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

I used to be 5'2" and now I'm 5' 1/2". I told my kids if I get the 2" back post-surgery, I might get nose bleeds from the altitude! It's a risk I'm willing to take!
                              Becky, 46 years old
                              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                              Ignored until 448/07
                              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                              Fused T-10 to L-5
                              14 titanium pedicle screws
                              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                              Email

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
                                Canadian Bacon-
                                If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?
                                I'm about 6'1 and thats WITH 90degree kyphosis. There is a good chance I'll have surgery this year - I wouldn't be surprised if I shot up to 6'3 with a good amount of correction.

I actually like my hieght! I really don't feel *that* tall

Comment

Working...
                                X