No announcement yet.

Log Rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chriswbs-- stay positive, stay fit...you'll do it! As far as the sleeping, I've never slept so soundly....on my back! Husband says I don't move like I used to thru the night....! Ly

Comment

Chris,

For the first few weeks when you get into bed it is a big production! My husband would shift my legs and hips for me because I didn't feel like I was laying straight, but I wasn't able to pick up my hips and adjust myself. Then it is how many pillows tonight, where do you want them placed, is everything where you can reach it? Heaven forbid that once you get that all worked out, you remember you hadn't taken your medicine or you have to go to the bathroom all of a sudden. Then you repeat the whole process again. After a few weeks it's not as bad. If you have an anterior incision, it might cause more pain to sleep on your side. It took about a couple of months for me to lay on my side for even just a few minutes. When it got to where I could lay on the side incision, I would wake up to turn over from my side to front and visa versa. Now it doesn't bother me. I also sleep more soundly and with a whole lot less moving around. I still log roll in and out of bed but you kinda adapt it as you get better. Now it's more like a quick roll get up thing. It just becomes normal.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Lynne,

My biggest problem now is that when I have a good day, I go all out, and then I pay for it. Some times I wonder if I am just stupid!!!

A couple of weeks ago I felt so good, and I knew that my kitchen floor hadn't been scrubbed since before my surgery so I thought I would do it. I was down on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor and I suffered for days.

In a way I was so happy that I could do it, but then I was sad that I hurt afterwards. It may have hurt but I did it, and that made me very happy!!!

Am I stupid???
        Shari

Comment

shari---thk god for the swifter(sp??) I clean with that & I use old towels to clean my kitchen floor & basically use my feet.....sometimes I feel like a monkey...I have developed great leg muscles......Ly
          http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I am 6 weeks post-op and find that log rolling is the only way I can get in or out of bed. It hasn't been difficult to get use to. I also sleep on my sides with a pillow between my legs. That breaks up the soreness of just lying in one position all night. I was sleeping on my side in the hospital so when I came home it was not difficult to do. Sleeping on my back has just become routine also as I was always a stomach sleeper. I never did, even in the hospital, have to sleep in my brace so that was not an issue for me.
            Linda G

Comment

Theresa,

I laughed when I read your comment. I can just imagine what a big production it is. But what do you do if you don't have anyone to tuck you in?

Chris

Comment

Chris,

It takes even longer!!! After the first couple of weeks I was doing it more on my own, you just arrange everything just so before you get into bed. By then we had also gotten me a bed rail for the side of the bed. I would grab that for some support and leverage when I needed to turn or get up.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Something stable by the bed does help

I put my walker (without wheels) beside my bed so I could use it for support and something firm to grab onto getting into and out of bed the first few weeks. A bed rail would do the same thing, but you can move the walker out of the way if needed.

Now that I am stronger, I can just use the bed to push up from but at first it is difficult if your bed is soft and there is a lot of give.

Deb

Comment

Working...
                  X