Fusion to the sacrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fused T9 to sacrum

I am now 6 months post-op and fused from T-9 to sacrum. As I have healed I find that my flexibility gets better all the time. It has not been a big problem. Of course in the beginning I couldn't shave my legs or put on socks and shoes but that is now in the past. Since I fell and broke my hip in Feb I have had more problems with that than my back surgery. The pain prior to surgery is completely gone and I am so happy I did this. If I have gotten results this good at age 63 then those of you who are younger will do great. Of course I give all the credit to my doctor Alexis Shelokov.
    Linda G.

Comment

KI Jane

It was good to read all the comment about what is and is not possible with a long fusion. Of course everyone is different, but it would be so helpful to me to know what is likely to be possible at the end of a year and what I should not be hoping for. It affects my planning ( I am an inveterate planner.)

Both the doctors I saw strongly recommended the long fusion, but I am at an advanced age.

Comment

Linda G, you give me hope to be able to do more as I heal!
        I am just over 2 months post op, fused to the sacrum, and can only reach to my knees without worrying that I'm going to pull something wrong, etc. So my husband puts mositure cream on my legs and bought an electric shaver to shave them for me, and my daughter cut my toenails. But, I hate not being able to do those things for myself! And at the hairdresser, I was thinking of having her put on my color and then going home to rinse it out since there is no way I can bend back to have that done.
        When will I be comfy reclining or sitting for a long car or plane ride!?

Here's hoping I'll be able to do more and more as time goes on!

PS Linda, did you wear a brace, and if you did, for how long?
        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Bertha,

It does get better!!! I started getting pedicures after my first A/P surgery. It was a little uncomfortable in the chairs at first but the ladies would put padding behind my back to help me out. That's one little bit of pampering that you need to do for yourself.

I flew for the first time at 4 months post op. It was about a 3 hour flight. I had the flight attendant get me a handful of the little pillows to tuck in different places.

On the car trips we started off with just an hour to two hour trip. Of course, again pillows, and recline the seat. That was about 3 months.

I also switch to an electric razor right after surgery for a few months. I find it's a little easier to put your foot on something (not to high) and to shave sitting down. My husband would get the ankle area.

Sometimes it's better to look at want to can now do versus what you were doing a few weeks ago. I know when I kept looking ahead it seemed so far away!!! That was pretty depressing, it seemed like time didn't move at all. That's when my family got me to switch it around and say, "WOW, I couldn't do this last week."

Try to take it one day at a time. I know it's hard!!!! This is my third recovery period and I am really hoping it's the last!!!!!
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa, boy you have been thru the mill! Is a pedicle substraction osteotomy where they take out a screw? How did you know when that was needed? Did you have a certain type of pain?
            You have such a positive attitude for having to have gone thru so many surgeries! And you are even fused further than me and you can do so much, so I DO have hope. Thanks! And looking at it from "how much more I can do now" attitude is so great.
            (it's Berta, short for Roberta, not Bertha!)
            PS did you wear a brace?
            Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Berta,

Sorry about the wrong name!!!! A pedicle subtraction ostertomy is where they cut the pedicles off of both sides of the vertabra and cut a v shaped wedge of bone out of your spine. Kinda like cutting down a tree. This last time the wedge was thicker on one side that the other to also try to derotate me some more. Here is a link to describe the different osteotomies. You know when your balance is off. You end up having flatback, that's where you cannot stand up straight without your knees being in a bent position. I was trying to find a picture.

No, I don't wear a brace. My doctor's say that sometimes it hinders your recovery. They want me to use and rebuild my back muscles. I had alot of muscle atrophy due to being curved for so many years.

I knew from the first surgery that something just didn't seem right. I used a walker for about 4 months, then a cane for the rest of the year. When the first osteotomy was done in June 05 I felt better. But you could tell my balance was still off somewhere. It wasn't alot. My doctor was hoping it was due to muscle imbalance and in June 06 I started strengthening PT for about 7 months. It didn't help and I was getting worse.

This time, I look straight from the side. My legs are in a straight line with my head. I feel upright!!!!

Today is 2 weeks from the surgery!!!! I can't believe that only last Monday we were trying to drive home from Amarillo to Houston. It's a 9 hour trip. We did it in two 4 1/2 hour days.

Last night I cooked dinner! My husband was cleaning the carpets and we had some leftover roasted chicken from the grocery store. I had him get me a pot out, I cooked up some rice, put in the chicken with some cream of chicken soup, some celery, onion, and pepper and put it in the oven with some cheese on top. It felt good doing that. I am alot slower at doing things, like instead of 30 minutes it took be about 60 minutes to prepare because I stop and take little sit down breaks.

I also try to stay out of my bed during the day, with the first surgery I used my bed all the time for rests and eventually got to the point that when it was bedtime your body was only thinking it was going for a rest. Now I rest in my son's room and keep mine only for sleeping. In order to get through this, you need to make sure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep at night. If you are having any troubles with that, let your doctor know and they can give you a mild sleeping pill to get you back in the routine.

