• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great idea Karen!!!

Shari

Comment

My experience

I had my surgery five years ago, and at that time I lived with my sister, who helped me a lot, and I tell you why.
      First thing, I really needed to cover my back to have a shower, because my doctor had told me that the scar would´t touch water.
      Second, I could´t put my socks!!
      So, be sure that someone is with you at those moments!!
      Hope you understand my english, by Majo

Originally posted by shegiles
      Hello all.

Thanks for the replies about the positive results of your surgeries. Next question: I'm 33, single and live alone. Can you offer some advice on the amount of help I'll need to bring in post-op and how long I may need it? I understand that everyone's recovery is different, but I'd appreciate some ballpark numbers based on your experiences.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
        I know how much pain I suffered before my surgery.
        And therein lays my procrastination, Shari. I do not have much pain at all…certainly not the scope of what others are suffering from. The last time I missed a day of work because of back pain was two years ago. Yes, I have curtailed my social life somewhat because my back gets pretty fatigued by the time evenings roll around, and I take an occasional Advil for arthritic flare-ups; but I can live with that. When I read the posts here of people who have had to go on disability following this surgery or who have to take daily pain medications for the rest of their lives, and not to mention the nerve pain so many are experiencing, while I know that surgery can stabilize a spine, the reality is that it can also open up a whole new set of problems that weren’t there to begin with. And I think this is particularly true for those of us who are older and require the more extensive surgeries. I really think ongoing pain that prevents one from doing everyday activities should be the motivator for surgery, not the size of one’s curves. And as far as what a couple of doctors have told me I can expect if I don’t have surgery, well, I take it with a grain of salt. After all, doctors have been wrong plenty of times before. I sometimes think perhaps this is why Dr. Hammerberg would not come right out and tell me that I need surgery. He has seen that I am functioning quite well; and when I asked him if he would recommend surgery, he just said that’s a decision only I can make. In other words, only I can determine if my quality of life is compromised enough to warrant surgery. I would never ever do this solely for cosmetic reasons. Maybe 20 years ago I might have considered it, but certainly not now. My greatest fear about having this surgery is that I might regret it afterwards, and Dr. Hammerberg did warn me about this likelihood. Anyway, I guess for now I’m just taking a wait and see kind of approach to all of this. But if ever the time comes when I feel the timing is right for surgery, I just may call upon you.

Chris

Comment

Doing things for oneself post-op

I don't hesitate to recommend a post-op spine rehab because I received so much benefit. For example I was given and taught how to use dressing aids such as a device to put socks on and a special stick with attachments on both ends to help dress. I never in a million years would have dreamed up the ideas and help I got at rehab to become house ready. I was also taught how to get in and out of my own car, ideas to help with showering(I put a small plastic arm chair to sit in the shower), use of grabbers as well as help walking again while getting used to being taller.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

my recovery?....was 3 years ago so i'll try to remember...
            i was 17 years old....i was on pain meds for the first 5 days in the hospital and that was it!! i walked around the hospital 3 days post op and walked stairs on day 4...went home day 5. They gave me a "reacher" to grab stuff like...my pants! I couldn't pull up my own pants...that was the most difficult thing to do. And of course my mother tied my shoes for me hehe.
            It was difficult for about a week after I got home...but the ball got rolling VERY quickly. Let's just say I was "play wrestling" with a guy friend only 3 months post op
            One word of advise....don't push yourself too hard. Do goto your limits...but do NOT go further.
            Oh yea....the first week of being home...I couldn't turn my neck or move much side to side....couldn't hold a portable phone between my head and shoulders haha.

Comment

solution for cat box problem

Hi all! I wanted to share a solution I found for a small problem that had been causing me a lot of anxiety--cleaning out the cat box. I just couldn't feel ok with the thought of asking a friend to do this for the amount of time that it may require, nor could I accept that my little kitty would just have to live like an animal for a little while, so I looked for a self-cleaning box. After much research I settled on the Litter Robot. It's expensive at $300, but it works like a dream. Clean up means opening a drawer and removing a bag twice a month, in addition to adding a little litter every week. That's it. I fully recommend this indulgence for any cat owner getting this surgery with the proclivity to guilt that I have. I also got an automatic feeder to stop the 4 am wakies and the jumping on the back entailed therein.

Also, I set the date: October 3. That's crazy close, but I'm ready to get this going.

Holly
              Last edited by shegiles; 08-23-2007, 03:19 PM. Reason: oh, and also
              Age 33
              40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
              Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
              Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X