No announcement yet.

swimming-very painful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go swimming almost every day to help my back. Floating can be very painful because your back is trying to move several different ways at once. It is like laying on a bed with someone jumping on the bed! Try breaststroke to start. After about a month, try freestyle. You need to strengthen your back muscles gradually or you will have a lot of pain. I aslways get out of the pool when the aerobics class is starting to come in. Rough water tends to hurt my back. Don't give up on swimming. Exercising in a pool is the best form of exercise for your back.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

trulyaries,
      now I don't feel so bad! before surgery I always slept on my stomach but now I find it impossible to do it. I thouhgt by a year's time I would be ok with that but tried the other night & it was very uncomfortable as it is still numb there. I can't seem to sleep on my sides either. It feels weird. I think I'll check with my surgeon as I am due to go in end of Sept. thks, Lynne

Comment

Kari,

You are still early in your recovery so don't get too discouraged. I know we all want things to get back to "normal" sooner than actually do.

You have to let your body heal in it's own time, and I know who frustrating that is!!!

My thoughts are with you!!! And I know how depressing it can get.

Take some comfort in knowing that you're not alone with this struggle. All of us have been there at some point in out recovery process.

Shari

Comment

Working...
        X