No announcement yet.

What do you do for work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am giving serious consideration to teaching. For me it seems that the more I move around the better I feel, I've done the waitressing and fast food shop assistant thing whilst at Uni and never had any problems but it's not something that I want to pursue for a career.

After my surgery in 1992 (at 14 years of age), I did school by correspondance for two years and then returned to a regular high school for the last year and a half. I didn't experience any problems then either.

Maybe its age and/or time but the sitting all day I just can't do anymore, I've been working shorter days for about 9 months to cope but had problems from the first week of being a graduate accountant 4 years ago. The companies who make painkillers and those heat-up wheat bags have been well supported during this time!!!

I'm still keen to here more from you guys, this is a great place for sharing! Thanks.

Melissa

Comment

Well, I have to chime in on this one. And I know you'll all say I'm just being negative.

I am self-supporting and have to work. And at my age looking for a new career path to accommodate post-surgical pain, numbness, whatever, is out of the question. I hope to retire from my present job within the next five years. I have a desk job and sit for 9-10 hours a day without any difficulty whatsoever. If getting straight means not being able to sit or stand for any length of time, I'd rather stay crooked and functional. This really has me worried.

Chris

Comment

I'm fine on sitting...Ly...post-op almost 4 mths.....

Comment

Hi Chris,

It appears that you are able to live a happy and healthy life without any complications from scoliosis. And there isn't one of out here on this forum that isn't jealous!!! Good for you!!!

I only hoped that I could have had the kind of career that would have put me in the same position as you are now!!! I'm not sure what you do, but at some point we all have to make choices.

I feel that combining all of our different post-op sensations, conditions and situations is unfair. But I am happy that your path has given you so much satisfaction!!!

We all make chioces in life, whether they're right or wrong!!! And who is the judge???

Just my opinion!!!

Shari

Comment

I teach Spanish to children at an elementary school. Currently I only assist, but the boss wants me to start teaching on my own. What I really want to do is to interpret and translate Spanish and teach English as a Second Language (ESL), which I am currently working on getting a degree in at the college I go to.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
              Well, I have to chime in on this one. And I know you'll all say I'm just being negative.

I am self-supporting and have to work. And at my age looking for a new career path to accommodate post-surgical pain, numbness, whatever, is out of the question. I hope to retire from my present job within the next five years. I have a desk job and sit for 9-10 hours a day without any difficulty whatsoever. If getting straight means not being able to sit or stand for any length of time, I'd rather stay crooked and functional. This really has me worried.

Chris
              No kidding. Why on Earth would you want to have surgery then?
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I am happy to have the cosmetic benefits from this surgery, but I don't think I could have possibly done it if it were not for the constant pain I was in before my surgery. Everyone here makes their own decisions and I for one would not judge anyones.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Well i have no pain just some discomfort when im cleaning for long periods of time or doing stuff without taking a break. But i don't have back pain nothing like what i hear on this forum. Anyway im getting surgery next year even though i don't live with the pain im only 21yrs old if i don't have it imagine when im in my 50's or 60's i could be in stirfe.

Lee
                  Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

My turn to comment. After reading all these posts thus far once again we are all different in our post-op abilities. I was a dental asst. and can't see going back to sitting chair side with a Dr. The weird leaning, twisting and bending I need to do to see and do my job isn't something I want to experiment with. It was very tough to let my license lapse when I got the renewal notice but I would rather go back into sales with standing and sitting vs dental contortion. At 9 months out I am doing everything with very limited discomfort. I only have trouble if I go 2-3 days of running around and not taking it easy. Sitting and standing are NOT a problem.

Chris, I think you need to think positive. Why do you think you might need to need to change careers, are you are a triathlete? That would be a tough one to keep up. Remember you are a lumbar only curve like I was, I think it will be better then you think.

My husband made the comment today that I seemed so much better at the end of a busy day then the beginning of a pre-op day. (Pain wise.) You better believe it!

Comment

I think Chris said that even if she has a lumbar curve, she needs to get all her spine fused, if I'm not mistaken(her doctor has told her).

