No announcement yet.

Has anyone had this done during surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I understand, they just lighten the amount of anesthesia that you are being given so you're not really awake, your mind is just aware enough to be able to hear the doctors and respond to their request to move a bit. When they are done with the test, they give you the full amount of anesthesia again and you go back to being fully under.

Comment

i think dr's either do the wake up test or they use electrodes to moniter nerve function during surgery... my surgeon uses electrodes but i'm sure either is just fine...
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

On the operative note that my surgeon gave me, it said that after the operation, I was "awaken" and then relocated to the recovery room...

So, yeah, I guess my surgeon did the "wake up" test on me, too, but I do not remember a thing at all!

To this day... I have people who visited me after the operation laugh and tell stories of how I reacted while I was hospitalized. According to them, I said a lot of hilarious stuff or stuff that did not make ANY sense, was dozing in and out of sleep in the middle of conversations, etc. I was very incoherent, but all and all, we can look back and laugh about it now...
        Sandy
        23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
        Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
        65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
        Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
        Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

I was never told about it by my doctor, I only read about it. I'm not sure when my operation is though. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic
          2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Working...
          X