No announcement yet.

Wondering where my social support is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shari, you did not make any mistake, so please don’t berate yourself so much. Speaking from experience, I find sharing feelings about personal health issues with co-workers is unwise. Too often private revelations are circulated through the gossip mill and can snowball into stories that are untrue. Additionally, if you look healthy, you may be perceived as a whiner. If you have supportive family, you’re very lucky. But sometimes, even family members don’t want to hear your tales of woe. I have a twin brother who remains mute every time I broach the subject of surgery; and I don’t know if it’s because he really feels for me and just doesn’t know what to say or if he’s sick and tired of hearing about my scoliosis. I have a life-long friend who lives in Florida who I know I can call at any hour of the day, and she’s always there to listen to me. She has been wonderfully supportive and has been a blessing to me. But I honestly feel that your best source for expressing your fears and anxieties are the very people who are going through the same thing. Getting involved in a support group prior to surgery is invaluable. I’ve already met some wonderful people through the Chicago support group who have gone through surgery and know what I am facing. One woman even offered to come to my house to make sure it’s post-surgery ready for me. These are the people who can best relate to what you are experiencing.

Chris

Comment

Working...
    X