What do you do for work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

I think it's wonderful that you have found a way to have a career doing something that you love!!! This surgery can be a life changing experience sometimes, and you have obviously taken the right path for you.

We can't always return to our previous professions, and I admire how you have made the adjustment. I also would bet that you are much happier singing than sitting at a computer!!!

All my respect,
    Shari

Comment

Thanks Shari! I consider myself very fortunate also.

By the way -- you do realize that I'm still waiting for surgery, right? I thought maybe you assumed I'd already had it.
      Last edited by Singer; 11-29-2006, 08:25 AM.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Shari, you're very good at emphasising the positives!!!

Please let me say here, I am not complaining about sitting all day, I just can't do it anymore! I knew I shouldn't (on doctor's advice) go for a career with a sitting environment but foolishly, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I've done many things since my surgery, I dance regularly (ballet and jazz), I can still do the splits, cartwheels and have better flexibility than some un-fused people. I've jumped out of a helicopter, I've carried heavy equipment around and I've been determined right from the start not to let the surgery have an adverse affect on my life.

Five years of being at a desk job and I realise that sometimes there is an affect and I need to make choices now to allow me to lead the life I want in the future. I'm still young at 29, there is many years left for another career to start now. And, I'm really looking forward to feeling 'normal' again, where I don't need to plan my day so carefully so as not to put myself in pain from sitting.

Comment

Hi Melissak,

I do try to stay positive as much as I can!!!! I have had a difficult recovery and I am still not back to work. I think it's wonderful that you have been able to achieve all that you have after your surgery!!!

You are young and strong and I have no doubt that you will be able to achieve whatever goal's you set for yourself. You have to be strong to get through this surgery!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes, I do know your surgery is in June of '07.

I am just showing my respect, to you, for being able to find a different path. I think it's great!!!

Shari

Comment

Excellent chair

I have a 93 degrees thoracic kyphosis on the right side, with slight lumbar scoliosis on the left; no surgery yet. All work experience has been sitting at a desk. Typical office chairs provided no back support, mostly because my back is assymetrical. Now I work from my home office and I bought a chair that was worth the approx. $1,000 investment. I went to store that specializes in fitting chairs to one's body (the "Back Shop" in Berkeley CA) and the sales rep was very knowledgable and helpful. The chair I bought has all the usual adjustments, plus an adjustible back with velcro straps to tighten the padding; the sales rep fitted the padding to my curvature. Now I can sit comfortably with adequate support.
              Sorry I don't have the name of the manufacturer now, but when I find it I will post it.
              As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
              X