I Drove!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's realistic?

What's a realistic goal? 1 month? this could be a problem...
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I Drove!

Vndy,

My doctor absolutely forbid me to drive until 3 months post op. I even called and begged. I have heard and read on this forum that people drive much sooner than this.

dhansen
      ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
      T3- sacrum
      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Vndy - I drove at 3 weeks, but ONLY because we don't have freeways in Alaska and I was going straight to work and straight home. Realistically, if I had to drive on freeways, I personally would not have felt safe until about 6 weeks. Your neck mobility is not normal after this, and of course you are forbidden to twist your torso. Also, if you have a stick shift vehicle, I think that would be very painful if not impossible for a good time after surgery.
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

driving under the influence

Vndy - Wouldn't driving post-op also depend on the medications one would be taking? Wouldn't going back to work/school also depend on how heavily medicated one would be?

If you have full benefits with your job - have you looked into FMLA and Short Term Disability? FMLA secures your job for 12 weeks if you are worried about losing it.

I was asked to be in a wedding in December. My surgery is on Monday. So, just to be safe - I stepped down from the wedding and will not present for any of activities at this time (bridal/bachelorette parties). That was one of my problems. Another problem I have are my 2 children. 11 and 6 year old boys. They're going to school - they need help with their homework - they need food on the table. The biggest problem I face is I'm also at risk of losing my job after I return to work because of a slow housing industry... I am optimistic about returning to work at 12 weeks - right when my FMLA runs out.

We all have problems. We all worry. It's how you deal with those issues - don't set yourself up with it if you can control it. You can always postpone your surgery too...
          Last edited by dajanerz; 10-17-2007, 10:39 PM. Reason: to personalize the post and correct comments
          -----------------
          Jane

34 yrs old
          Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
          Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
          Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
          Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
          Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Yet again here is a perfect example of everyone's differences in their recovery. I drove at 4 weeks post-op. I think the drugs are a factor as well as your amount of fusion. I have a back up camera that was a HUGE help and I figured out what dosage allowed me to be able to drive safely. I was not able to check my blind spot very well but just made sure to be extra careful IF I needed to change lanes. (I tried not to.)

Fused T10 to L4 at age 43 Feb. 22, 2006

Comment

Working...
            X