No announcement yet.

Airports and X-rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw a TV news report that something called a "backscatter x-ray" is being used at Phoenix airport. It provides "see-thru security" such that the body's outline is displayed on a screen, and metal objects such as knives, guns (and spinal rods & screws!) are displayed. Presently, being screened by this device is optional at Phoenix. There are objections re right to privacy being raised. The image I saw presented an outline and no details of anatomy - an earlier version was way too up close & personal.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I've had Harrington rods for the past 40 years and never had a problem with an airport metal detector. In the past two weeks we flew round trip from Newark to Tel Aviv and I did not have any problem with security.

Shelley

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

I will look forward to some possible fun times at the airport.

Dave, if you are still reading this thread, Dr. Von Rueden was my surgeon and he let me borrow your book. He is very proud that you selected him after your second opinion and research.

I am five months post op. I need to return the book to him. It was so helpful.

Joan

Comment

Airport

Just to add an airport story.

When I was wearing my TLSO, I traveled to Europe. I was pulled aside, because you could tell that there was something under my shirt. I got the wand. The security officer knocked on my brace with the wand and started asking questions. I guess he believed that I had had back surgery and let me pass. I carried a card at the time--just in case, but didn't need it.

My surgeon told me that if the card and the explanation didn't work, they may make me go into a room and show off my scars.

Comment

I have traveled quite a bit in the past 12 years and it wasn't until after my surgery that I began setting off the walk-through metal detectors. When the security guards use the wand, it beeps down the entire length of my back. I got a note from my Dr. and have shown part of my scar but neither did any good. I get pulled aside for additional screening everytime. I've just made it part of my routine now and always allow time for the extra screening.

The only airport that I've been through since surgery where I did not set off the walk-through detector was in Shannon, Ireland.

Comment

Airport security - trip to NYC

I purchased a rigid plastic artist's portfolio to carry my x-rays. At Oakland airport I handed the portfolio to the TSA and asked to not put it through the machine - and that was that - he just hand carried it and gave it back to me where you pick up your shoes, etc. However, at JFK, the TSA gave the portfolio to another TSA, who took it to another area and patted down the portfolio (which was flat), then removed each folder (I was carrying 8 year's worth of x-rays) and looked inside each one at each x-ray. Fortunately I had allowed plenty of time to board my flight.

ALSO, if you fly in/out JFK, there could some unannounced gate changes. Jet Blue is renovating its domestic terminal at JFK and some flights depart from another terminal, so I had to go down a ramp to the tarmac, board a mini-bus, get driven to a different terminal and walk up a ramp to the actual departure gate; this took another 10 - 15 minutes. We were not aware of this when we checked in, and only when we got to our gate at the very end of the concourse did we learn about the bus transfer.
              As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I am planning a trip to Germany this summer and I will be departing from JFK in NY... I asked my surgeon about the Harrington rods in my back, and he said that I may set off metal detectors... Even he had his knee replaced and has to go through with the process all the time. Anyways... He told me that they no longer issue cards... I insisted for documentation and he said the next best thing is an operative note which details the procedure of the surgery (which is basically the doctor's notes on what he did during the operation).

Well... I guess I will be carrying a couple of sheets of paper and my surgeon's business card! I hope all goes well at the airport and will not be delayed...

Good luck to everyone else on travel.
                Sandy
                23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
                Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
                65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
                Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
                Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                X