Success stories YEARS after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilates equipment

I would not recommend using pilates apparatus for anyone who has had a spinal fusion. I tried it and it was scary.
    shelly

I do use Pilates equipment and have a reformer at home AND I am fused T-4 to sacrum.

The difference here is that I work individually with a certified Pilates instructor who worked with me before my revision 4 1/2 years ago.
    She has modified many exercises around my limitations(of coarse I cannot "roll like a ball") and I have greatly benefitted from it. We do a lot of hip strengthening, shoulder work as well as strengthening my abdomen isometrically. Under no circumstances would I do this at a gym or try tapes.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Fight Tricare

Dr. Shelokov did my surgery and took Tricare for me... at that time, they weren't in the habit of accepting it. I begged and he called me that night. I just had to prove that no one in SA did this. IT IS IMPORTANT TO CLARIFY W/ TRICARE THAT MOST SCOLI DOCS DON'T "DO" ADULTS (esp. in the case of kyphosis which I had).

Dr. Shelokov's staff will help you. I didn't have to worry about anything. In fact, at that time, Baylor Plano told me the day before that they wouldn't take Tricare and I'd have to go to another hospital. Doc Shelokov jumped on them: he was madder than we were! He got them to back peddle and I never saw a single bill. He says he does enough surgeries there for them to accommodate ALL of his patients. I fell in love with him then and there!!! ;-)

Another point to mention: you might want to switch to tricare standard if you aren't the actual active military member. There is a VERY small co-pay and the catastrophic cap is only 1K. The reason is that you don't EVER need referrals. I just spent 2 hours in their offices this week and that is what I learned and switched to standard myself. That way, I can go back to Shelokov for any revisions I might need.
      Email me w/ any other questions.
      Diane
      Last edited by dianebetts; 04-07-2007, 01:27 AM.
      Diane
      39 y.o. female
      Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
      Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
      Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
      braced as an adolescent

Comment

Hi Karen,

I certainly respect your opinion concerning pilates. I tried a private lesson with one of the pilates instructors at my gym. My problem with the pilates equipment that I tried was that I felt as if the machines were trying to further straighten my already fused spine. As a result, this made me feel like the fusion and instrumentation were going to crack (even if this fear was unfounded). I found myself trying to compensate by using every available muscle to offset the straightening pressure on my spine. That is why I said that pilates were scary. Also, I had no experience with pilates prior to my surgery.
        I find that I am more comfortable working with a trainer at the gym. We have developed a program of cardio, resistance, balance and stretching exercises.
        We are all working toward the same goals. Each person needs to find the best way to achieve them.

Shelley

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Where abouts in Texas are you? I'm in Houston. I will be having a revision surgery with Dr. LaGrone on May 21st. I had an appointment with him this past December and my husband and I really felt comfortable with him. How's it going with your insurance? I remember when my husband was in the service and we had to use "Champus" insurance when I had my daughter because they didn't have an Ob doctor on base at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. We worried the whole time not really knowing what to expect from them.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I am a clinical exercise physiologist and since one year post-op, 8 years ago, I went back to lifting heavy weights without a problem. My doctor told me to do anything that I wanted to so I have. I just don't do somersaults and cartwheels !

Comment

Hi Dalmatica,

I was wondering whether you could clarify "lifting heavy weights?" Do you do a traditional bench press or do you use free weights or a bicep bar for bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. Also, everyone's idea of heavy is vastly different. How much weight are you talking about? I suspect you will be an inspiration to us all.

Shelley

Comment

Hi!
                I'm Theresa, I had my surgery in 1983 at the age of 13. They tried to use the milwalkie brace for 2 years, but my spine kept getting progressively worse. I dont remember many details about the surgery except that was pretty much the only choice we had at the time. My spine was like an "S" and they used the Harrington Rod. It is fused to my spine. I know my scar is from my shoulder blades down to just above the tail bone. They did a bone graft from my right hip to help. I still have a 15% curve, but considering what it was, that is pretty darn good. My surgeon was Dr. Tupper in Seattle, WA. I am happily married and have had 3 children since. I never had any pain until after my last was born. Now I get lower back pain every once in awhile. It has not stopped me in doing anything that I have wanted to do. I was able to pass the physical for a volunteer fire department. I was a certified scuba diver. I know I have probably drifted from where the original post was going, but there are some of us out there, (as before mentioned) who haven't had any or much pain. There were times where it was hard to deal with, but thinking back to it all and considering the what if's, I wouldn't change the decisions that were made.

Comment

Well, first off I ride the stationary bike for around 90 minutes or until I hit 600 calories, whichever comes first. The only way I can do this is with good reading material. I wouldn't last five minutes because of boredom even with the TV on if not for reading. Then I do bicep curls (20lb dumbbells at the moment), military press with dumbells at 17 lbs or I'll switch to uprite rows or lateral raises. I do either wide grip pull downs at 125lbs or bent-over db rows for my back. I'll either bench or do peck-deck for chest, tricep pushdowns or french curls for tri's, shrugs at 150 lbs, used to be heavier but since my rods are broke, I backed off. Some days I do stiff-leg dead lifts with 10lbs for my low back and to stretch my hamstrings. Usually I only do one set since this is a maintainance program. If I were building muscle, I would do multiple sets and a split routine. I did all this before my surgery and more of it. Afterward, I stretch for about 10 minutes. My doctor knows all about this and it has kept me in great shape. Remember, I had my first baby 17 months ago today, just one month shy of my 47th birthday.

I don't usually pity myself, but lately with the news of the broken rods, I have been down. I'm getting them fixed on the 30th and that will put the kabosh on lifting for several months but I do plan on getting back on the bike, asap.

It's all mental folks. I live with daily pain and some days lots of it but I promised myself a long time ago that I am responsible for my health and I plan on making the most of it.
                  Last edited by dalmatica; 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X