No announcement yet.

Appt at Shriner's in Phila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Lou, No I don't think that bending and twisting was an issue in my case, because I stuck to the rules for that first year pretty well. But I was comparing the movement I had (due to the slightly loose hardware) with that of bending and twisting. I think you want to restrict movement in that area for the 1st year as much as possible because the bone will solidify only if it isn't being shifted around all the time. I'm certainly not a doctor so I have no idea if that really affects anything or not but I did have two seperate sets of surgeons tell me that bending and twisting were the main things that I should avoid for almost an entire year. I was also 19 when I had the 1st surgery and I would imagine that the restrictions for older patients are more strict because your bone doesn't grow as well as a younger patient's.

I'm still not sure why Shriners decided to use hooks instead of screws. But as far as the hardware goes, my current surgeon said that they always leave a little bit of flexibility within the rods because your spine needs that. He even told me that they allow for about a 10% curve progression after the surgery once your back adjusts to all the new hardware. I had no idea that my curve could get WORSE after the first surgery. But he said that's normal (as long as it's within 10% of the correction). But in my case he thinks there might have been just a little too much flexibility, just enough for the bone to have been moving too frequently to heal. It's all very confusing and frustrating but now that I'm older and more knowledgeable about this surgery, I ask a lot of questions! I think that they still have a LONG way to go with scholiosis research though.
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Hooks VS screws

Just a quick note on this subject. When my Dr. was talking about what hardware he was going to be using he did mention that if I had a small pedicle anywhere my fusion was going to be they would have to use a hook instead of a screw in that area. I asked if one or the other would hold better and he said no, just that a screw would be too big. On my x-ray it looked like I had a some small ones. I ended up with screws in all pedicles in the end.

Comment

Suzy,

That is exactly why my daughter doesn't have any screws--her pedicles are too small.

Sarah,

The more I learn about Scoliosis, the more confusing it gets! I know every person and every doctor is different, but it still amazes me how the restrictions for young people vary so greatly. Until now, my daughter was the only person I knew of who didn't have screws and had a recent surgery.

Sorry if it sounded like I was doubting you or giving you a hard time. Like you, I'm always learning. Good luck.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou,

Not at all, hope I didn't sound like I was doubting you either. I think the restrictions for younger patients must be less strict. It's so unbelievable to me how scholiosis has been a documented health issue for hundreds of years and yet doctors still don't seem to agree on the proper treatment. To an extent they do but so many people seem to need revisions. It's frustrating but I am thankful for the surgeons who devote their lives and time to such a complicated surgery. I can't imagine how hard it must be to get to the level of being able to do surgery on someone's spine!

Good luck to all of you!
          { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
          One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
          March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Working...
          X