No announcement yet.

Living alone - surgery soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more thoughts: Joan's comments "set your house up to ensure independence" and "there is not much to do but rest and take care of your bare essential needs" are right on. And a positive attitude can go a long way toward moving you toward independence. You must be cautious, of course. You should have someone there until you are able to test out your reaction to medications and how much mobility you are comfortable with. I have to rein in my Aries tendency to go full forward, head down, and take things slowly and with deliberation. Before my first surgery I was even expecting to go up and down the stairs on my butt like a toddler if necessary (not necessary). I too had occupational therapy before I left the hospital to practice going up and down the stairs.

And it IS pleasantly surprising to find out how willing people are to help. A friend who lives very close by and works at home offered to take my house key and be my "emergency" caller if I need a prescription picked up, some groceries, backup for my family, etc. She can be at my place a lot quicker than anyone else. For Christmas following my first surgery, I made pillar candles for everyone who helped me out with the saying "We are each of us angels with only one wing. To fly we need only embrace each other." Saying thanks is important too.

Heading into my third surgery, I am giving myself permission to sleep, watch TV, and read as much as I want, activities I'm usually too busy for otherwise. Somehow this helps me to mentally accept the limitations I will have for awhile.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
    X