No announcement yet.

Waking up from surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly don't remember any pain for the first 3 or 4 days. I was pretty out of it. Also they took the tube out of my throat right after surgery so that wasn't a problem. Turning over was a little painful but you have to take it slow. I don't remember it hurting to get up and walk . More than anything I was just so totally tired--no energy at all, very weak. They do a great job of managing pain.
    Linda G.

Comment

not spinal fusion but when I had surgery to remove a tumor, I remember the nurses waking me up and my thought was

*AGHH...* just let me sleep...why are you people making noises?

of course a few seconds after that I remembered the faster I wake up and become alert... the faster I could go home (same day surgery)

I wasn't in pain unless I thought about the incision site.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Anya, I think it depends on the person, because there are others who've had no problems at all. I told them ahead of time about it though, and they gave me anti-nausea meds. beforehand (although I was still sick) - but it could have been a combination of things, because I had antibiotics as well as the anesthetic and morphine. I was worried about "getting sick", but it didn't really hurt my back. I was sitting up in the hospital bed really quickly, and had a bowl if needed. Sorry for the specifics!
        Cena
        Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
        Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
        July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Suzyjay, I doubt your surgeon had this surgery like all of us. What kind of advice is don't move? Hopefully we can shed some insight on this one for you. I woke up and thought "wow it's over" was relieved and went back to sleep. Nausea can be addressed easily and pain management is very high on the "to do" list for all the staff. They will constantly ask how you are doing. I was very comfortable the whole 8 days I was in the hosp. One day my morphine pump jammed but it was not to the point of pain where I thought I would scream. I went without pain relief for 4 hours and lived to tell the story. I hope this helps along with all the other posts pain is controlled very well.

Comment

hiya guys

Before my op i never thought about any of this and i think that was the best way to deal with it...for me, but everybody needs to prepare themselves in different ways.

I initialyy woke up in intensive care and i just remember i had a hunky male nurse to myself and i was just chatting poo to him about my boyfriend-i then remember waking up againa nd asking if id had the op yet...can you believe it!?! i was in no pain and probably not even on this planet.

Ive got random memories of waking up and seeing different members of my fam but nothing else. apparently i was chatting away and introduced my sisters to the nurse as "the ugly sisters" which they questioned me about later but i had the perfect exscuse...morphine!!

i didnt have a lot of pain but was given a morphine drip that i could control myself which was great.

I dont knwo where you guys are based but the only thing i would forward think about is the food they give you if you are in the UK. although you wont want to eat much-when you see what they are giving you , you definately wont want to eat.

Sickness tablets are given and work great.

good luck-you wont need it though!!

Comment

Thanks everyone...I am little less anxious about my surgery. I can believe it's just six days away

Sue

Comment

dont worry hun

i would suggest one thing though...eat what you want before the op-over indulge and enjoy...you wont be eating for a little while after

enjoy!!

Comment

There is a little anti-nausea patch that you can request before you are put under... it goes just behind your ear. I had one for all 3 of my surgeries and never once was nauseated.

Suzy... the time has come for you to quit visiting here until after your surgery.... I don't say that in a mean way, but the more you read, the more you will worry... and these last few days.. you need to just put it out of your mind as much as you can. I personally believe that things are in God's hands and fretting over them doesn't help one whit. I know it's only human to worry.... but if you have faith, now is the time to stand on that faith. You have many prayers behind you and angels all around you.... so just relax in the knowledge that you are in the hands of the greatest physician of all.
                  (((((((hugs)))))))) Love and prayers..... JoAnn

Comment

hi sue, my surgery is in 7 days, i guess a day after you.im nervous too but i agree with joann and have faith that everything will be ok.
                    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

JoAnn you just reminded me that I had that patch too! I totally forgot about that. I didn't get it until I was in recovery. I don't remember feeling nauseaus AT ALL, but apparently I told someone I was. I think it was more in my head, because that was one of my biggest fears before surgery. Anyway, I had that patch on for 3 days and I had no stomach problems. I usually have a very weak stomach, so I guess it worked!

Comment

much good thoughts to you all....

Sue & Trudy, & also Kim(KKONG in CA)
                        I will be sending good thoughts your way on all of your surgeries. Personally speaking, I think what I imagined was way worse than the reality of it all....I have an active imagination!
                        Looking forward to your first entries after surgery.....Lynne
                        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                        fused T-11 to L-5/Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYCity

Comment

Working...
                        X