I really CAN do this, right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

I can't imagine what you are feeling right now, but I'm sure I'll know in a couple of months when I'm going through my preop.

You will be my inspiration! I know you will be okay.

Btw - I got that packet of info from Dr. Boachie's office on my first appointment. I was quite shocked on the sex part. I showed my husband and we had a giggle over it!
    MishP
    38 y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
    Brace off at age 12
    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
    Pre-op
    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Fused T2-L3
    Not sure of post-op correction

Comment

Berta - in Hawaii?

Are you back in Hawaii? If so, how did you do on the plane? Been thinking about you as everytime I fly I suffer for a few days after for sitting so straight in those seats. I can't imagine someone just having surgery having to do the same. Hope it wasn't too uncomfortable. All the best, LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Yes! We got home to Hawaii late Monday night and the whole day was an exhausting challenge! Not only the flight, but the drive from Novato to the SF airport, the waiting, security, etc. etc. It was not easy, but I made it! The United 1st class was not great, and unless I lay flat, any recline is useless. I did a lot of sitting straight, standing, walking, but was almost going crazy until my husband found 3 seats in a row empty in coach that I laid down (with pillows) for a little bit of time towards the end. Getting to the airport, I laid down on the back seat on pillows with my knees up! What a day!
        Thanks for thinking of me! Being home is the best, so it was worth it.
        Today, I am 5 weeks post op and thinking......ok.......when do I start feeling really better!? I know each day I AM a little better, but it's so hard to be patient, and when you have 2 more months in a brace.... but still, I'm SO GLAD I did it and it's over and now it's just time and healing!
        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

"There's no place like home"

So glad to hear you're safe and sound. The past five weeks probably feel like five months but if you think about what your body went through and where you are today, you really have come a long way. Take care of yourself and keep posting....Regards, LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Air travel post-op ??

Other than Berta, does anyone have experience flying home post-op on a 5+ hour flight?

(Berta - glad to hear that you are back home, but sorry to hear that you couldn't get very comfortable despite having 1st class seats. What a long time to be stuck in the plane.)

Only Jet Blue flies non-stop from JFK to Oakland, but they do not offer 1st or business class seats. United and American do have 1st class seats, but I would have to connect somewhere if I want to fly into Oakland, or I can fly non-stop to SFO, which for me entails a much longer ride home. Do you think it would be better to do the connecting flight, where I could walk around the terminal a bit in between 2 - 3 hour flights, or just face up to a 5+ hour nonstop? (I will have an adult travelling with me)
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Berta,

Wow, I only had a 3 hour drive, I'm in awe that you made a lengthy flight!!!

You have to have a wonderful husband to make the effort to make you comfortable!!!!

Recovery can be rough, but try and remember all the things that your loved one's have gone through, and done for you during that time. I found myself getting frustrated after my surgery and even felt like a bourden to them. I got very depressed, and that can be normal.

I think it's so easy for us to get impatient with all that is involved in the healing process, does anyone ever really address it completely???

Just know that if you have to vent or whatever, we're all here for you!!! We understand what you going through. My family was there for me, but I never felt like they knew what I was going through.

Shari

Comment

You'll do fine, Chris. The pre-op anxiety is much worse than the actual procedure or recovery. You've got all the things you need to get through this...a caring spouse, a supportive family, a competent doctor, and us! You won't be facing anything alone.
                Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
                Thoracolumbar Curve
                Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
                Thoracic Curve
                Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Comment

Janet:
                  I have not had to fly immediately post-op, but here's an opinion. I traveled extensively for my job for the past 20 years, and not only lived in San Francisco for a few years but have visited there many times since. I have never been totally without back pain so air travel has been a challenge for me for almost all of those years. I totally appreciate the commute from SFO to Oakland (talk about traffic!!!). However, if I were facing your decision, I think I would opt for the 5-hour flight and a car trip from SFO. As Berta mentioned, the trip is going to exhaust you in any case. When you consider a connecting flight and the time it takes for the plane to land, taxi to the gate, exit the plane, get to the next gate, wait to board the plane again, taxi, and takeoff, I'm tired just thinking about it. I would be willing to bet you can get from SFO to Oakland quicker than that. I doubt you are going to feel much like walking around the terminal. For the amount of time you feel like you need to move around, you can do that on the plane. Take extra pillows with you to make yourself as comfortable as possible. And be sure to swallow your pride and arrange for a wheelchair to and from the gate. Good luck, and say hello to my heart in San Francisco!
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Janet,

Why on earth would you put yourself through the agony of a cross-country flight following this surgery when you have some of the best surgeons right at your doorstep?

According to what I was told by a top-rate surgeon in Chicago, some of the best surgeons in the world are right there in San Francisco, in particular those associated with David Bradford.

In Berta's case, she had no choice but to come to the mainland.

I spoke to a woman from Chicago who in an effort to find the best doctor wrote to Dr. David Bradford. He responded to her saying that while he is retired, he encouraged her to come to San Fran to consult with one of his colleages. But because of the distance factor, she ultimately had her surgery by Dr. Bridwell.

Just curious.

Chris

Comment

trulyaries - thanks for the supportive comments. Your breakdown of all the tasks to be done when changing planes was enough to convince me to keep it simple and use SFO. If traffic is nuts going across the Bay Bridge, which it always was even before the McArthur interchange collapse a week ago, then we could use the San Mateo bridge instead.
                      I just spoke with Cathie in Atlanta, who had a shorter trip home from NYC than I will have; she assured me that, in the greater scheme of things, being uncomfortable for 1 day of flying was not worth stressing out - I'll take my
                      meds beforehand and plan to get up and walk as much as possible (maybe one can have unlimited drinks in First Class )

Janet
                      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X