No announcement yet.

problem du jour -- queasiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lynn! My leg is still very weak but the nerve pain is settling down, and there are new sensations in it, so I believe it's trying to come back. I am still dragging around on the walker but am trying to stay positive that this will resolve in time.

Quite a lesson in patience!! Thanks for asking and for your good wishes.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Queasiness

Hi Chris,

You and I seem to be on about the same schedule. I'm about six weeks post op from my second stage (T6-S1). My stomach has been rolling since last week. Even the smell of food is obnoxious to me. Rice Crispies and skim milk and yogurt are about the only foods that are appealing. Some of my problem is probably related to abruptly stopping Lyrica while my insurance company took a week to make a decision on whether to refill it or not. They finally decided to approve Neurontin, but not before I think I experienced withdrawal symptoms from the Lyrica (fluctuations in body temp, inability to sleep, nausea, depression, lack of appetite, etc.). Based on that experience, I have decided not to take the Neurontin unless the nerve pain gets unbearable.

The combination of Oxycodone 12 mg twice a day and Dilaudid 4 mg twice a day have also probably contributed to my iffy stomach. The mere thought of weaning off that combination is enough to make me shudder. Like others, I am also taking Senna and Colace and have stopped taking vitamins and iron hoping my stomach will settle down.

Unfortunately, these side effects make it difficult to put on a happy face and celebrate the wonderful surgical outcome that was achieved. My presurgical pain and numbness are gone, my rib hump is GONE and I am three inches taller! My only regret is that I am not younger than my 57 years so I will have more time to enjoy this amazing outcome.

Hang in there!
      Linda W.
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hi Linda!

So happy to hear about your successful surgery! My stomach is much better since I cut down on the Oxycodone and stopped taking Senakot. I now take MiraLax a few times a week, which works great. Certain foods still really turn me off, but I love chocolate milk and peanut butter, oddly enough. Reverting back to childhood....?
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I just wanted to comment on the constipation thing. I've struggled with this since I was a little kid. I'm having surgery next summer so this really scares me. I take Experience (a herbal supplement) which keeps me regular when I remember to take it. Also, flax seed oil is great for this problem too. It tastes awful, but it works. I used it for another reason, but it helps with the other problem too. Cascara sagrada is also another herb that works well. It's a bit harsh, like senna, but it works.
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Linda W,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the drugs - it sounds like this is, unfortunately, a common problem post-op, and even worse than the surgery itself.

Congratulations of a great correction. Being 57 is NOT too late to show off your fabulous new back - while true that women in our age range are not likely to even consider a strapless dress (and I would have killed to be able to have done so when I was in college!), at least we can wear fitted dresses, blouses, swimsuits, and maybe even normal-looking bras.

I appreciate your posting your comments - they are a great reference for me in the upcoming months.
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

briarrose... on the constipation thing...

I have been on the generic Miralax since day after surgery, and the bottle of seneca I bought is still unopened ! I only pay $10.00 by prescription and the two huge bottles would cost $80.00 over the counter, BUT, you can get it over the counter if you have to- it does not cause you to cramp or have diarrhea. I also have had a very goofy gut, alternating constipation and diarrhea, but not with this stuff. Very nice and predictable...Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Glad to hear everything went well Chris. I haven't been on in a while. I remember going down in dosage and then switching. I went from percocet to vicotin to tylenol with codeine. I als had valium if I needed a little extra.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Hey Chris,

I haven't been on here in soooo long... so I'm sorry I haven't replied to anything lately! I wasn't nauseaus at all, but MANY people that I know who have taken oxy say that they had horrible reactions to it in that way.

I do remember that I had no appetite at all. I think snacking all day is a good idea, because the thought of all of those strong drugs on an empty stomach even sounds bad! I drank Ensure (the vanilla is very tasty!) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also ate cut up fresh fruit all day long. I couldn't even think about eating anything heavier. Eventually after a few weeks I'd eat a piece of grilled chicken for dinner... nothing too heavy.

I'd definitely advise you to be careful when weaning off and make sure you do it slowly and the right way! I stopped taking oxy and started vicodin overnight (I thought.. I'm still taking pain meds, it doesnt matter if it's much less potent).. well it did matter, and I had horrible withdrawal for 2 weeks! I agree, I don't know how anyone chooses to take this stuff for leisure!

Good luck and I hope you feel better...

Lesly

Comment

Working...
                  X