No announcement yet.

need to talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, my surgery is a week from Friday and I, too, am starting to feel jitters. Not sure if it's the hospital stay, the first few days out of the hospital or the months of recovery that are making me more nervous.

Thanks for all of the helpful hints given. Any tips on what I should take to the hospital?

BTW, my anterior and posterior surgeries are now a week a part. The expectation is that I will leave the hospital, then return for the second surgery. Has anyone had their surgeries so far apart? How was that? Maybe that's what is giving me jitters!
    Surgeries were Dec. 1 & 8, 2006.
    All went well.

Comment

Hi...

I have a list of helpful tips on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

A lot of adults have surgeries a week apart, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually leaving the hospital during that week. Who is doing your surgery?

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Asymmetric,

Your concerns and fears are valid, but I have to agree with Linda, as far as leaving the hospital after the first surgery. Mine was 6 days apart and I stayed in the hospital the entire time.

Of course, we are all different, but it it also easy to get confused about what is going to happen when so many things are going through our minds.

Your "jitters" are completely normal!!! We've all had them!!! We are all here for you!!!

Shari

Comment

Preparing for surgery

Well, I am the special education director for the the Austin School District. It is my job to ensure individualized plans are made for each child with disabilities (10,300 kids with disabilities). So, I put my professional skills to work on myself prior to surgery. I hope all the details will help someone but I think the laundrey basket is a great accommodation also!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

joan

Comment

Gayle,

So sorry for the late reply!! I know exactly how you feel. My surgery is in 5 weeks and I am starting to freak out as well. For the past week or so I've been having (what I think are) anxiety attacks. I start to think about surgery, then i get lightheaded, start crying hysterically and it becomes hard to breathe.

I'm trying very hard to think positively. Think of all the great things that will come of this... no (or less) pain, a straight back, and strength from going through something like this! I have to literally talk to myself (outloud) and talk myself out of freaking out. I've been told, and I believe, that our minds are amazingly powerful, so we have to continue to put positive thoughts in our heads!!!

I wish you all the best... My prayers are with you!

Lesly

Comment

Working...
            X