We are hoping that this is the last surgery so we can continue our plans to go to Hawaii. We were suppose to go on our 25th anniversary but weren't able to. We are now coming up on our 32nd anniversary and were still shooting for it. Maybe one day we can meet over there.
              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,
                Thanks for all the info. That explains a lot to me. I am lucky so far that my balance is good. At first, when I stood up straight, it felt like my butt was sticking out too far, but my surgeon said that it just FELT like that since I was not use to a correct posture. Now it feels right. He had said I was balanced with my head directly over my body, and my hips were level, etc. (he was pleased with "his work", you could tell) I'm sure we had different issues, since I had a larger curve and rotation at the lumbar area and less thoracic.
                For some reason my surgeon wanted me to wear a brace for 3 months or so, to keep me from twisting or bending during the initial healing time. It's very hot to wear here in Hawaii, and I can' wait to start my weaning time. I guess he will let me know after my next x-rays in a couple of weeks.

Yes, please look me up in Hawaii if you get to the Kona side of the Big Island! It would be great to meet up and compare notes. Hope you continue to heal in a good way, and I'm glad they finally got it right!

Take care! Berta
                Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Bertha

Just don't get overanxious on what you can do. I was able to start shaving my legs at about 4 months, put on and tie my shoes at about 5 months, pantihose about 5 months. As for riding in the car since I broke my hip at only two months out of back surgery it has taken me a long time to be able to ride comfortably for any distance. I have not gone further than my doctor's office which is about 15-20 miles from where I live. I sit mostly in straight back chairs as I find them much more comfortable that the recliners. It may seem like all of this takes a long time but each little thing is a BIG victory. Getting out of my brace was scary but also wonderful. That was at about 4 months. I had 6 disc replaced so I will be wearing my bone growth stimulator 4 hours/day until Sept. No biggie on that. I still get tired and can't go quite as long as I use to but I am sure my energy levels will improve as I continue to wean off the pain meds and build my walking distance up to three miles per day. As for housework, I can do the laundry, make the bed, cook meals etc. Things like scrubbing the bath and vaccumming the floors are still my husbands job. All in all I believe I am doing just great and I love my new straight look. Attitude is critical also. For me prayer was a big part of it all. If you go into this knowing that it is not an overnight fix then you will do fine.
                  Linda G.

Comment

Berta,

I agree with Linda G. Don't worry too much about what you can and can't do. I find that it isn't so much that I can't do things, it's just that I have to new ways to do them.

There was an old thread on haircoloring. A bunch of us, ahem, enhance our hair color from time to time. I found it was easiest to do my own coloring at home for the first few months after surgery and rinse it off in the shower. That way there's no bending or reclining to worry about. Also, I feel naked without polish on my toes. My mom did mine for me for the first few months. I am able to do my own now although, like I mentioned earlier, I had to find a new way to do it. I sit on the edge of the toilet and prop my foot up on a stool. Works great for me!
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hello everybody, well im in the works of prob. getting a fusion from T11 to sacrum, im a bit scared of the limitations it will prob. give me... but reading all this gives me hope and pushes me more to do it... I was wondering what prob. are there while getting up from bed can you sit up like u normally would or is it tougher? .... The dr. was telling me that due to the curve and how rigid my spine is there will not be too much correction so that really disappoints me.. and he also tells me that there is no guarantee that my back pain would go or that i can get better so all that makes me think.. if i should do it or not? did anyone have this same prob. and at the end go for the surgery?

ur help is greatly apreciated

thank
                      Ivan
                      right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

Hi Ivan,

When I was reading back on my first pre-op papers the doctor said my spine was pretty rigid and that I would not get much correction, only a holding correction. Once he got in there, he found my spine pretty flexible!!! You just never know until they get in there.

Getting up out of bed is different for me. I used to just sit up then get out. I now log roll to get out of bed. You roll to your side and as you swing your legs down you raise your upper half to a sitting position on the side of the bed.

Also, the doctor's can't gaurantee anything really. You could be trading one kind of pain for another. But on the other hand, you could be like alot of people on here and be pain free. So far, I am not one of the lucky ones. I am hoping as I get over this surgery that my pain will be less.
                        Last edited by Theresa; 06-09-2007, 06:38 PM.
                        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks Theresa for your reply, i can imagine that it takes a while to get use to but hopefully all that pain that u talk about gets better too so did u gain any height too? or is ur figure diffrent than before too?
                          right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

This surgery I actually did gain about an inch back in height!!!! Yes, my figure is different. With flatback your bottom is kind of tucked under. I now have a rounded bottom again. As your swelling goes down you will find that your clothes will probably fit different. A lot of my tops were to big after the surgery. I use to get them a little bigger because of the rib hump on the back. I didn't wear anything that was fitted because of it. Now I do!!!
                            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                            X