BMP-Any known problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brynn,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I do not know Dr. Boachie's reasoning - I didn't even think to raise the question when I was evaluated.

After reading Forum posts for 3 years, and having consulted with 3 surgeons during that time, I have come to the conclusion that, because there are so many differences among the surgeons as to what to fuse (P-only or A/P incisions, what materials to use, etc. etc.) as well as so many differences among patients (age, type & degree of curves, bone density, other physical conditions, etc.), the only important thing for me is, do I trust my surgeon?

You have indicated in a number of posts that you trust your surgeon and have confidence in him. Personally, I tend to investigate and analyze and re-think whenever I do something of importance, whether it be spine surgery or renovating my bathroom, but I do eventually reach that "moment of truth" when I know in my gut what the right decision is for me.

I know you are making the right choice for you, and I wish you the best. Your big day is coming up very soon, and my thoughts will be with you.

Feel free to contact me - perhaps I will be able to answer a question

Best,

Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I don't know too much about surgical techniques because I'm trying to avoid it at all costs however has anyone seen this article? They discuss BMP and from I can tell, it's still in the experimental stages. The info is under the heading: What's New in Biologic Topics Related to the Spine

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/reprint/88/...urcetype=HWCIT

Last edited by Celia; 05-04-2007, 04:07 PM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Dear Janet,

Thanks for your kind and insightful words. I, too, am the kind of person who feels the need to research and analyze before making a decision. You may have seen that if you've been reading my posts. This week I'm realizing that I'm at the point where I need to let go and trust that the decisions I've made are the right ones. I love this Forum, and can't stay away from it at this point in my life, but I can't let myself get too distracted by trying to out think and even out research my surgeons. I have called Dr. Akbarnia's office so many times with questions, most often coming from info I've learned on the Forum, and each time they've said just the right things to make me feel better. I realize, too, that they are being genuine with me. They aren't simply telling me what I want to hear. So I'm feeling more ready than ever for my upcoming surgery. It's so true that every surgeon has his/her own perspective and approach. I'm sure there are things to be said for each approach. So thanks very much for your input and offer to answer my questions.

Celia:
        My Adobe isn't working right now but when I get it fixed I'll at least check out the article. Thanks.

Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn

Thanks for posting, I'm glad you found the right answers. I need to call Dr. Lenke's office and start asking questions too. Maybe he'll give me the reassurance I need, if not, I'll just ask him not to use it. We still have some time. I'll post here again if I find out anything new.

Celia
          Thanks for that link, it definitely appears to be investigational, especially in pediatric patients. I'm pretty sure it's not been approved by the FDA for pediatric use, although from everything I've read, it appears to be safe if used in the right hands. By the way, I'm very happy for you and your daughter, I hope you have continued success with the Spinecor.

Comment

Dear Sherie,

I think it's great that you're going to speak to your surgeon! Please let us know what he says and what you decide to do.

Take care,

Brynn

Comment

Sherie,

Dr. Lenke is supposed to be a very good surgeon! Thanks for the well wishes!!!! So far we're doing okay and it may be premature to worry but it's the adolescent growth spurt that has me a little worried but who knows, maybe we'll have this conquered by then.

Brynn,

If you don't have pdf, you can download it for free here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Last edited by Celia; 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

MY fusion was anterior with a cage and using donor bone and BMP. My understanding is only a few mls are used to speed up the fusion process. I showed good fusion started already by the 3 month X ray.
                At $6000 for the tiny amount used on me, I would imagine it's used quite sparingly. Insurance would never pay for it otherwise.
                Funnily, I wasn't concerned about the BMP till I read this post, I was more interested in knowing how the cadaver bone was treated.
                When it comes to our children of course we don't want to make any wrong decision regarding their health and treatment. Trust your instinct.

Comment

Working...
                X