No announcement yet.

Surgery Recommended Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to an amusement / water park last summer and every ride had a sign that was posted that no back problems, certain surgeries, etc.

I paid full price to get in, but couldn't ride on anything. But I still had a great time watching. I wondered afterwards if I could have gotten a discounted rate because I was unable to ride anything?

I can't wait to go again this summer!!!

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
      I've never been on El Toro. I'll have to before I have the surgery done! I'm going to Dorney Park next week.

My asthma was horrible as a kid. I was in and out of the hospital all the time until I was 10. I've been close to going to the hospital in the past few years, but thank goodness for prednisone. It never occurred to me that the prednisone could have caused my curve to worsen. How many days are you usually on it? My doctor usually puts me on for 14 days starting at 50mg, but I'm bad and cut back the dosage and days. Too bad prednisone is bad for you. I always feel so great on it.

As Janet said, I've heard a lot of great things about Dr. Boachie. My aunt had surgery done by Dr. Albert at the Rothman Institute in Philly. She really liked him and thinks he's an excellent surgeon. I'm seeing Dr. Fras at the University of Pennsylvania. He's really nice and seems to like to talk with his patients. He said he can get me really straight, probably less than 10 degrees. Those are the only doctors I know of in the Philly/NYC area. I saw a doctor in Hershey, but that's probably too far for you.

Anterior really scares me too. I didn't ask my doctor whether it would be anterior or posterior. I'm hoping posterior. I'll have to ask him when I go back in December.

Where do you go to college? What's your major?

Shell
      wow yeah, I was pretty much in/out of the hospital untill I was around that age too.

Yes, everyone tellss me dr. boachie is good too...but he is too expensive for me currently. I don't have that kind of money to put up front unfortunately.

Philidelphia is not too far. My mom wants me to get it done at a well respected place so distance is not an issue at all. Plus, my aunt lives in philidelphia and she said she would help us look for some places. I'll look into the place you mentioned.

My major is social science, but I'm currently hating it. ha. I'm only at a county college right now, I have six more classes and then I have to transfer somewhere else. So I'm hoping I will get my surgery soon, and then be able to finish my education peacefully.

And yeah, prednisone is horrible for your bones. It softens them. I was on it for like a year straight when I was really little and my mother had to sign a release form that stated that she knew that the prednisone could soften my bones and eventually leave me with many bone diseases/osteoporosis/etc.

When I'm prescribed pred now, I usually only take the first two days doses, and then stop. It's so strong even such a small amount helps me.

Comment

briarrose,

i am 25 as well and had surgery on january 3rd this year. my curve was 45 degrees and i am very happy that i got this over with. because i am still young, and kidless, and knowing that it would only get worse, i feel like i made the right decision.
        i thought about this for a few years, saw a few different surgeons and i did not take the decision lightly.
        i do not regret having the surgery at all.
        feel free to pm me if you have any questions... i'll be more than happy to offer any advice that i can!

best of luck,
        lesly

Comment

Originally posted by treacherous
          wow yeah, I was pretty much in/out of the hospital untill I was around that age too.

Yes, everyone tellss me dr. boachie is good too...but he is too expensive for me currently. I don't have that kind of money to put up front unfortunately.

Philidelphia is not too far. My mom wants me to get it done at a well respected place so distance is not an issue at all. Plus, my aunt lives in philidelphia and she said she would help us look for some places. I'll look into the place you mentioned.

My major is social science, but I'm currently hating it. ha. I'm only at a county college right now, I have six more classes and then I have to transfer somewhere else. So I'm hoping I will get my surgery soon, and then be able to finish my education peacefully.

And yeah, prednisone is horrible for your bones. It softens them. I was on it for like a year straight when I was really little and my mother had to sign a release form that stated that she knew that the prednisone could soften my bones and eventually leave me with many bone diseases/osteoporosis/etc.

When I'm prescribed pred now, I usually only take the first two days doses, and then stop. It's so strong even such a small amount helps me.
          Did you end up finding a doctor? I hope you can find one that you like. I went to four different doctors until I finally found one I liked and who took me seriously.

I went to a community college for awhile too. Do you think you'll change your major? I'm a double major in chemistry and biochemistry. I'll graduate in May of 2009. It was supposed to be December of 2008 but since I have to get surgery, I decided to move everything back and take fewer classes after my surgery.

That info on prednisone is scary stuff! No wonder my back keeps getting worse! Hopefully I won't have to go on it from now until my surgery, but that probably won't be the case. I usually need it in October and/or February.
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by Lesly
            briarrose,

i am 25 as well and had surgery on january 3rd this year. my curve was 45 degrees and i am very happy that i got this over with. because i am still young, and kidless, and knowing that it would only get worse, i feel like i made the right decision.
            i thought about this for a few years, saw a few different surgeons and i did not take the decision lightly.
            i do not regret having the surgery at all.
            feel free to pm me if you have any questions... i'll be more than happy to offer any advice that i can!

best of luck,
            lesly
            Hi Lesly

Thanks for your encouraging response. How soon were you able to go back to work? I actually do have a bunch of questions. I'll pm you.

Thanks!
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment