Returning to work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad!

Susie- I am glad you decided to wait. I had to back up and slow down, too. You'll be much better off. Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Susie,

If I could have waited longer I would have. Actually I also needed to get back to work because I was starting to drive myself nuts at home by myself. My husband travels a lot with his job and our daughter lives out of state and our son is away at school. I did come home thoroughly exhausted. I was also doing physical therapy 3 times a week. On those days I was able to leave at 2 pm. Just remember to take it easy. I am finally at the point where I don't even try to lift things or push the vaccum. I know that I will pay for it later! After the first two surgeries I kept trying to do stuff by myself. I think I have finally learned it's not worth it. Take care and I hope you continue to improve everyday!
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I went back to work full time a little over 4 months after my surgery, I am over a year at this point. I have a phsyically demanding job and I was relieved to be able to stand without the pain. I am not completely pain free but it feels a thousand times better. I watched what I did and now I can pretty much do everything although I do watch what I lift. I am a retail manager by the way. I have to bend alot, however I can do a mean squat. Only you can know when you are ready and you must listen to what your body tells you.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Age and condition says it all!

Thanks again everyone, for your help. I think Dawney's response that she does a "mean squat" said it all to me. I am having to relearn/build up to being able to do even an "un-mean" squat. I think because of my back pain and the arthritis in my hips and knees, I haven't really squatted in years... I am about 18 years older than you too, Dawney. I had some "in home" physical therapy sessions for awhile after my surgery, and continued to do those exercises till now, but they were pretty basic ones. Today I began therapy at a rehab center-- and these sessions are supposed to strengthen and stretch my legs and arms. We did an evaluation a couple of days ago that showed my range of motion was really limited. I can't remember if it was my arms/shoulders or my hips, but one was less than half of what it should be, and the other not very much better. I've been having a real struggle (it hurts my arms and shoulders) trying to fasten/unfasten my bra, take a sweater off, etc. And I can't squat and keep my back perpendicular. Of course, I can't squat and get back up anyway!!! Also, when I walk I am tipping forward some, and to the side a little. I think some of that is because my muscles haven't adjusted to the straighter "me" and need to relearn my center. Hopefully these PT sessions will help me improve so I can do those things again, since I'm not supposed to bend over. Pretty pathetic! Oh well! BTW, I realize full well that there are plenty of people my age and lots older who can do those things. But I can't!

Do any of you similar aged (50s and early 60s) scoli people have those problems? Did it get better with time? and PT?
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

One thing that I have learned is that everyone is different. I am very thankful for what I can do with little pain. You still are recovering and as time goes by you will see improvement. I remember how happy I was when I was able to put pantyhose on. That took a long time. Good luck in your recovery.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Pantyhose?!!!

Way to go, Dawney! I'm impressed! I thought those days might be over for good, but was trying to figure out what to wear on my legs when I'm wearing a dress and still look dressed up. My grown daughters (in their twenties) go bare legged, but I always thought I needed to wear pantyhose to look "dressed." Maybe I'll get to wear pantyhose again sometime down the road of recovery. In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions?
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
              X