No announcement yet.

Need to hear the good things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a revision 5 years ago at age 60(2002)---and got my life back. I am still gainfully employed and spent 3 weeks last Spring doing day hikes in the Alps and Black Forest.
    I shudder when I see my old videos(2001); I looked so terrible deformed.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Many of you know I've been having major post-op problems with my leg, which has oveshadowed the benefits of surgery, in my mind. BUT -- just recently I've noticed that the swelling around my belly and torso has gone down a lot, and I have a really cute figure that I can't wait to show off with tight clothes. Also, my rib hump is gone, and the pain I used to have where my spine rotated -- in the middle of my back -- is gone too.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Like Chris, I am still suffering complications. HOWEVER, whenever I used to go out grocery shopping, etc. I would get this horrible pinching, sharp pain in my lower vertebrae, which is no longer there!!! Hallelujah! I'm confident that my complications and the post-op pain I am currently suffering will eventually go and one day I can write that I went hiking in the Alps too!

This is silly and unrelated, but my husband's new nickname for me is Ti22 (The chemical element abbreviation and number for titanium)! Anyone is free to use it. Afterall, we are the real bionic women/men!

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Chris,

I'm with you on that, I am wearing cloths that I wouldn't have ever dared to wear since I was in my late 20's to early 30's.

I never wore tight clothing and now I find myself buying cloths that show my body, and I sometimes wonder if I'm doing it because I couldn't do it before.

At my age I often wonder what people think about some of my clothing choices, I wonder if what I have choosen is to young looking for an older broad. But never having the opportunity to dress that way before, I'm not sure if my choices are in the best judgement, but I get lots of complements.

Shari

Comment

Chris - Congrats on the continuing improvement and the new cute figure - better hurry up and wear those tight clothes before winter arrives and you'll have to wear a bulky coat over them!

Shari - I think tight clothes are perfect for post-op women, especially us older broads, because of all those prime years spent wearing tents; as to what people might think about your tight clothes or your choices not in your best judgment - screw 'em

My idea of the perfect "I feel great post-op dress" - clingy black knit with a deep slash along the spine to show off the scars. Who needs jewelry?

Interestingly, as I approach my surgery date, I am not only continuing to give away a lot of my clothes but also am getting rid of home furnishings, "important" papers that ceased to be important 10 years ago, etc. I see this entire process as a second chance at everything!
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Janet--
              It's so good to hear that someone else has the same feeling of her life starting over in a way with the surgery. That has been true for me--so true that it makes the surgery more uncomfortable. I decided literally weeks before learning that surgery was even possible that I didn't want to finish my dissertation or be a professor. So simultaneously I've been prepping for a body change and getting rid of carloads of books and papers. It makes the prospect of the other side of the surgery even more of an unknown, since I don't have the familiar life to return to. But it has felt appropriate too--it's the right choice. And even though I know I shouldn't, I can't help but feel a little bit that I brought the scoliosis on myself, or progressed it anyway, in all those years of squelching myself--not being true to myself. Not doing the things I really wanted to do, but what I thought was attainable, realistic, safe.

Anyone else have those feelings about their scoliosis?

Holly
              Age 33
              40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
              Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
              Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

Holly-

I have sent you a private message- Lisa
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

6 years on...

hi i had my first op aged 14 which corrected me with rods and then a 2nd op to try and reduce the hump on my right side.

positives:
                  i grew an extra 2 inches*
                  no more back pain!
                  posture improved
                  more confidence

slight negatives: (sorry but i need to warn you)
                  the surgeon could only go so far with the 2nd op and although it did improve the appearance to a certain extent i feel i look twisted still (this is mainly in those damn changing rooms with the 3 mirrors, no-one else notices - or so they say!)
                  when i sit in a car or hard chair or lie on my back for too long then i get a bruised uncomfortable feeling at the bottom of my right shoulder blade where it was operated on.

however! these negatives could be entirely individual. i did have a 90 degree curve and according to one not-very-nice surgeon was 'very deformed'. but i have heard of and seen about many patients with really good results and the difference to their confidence must be amazing!

*i then shrank an inch but this may have been my fault for not doing my physio exercises and not concentrating on my posture

hope this helps a little x

Comment

Holly - I sent you a PM
                    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X