But anyway, like it has been said earlier we are all so different in our pre and post op abilities and pains. I personally think if a person doesn't have pain pre op I wouldn't get surgery with the risks it can bring(years down the line as well), and wait and see when I would get pain but that's just me and I understand others who feel that way.

It's all so interesting to see how pain can affect us. I see that some people couldn't stand pre op where I had no problem at all for 10 hours straight and sitting was a problem but isn't as much now, and for some it's vice versa.

Ok I'm rambling and it's starting to mix me up now, lol.
                      Last edited by sweetness514; 11-24-2006, 01:56 PM.
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness,

I don't want this surgery, and especially after reading Marcia's report this morning. She and I are the same age. But while I'm doing reasonably well now, I know my big curve is only going to get bigger, and I don't want to end up a crumpled old woman in chronic pain either. But I have to admit that I fear being fused to the pelvis may create problems for me in terms of sitting at a desk job all day.

I've seen three excellent surgeons; two recommend front and back fusion from about T-5 to the pelvis, while surgeon #3 recommends only posterior from T-8 to the pelvis. This particular surgeon will not do anterior on a patient my age. But they all agree that I should have surgery within the next year or two.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I don't think any one of us wanted to have this surgery!!! And I think that you and I have interpreted Marcia's complications differently, I was under the impression that she had problems prior to the surgery that were discovered during it??? I could be wrong!!!

I have to agree that it is not the easiest thing to go through, but you mentioned you didn't want to be a "crumpled up old woman in chronic pain", and I think that is what drove me to my decision to have the surgery.

We all have to make choices in life, and then we have to live with those choices. And I think that pertains to every aspect of our lives. I wish you nothing but the best with whatever choice you make, but I also wish you would not be so negative towards those of us that have made the choice to have the surgery.

I didn't choose to have scoliosis, it chose me, and I had to make a choice!!!

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                            Sweetness,

I don't want this surgery, and especially after reading Marcia's report this morning. She and I are the same age. But while I'm doing reasonably well now, I know my big curve is only going to get bigger, and I don't want to end up a crumpled old woman in chronic pain either. But I have to admit that I fear being fused to the pelvis may create problems for me in terms of sitting at a desk job all day.

I've seen three excellent surgeons; two recommend front and back fusion from about T-5 to the pelvis, while surgeon #3 recommends only posterior from T-8 to the pelvis. This particular surgeon will not do anterior on a patient my age. But they all agree that I should have surgery within the next year or two.

Chris
                            That's not as big a surgery, wich is good. Like Shari said it is your decision though, and not even doctors can make it for you. I personally think it's normal to be scared and have concerns before a surgery of this magnitude, but it's also good to be comfortable with a surgeon and at peace with a decision before taking this big step. From what I read, since you're not in that much pain you can still take some time to think of if or when you will have surgery, and don't stop asking questions to surgeons about everything, even if you wait a while longer to have the surgery, if that is your decision.

Best of luck.

Comment

I can only add that I am thankful every day forward that I was led to the decision to have the 2 operations needed to help me. Let's be so thankful that there are gifted surgeons &that we have the option of having this done. I had 2 operations back to back, 9am until 7:30pm! It was the most scared I've ever been in my life, not knowing if I'd be able to move after..But in my case, I was so, so disformed & since it affected my organs, I felt I had no other choice. It was getting much worse... I just felt such faith in my surgeon(s) & positive in my decision that it was right for me...It may take some people several years to make this kind of decision. I knew I would decide within a 2 yr period & made the decision in 2 mths....
                              watch my surgeon on discovery channel this thurs. night!!!!

post-op 4 mths/aug 1st 2006/fused T-11 to L-5/95 thorocolumbar curve reduced into the 50's/ Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim at HSS in NYCity

Comment

Okay, here's my two cents on this topic: I used to sit at a computer all day but am sure I could not do that now. Now I work as a freelance weddings-and-funerals singer, and what's interesting about that is, I can stand and sing without too much pain....but if I stand around without singing, I do have pain. I think it's because when I sing correctly, I'm using my abdominal muscles, which seem to take the pressure off my spine.
                                Chris
                                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                                X